Previous employee reference calls

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
What do you do when a nightmare ex-employee is seeking his next victim?

A) E-mail him the naked pictures the tech thought it would be funny to take of himself in your van abusing your wands

B) Tell him you'll sell him that techs previous years client list for a buck

C) Tell him your policy due to privacy laws are to say nothing more than acknowledge him as a previous technician

D) Tell them he was the biggest asset your firm ever had and you'd triple his salary and give him a $1000 referral fee to send him back

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Simplest answer is Richard's. If I call for a reference and get that response I know there's nothing good the previous employer can say about them.

Contrary to popular notion you actually have a greater risk of being sued by the next employer for not divulging serious problems (fired for harrassment, stealing from customers...) than being sued by the ex-employee. Ex-employee lawsuits make the news, but few are ever filed, and the only ones that make it to trial are the ones where the vindictive former employer lied about the employee to try and keep them from getting work.

Still, the simplest answer is Richard's

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Pee Wee Herman got told on for whacking his pud in a theater so what gives?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
"C"

I had one person who I called about a reference say to me, in a very careful and deliberate way: "You will be lucky if he works for you"

A tip I learned as a landlord: After you check any reference, call later from a friend's cell phone. You'd be surprised how many "company phones" answer "hello" the next time when its not your number on the caller ID.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
I believe there are laws regarding what can and can not be divulged. During my previous corporate life I was responsible for such activities. I do not recall if my guidelines were local and federal law or standard operating procedure.

You can only answer questions to verify information. Name, rank and serial number, dates of employment. No elaboration or extra information is to be conveyed.

With that being said, I was not the best at following rules. If I would recommend the current / former employee, I left the person with no question in their mind regarding the quality person they had the privilege of considering for employment. If someone wanted to leave my flock and move on, and they were leaving on good terms, I did everything I can to support that person in their future endeavor.

Conversely, if my former employee proved himself to be not worthy of my future support, that is stated in no uncertain terms. Never state specific incidents, that is where you could face issues. Do your good deed for the rest of humanity and let the caller know to keep looking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom