Pressure Vs Flow...Porty talk!!

jstucky

Name
Jordan Stucky
So...argued with my dad today again..I think I'm right but it's hard to argue with a guy that says he's cleaned carpet for 30 years blah blah blah..telling you that your wrong....I had a ServiceMaster franchise blah blah..

but dad I've got Mikeysboard and you don't! and never have..ha

So bear with my stupid questions and iron out what I think I already know but am just holding back.

When talking pressure/flow with a Porty.

The Pump determines the flow correct? In conjuction with your tip sizes.

If I turn down the PSI am I turning down the flow also or is your flow ONLY determined by the pump and the tips?

For example..If I am cleaning with a 2 GPM pump and 9502 tips at 500 psi..And I turn it down to 250 PSI am I still putting out the same amount of water, just at different pressure??

Please help me clarify all this please!!

Also does it hurt to put smaller tips on a wand that machine has a bigger pump?? (Are you hurting the pump to not let it flow all the water is designed to put out?? Or is it just fine?

Thanks
Jordan

jstucky

Name
Jordan Stucky
good timing???

that mean you wanna buy Von Schrader machine or what Mikey?? :)

Am I missing something...It's 12:23 am my time....ha

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
When the tip size is increased the flow increases and the pressure drops. I prefer to run the optimal size for 500 psi. Remember to divide the jet size listed on the chart by the number of jets on your wand.

These pumps need back pressure to run properly. Jet size is very important. Run an open hose and see what you get. Then put your finger on the hose to create back pressure and see what happens.

With enough back pressure a 250psi pump can go 900psi or more.

http://www.pumptec.com/PDFs/Catalogs/Ca ... alog08.pdf

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
jstucky said:
If I turn down the PSI am I turning down the flow also or is your flow ONLY determined by the pump and the tips?

Jordan,

The regulator works by bypassing some water back to the water tank or pump inlet. The more you turn it down, the more water bypasses and the less water goes to the wand, resulting in lower pressure and therefore lower flow. If you have correct jetting for your system, the pump supplies a little more water than the jetting can use, allowing the regulator a little leeway to work.

If you have large enough jetting (too large like Dave says), and the pressure is low enough that the regulator does not bypass any water (trying to maintain pressure) then under this condition the flow is determined mainly by the pump. But under normal operating conditions (jetting small enough that the regulator works) the flow is determined primarily by the jetting.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
So what I'm reading is; if you tighten up the regulator (I don't have a pressure gauge on my porty) the flow decreases and so should the pressure. And if the regulator is loosened, the flow is increased and the pressure goes up because of resistance against the jets on the wand.
Correct me if my understanding is wrong.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Charles Lyman said:
So what I'm reading is; if you tighten up the regulator (I don't have a pressure gauge on my porty) the flow decreases and so should the pressure. And if the regulator is loosened, the flow is increased and the pressure goes up because of resistance against the jets on the wand.
Correct me if my understanding is wrong.

I confused you with my terminology. 'Turning down' the regulator means unscrewing/loosening it (turning down the pressure). So the exact reverse of your statement is true.

And you're putting the cart before the horse, strictly speaking. The regulator increases/decreases pressure, which causes the flow to change, not the other way around. So, your statement above should say:

Charles Lyman said:
So what I'm reading is; if you tighten up the regulator (I don't have a pressure gauge on my porty) the pressure increase causes more flow through the jet(s). And if the regulator is loosened, the pressure is decreased and causes the flow to go down.

You could buy a male and female disconnect, a tee, and a gauge to add an inline pressure gauge to your setup pretty cheap, by the way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom