prepping the valve stem o-rings

matt sheppard

hey everybody!

i don't want to sound like an idiot but is the a good way to prep the o rings in a stem kit? i use a butler wand with a paraplate valve, work with 450-500 psi and usually rinse with last step or propowder 2000. i grease up the stem with vasoline but sometimes the valve o rings blow out in like 2 days. any ideas?

thanks

matt

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
buy a new valve instead, they aren't that much. probably poor quality o rings in the kit. to much pressure? check to see if the valve is good to that pressure.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Matt;

First, make sure you are using Viton o'rings....

Then check the stem & valve body for excess stem clearance or sharp edges.

The valve may have to be replaced.

We stock the o'rings, stems and valves.

Larry Cobb

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
"paraplate valve"

Absolutly the best wand valve that's made..i use WD40 when i put my together...!

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Bob;

I would have to disagree with your statement.

The valve stem is much too thin, castings vary too much,

and it has only one O'ring instead of two for sealing.

Two O'rings keep the stem centered in the valve.

We like the Kingston 1000 PSI model with SS stem,
which we use on the Dynachem Truckmount angle-jet wands.

k1000k.jpg

The SoftTouch SS valve also has two o'rings.

Larry

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I'm not familar...

is it CNC machined SS Billit?

OK i jus saw that you sED Soft Touch SS is it cast or CNC...?

OK now i saw the stem wit TWO o rings....

I see sED the blind man....looks nice too.....

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
Buy a tube of Parker O Lube... it is by far the best I have found and is specifically formulated for this exact application.

Yes, sometimes it really is just that simple...

And as far as the valve goes, I like the Paraplate and the Kingston on different tools so I can see both your points.

The Parker O Lube is also the only thing I use (applied with Q-tip) to lube the female quick connects on the high pressure line, it works great and lasts longer than other products I've tried.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I had a PMF v800 valve that ate O rings also.

After changing them too damn often I just changed out the valve assembly. That solved my problem.

My therory was the brass was being slowly eaten away and needed to be replaced.

If I'm not mistaken pro2000 powder has an oxy bleach additive which in my opinion eats away at the brass.

Rex Tyus

i grease up the stem with vasoline but sometimes the valve o rings blow out in like 2 days. any ideas?

Call Green Glides and order a new valve to replace the POS paraplate. Lisa or Greenie will hook you up with a better valve for about the price of PP stem kit.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I'm sure Butler still uses the POS brass paraplate which once it is worn slightly will not hold o rings very well.

A step up from that is the SS paraplate which Bob likes but it is still a single stem o ring and I have never seen one hold up to high heat very well.

Next would be the Kingston which Larry likes but unless you like triggering a very hard valve all day long and developing things like tendinitis or carpal tunnel I would stay away from that one to.

For the money I would go with the soft touch and forget about the brass one. For the few extra bucks get the stainless one. Your hand will really appreciate it, it triggers so easily. In fact the first day using one you will probably go out to the truck a few times to check to see if your pressure has fallen. It triggers that easy.
You can get them from Larry, Greenie or probably any disty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom