Pricing by emotion..

Mikey P

Administrator
I think some of you cocky veterans are in the same position that I am where your new customers come from such a strong referral source that they don't ask the price when you arrive...

On occasion I've done the work then come up with a price that I've later regretted. Either I went high out of frustration caused by poor conditions or the customer didn't prepare the house and I ended up moving too much furniture. Only to later realize that my emotions probably killed any chance of them calling back.

Ive been wrong and had them call a year or so later but my guilt is present until they do..

Do any of you worry about this sort of stuff?

Marty's comment of sticking to a phone quote price on a job that took twice as long as he guessed stired this up in me.

Granted it's only happend a few times here in NV but I can still recall those jobs....

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I think we've all done that and we have all pulled a Marty a time or two. I hate going into a house where they've confused me with the maid. I charge extra to pick up socks and underwear and kids toys. Lately, I am just more firm with the customer and let them know that they have to clear the floor, NOW. I never feel guilty though.

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
We all have won some and lost some over this issue. In my ninja training I've learned the way of the dog. Why he always comes up to you and wags his tail happy to see you? It's because he doesn't remember what happened the day before.

Wandslinger

Name
Tom Meyer
It's because you're a veteran and have dealt with the same situation a million times. You have become almost numb to their individual situation and expectations. It happens...

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
5B73B14F-DF8F-44AB-AD12-4F17D70D4368.gif

Reactions: Cleanworks

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Had our local Verizon store call and someone in Corporate said we are on their list and go clean it.

We told them we are not cheap and he said "that's OK.. You're on the list"

That wasn't good enough for me (or my wife) so I went and measured it Sunday and my wife is going to give them the price tomorrow... Just in case they change their minds.

But those surprises for both parties can suck.

Heck, we even have people hear the incorrect price sometimes over the phone.

I like to text the price (providing they text) for a record for both of us when people are not home. Now if I can just get my son in law to understand that all the time

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton

I recall doing a Scotchguard job in 89.

I hadn't measured but the owner was at work. She gave me her card number and said just do it.

$900 later for the scotchguard on top of the $250 carpet clean and the next day yup she complained

I didn't refund a cent.

Since then I confirm before proceeding.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I think some of you cocky veterans are in the same position that I am where your new customers come from such a strong referral source that they don't ask the price when you arrive...

On occasion I've done the work then come up with a price that I've later regretted. Either I went high out of frustration caused by poor conditions or the customer didn't prepare the house and I ended up moving too much furniture. Only to later realize that my emotions probably killed any chance of them calling back.

Ive been wrong and had them call a year or so later but my guilt is present until they do..

Do any of you worry about this sort of stuff?

Marty's comment of sticking to a phone quote price on a job that took twice as long as he guessed stired this up in me.

Granted it's only happend a few times here in NV but I can still recall those jobs....

I'm trying to remember the last good decision that I made emotionally.....it doesn't come to mind.

The next time you feel that desire to "nail them" because of poor preparation or filth, walk back to your truck to "get something" and cool off.

Listen to a good tune, think of a funny story/incident, or reflect on this thread. Then go back in do what's in your best long term interests, not just how this job makes you feel.

Take it from a guy who has dug himself into some deep problems when he followed his "first impulse".

F

FB7777

I'm trying to remember the last good decision that I made emotionally.....it doesn't come to mind.

The next time you feel that desire to "nail them" because of poor preparation or filth, walk back to your truck to "get something" and cool off.

Listen to a good tune, think of a funny story/incident, or reflect on this thread. Then go back in do what's in your best long term interests, not just how this job makes you feel.

Take it from a guy who has dug himself into some deep problems when he followed his "first impulse".
Sage advice

I know it will be shocking to hear, but my mouth has resulted in some negative business results over the years

I can't count the money I would have gained if I took Jim Pembertons advice in the heat of the moments

Except a few times... those assholes deserved my wrath and I'd do it over again Only meaner

Mikey P

Administrator

Actually I find that if I can send the invoice the next day, which is often the case with our sort of client, it gives me or our tech time to reflect on what the fair and unemotional price should be.

steve_64

Actually I find that if I can send the invoice the next day, which is often the case with our sort of client, it gives me or our tech time to reflect on what the fair and unemotional price should be.
I've done that too. While I'm working and cussing and the price is going up and up.
But the next day I've forgot how much it really hurt to do. A few whisky sours couple buds not beer and I've mellowed.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I call these reality adjusted pricing.
If a client is always late paying, their price will be adjusted to reflect it. And also if the place is always a mess and requires lots of extra work, client is always late etc.

If it's a one time issue I let it go. If its a pattern, I don't get heated or emotional, as a matter of fact its the furthest from it one can get. Cool headed reality adjustment.

And it feels damn good :winky:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom