Preparing a concrete floor for ceramic tile install

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I have done very little tile installs and need some info. Going to help my son do the floor in a bathroom that had a glued down vinyl. Apart from scraping up the remaining glue what else do I need to do?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Apart from scraping up the remaining glue what else do I need to do?
if clean (meaning no paint or old glue) and no cracks in the pad, I don't think you need anything, Shane
that's guidance we got from a flooring pro

we rented a floor scrapper too.

1629510221931.png

it was still a b1tch

..L.T.A.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shane T

Willy P

Name
Willy P
if clean (meaning no paint or old glue) and no cracks in the pad, I don't think you need anything, Shane

we rented a floor scrapper too.

View attachment 110149

it was still a b1tch

..L.T.A.
Taking up sheet floor sucks bananas. It might been easier with a floor scraper, not a scrapper.

Years ago while prepping a floor for vinyl we had to bust out some tile. We stopped for a break and the cat came in. He came over and was sniffing around the machine. Steve hit the switch. I had no idea cats could fly but that one cleared the room in one leap and instant air time.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I have done very little tile installs and need some info. Going to help my son do the floor in a bathroom that had a glued down vinyl. Apart from scraping up the remaining glue what else do I need to do?
Level the floor. Sometimes need to rent a grinder or use leveling compound to get an even surface.

Reactions: Mikey P

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
We'll scrape it good but I assume there will still be glue "in" the concrete. Will that be a problem with adhesion of the mastic?
Level the floor. Sometimes need to rent a grinder or use leveling compound to get an even surface.
It is level and no cracks.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
We'll scrape it good but I assume there will still be glue "in" the concrete.

I only know enough to be dangerous, Shane.
we've only done maybe a couple dozen ceramic installs in kitchen and bath remodels, and only a few of those were over slab.

I don't know if there's anything in vinyl glue that will cause thinset glue to fail, but I highly doubt it ...and in particular what may have been "absorbed" on the molecular level

I do know one of the ceramic floors we installed over slab 15 years ago still looks dandy and in sound condition

EDIT to add
I also know every one of those slabs that had vinyl down for years was a PITA to scrape clean.

Willy, we scraped and scrapped the old vinyl :lol:

..L.T.A.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom