Previously moldy smell

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Client says that previous cleaner (quite a few years ago) left carpet smelling moldy.
I assume that he soaked it and it took the rug too long to dry.

Carpet has not been cleaned for a while since. Currently does not smell moldy.

Is there a need to do a different cleaning beside leave fan, lots of dry passes etc.
Say: Spraying a sanitizer, something for mildew (before, after?)
If yes, which products?

I and the client are not interested in pulling carpet and checking pad etc.

Reactions: scrrocks

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Lee, my concern is that the previous cleaning has contributed to mold (mildew) either in the glue layer or in pad.
The carpet needs a deep cleaning. Not sure if the moisture can activate (dormant) mildew (mold, fungi, bacteria or whatever the right terminology is).

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I use 40 volumne on all carpets which will help kill any mold it contacts. Don't know if odorcide will affect it.

Gene

Reactions: ruff

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Maybe she had poor circulation .. room will smell if it takes too long for the moisture to evaporate. I'd recommend a couple fans and maybe a dehumidifier since she did have issues previously. Document her past experience with the moldy smell issue incase something worse comes out of this cleaning.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Not sure if the moisture can activate (dormant) mildew (mold, fungi, bacteria or whatever the right terminology is).
Yes you are correct Ofer. Just because you don't smell it now doesn't mean its not there. Mold is ubiquitous (errrvvvery whurr) and is only waiting for moisture for it to grow. A carpet that has already had one incident has a pretty good head start on microbial activity. Carpet is an excellent home for mold when moisture is added dark at the base, nutrients in the form of soils and contaminants and no air movement at that level either. Add moisture and you have the perfect storm.

First of I'd be sure your client understands its their problem. You are there to help but they have a problem and cleaning may exacerbate the situation, even if just temporarily. What is the clients expectations? Are they trying to correct the situation? Do they just want it cleaned? How old is the carpet?

If they decide to clean it I would use as little moisture as possible and would dry it rapidly with air movers and possibly a dehumidifier.

order some Microban Clean Carpet Cleaner
That is a good suggestion Porkchop but
its not avaiable to Cali cleaners.

Last edited by a moderator:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I do have "Microban Disinfactant Spray Plus". It is CA approved.
Not quite clear from instructions, do I spray before and rinse, or spray after cleaning and leave on?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yes and yes and no.

Yes very good product and with your clientele I'd rinse it out. The question is how big is the problem?

Is just a little microbial activity that only smelled a little until it was dry? Just about any product will work for a brief few hours while it dries.

However if as you mentioned mold is rooted deeper into the backing then it is a much bigger problem. For it to effectively do its job the product will need to wet out the source for 10-15 minutes. That's not easy to do getting to the backing plus that a lot of product and it also contributes moisture to the environment too. :eekk:

Your best solution is move...I hear Kansas is a nice place. :winky:

See what the client wants, see how bad the problem is. Unless it smelled for days it might be a minor problem. Clean it dry it fast use a product that smells clean and fresh. Explain to the client you are not trying to cover up the problem but are temporarily masking an unpleasant odor for them .

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
So what is the difference between a NSS Carpet sanitizer at $15 a gallon/2 oz per gallon and that expensive Microban at $75 a gallon? And they contain the same amount of active ingredients?

I use the NSS to bonnet clean and sometimes as an extraction cleaner.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I can't answer your question regarding the two products, but I would caution you against drawing ANY conclusions based on your experiences related to one or two jobs every third month.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Most likely. Its microbial activity at some level.

Either that or you're standing too close to Jimmy and Marty. They're not exactly spring chickens anymore ya know.;)

Reactions: hogjowl

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I was going to through "Little" ribbing at Ofer that a Zipper might get it really dry quick.....(knowing he sold his recently)

But.....I see that jab was already kind of thrown out there.....2 fold :)

Other great info to this thread though...

I will now leave without putting up a video :lol:

Would seriously like to hear how this works out though and what does get used :)

Reactions: dgardner

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thrown and deflected "Carpet Toys" enthusiast :winky:
That low ball remark was made by that infamous Google bot- Ricardo Shabes, formerly known as Saint Richard a.k.a Dancing with Grass and or Mike's alter ego.

No worries mate, my all mighty Ti wand (flow 36) will do just fine, cause as you know, it's all in the flick of the wrist.
Just please pay attention and take the following to heart, cause I ain't gonna reveal all the secrets:

Bob Dylan- Sweetheart Like You:

"In order to deal in this game you've got to make the king disappear,
Its done with a flick of the wrist
Whats a sweetheart like you doing in a dump like this?"

Nuff said?
Or would you like me to switch to Neil Young :winky:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom