Pricing residential carpet cleaning by the square foot

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
I price my residential cleaning by the ft2, but the average American seems to be functionally retarded.
These seem to be the same type that call an auto mechanic and asks over the phone how much to fix the funny noise it makes over 45mph.
How do you guys explain pricing to these people? I mean, this is 3rd grade level math here.

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
That is exactly why we do room pricing. Make it as easy as possible for them to figure it out.
I've considered it, but don't want to hear the arguments over why it isn't xyz price per room after I take measurments and their living room is over the per area price given on the phone, due to size. I dont want to get labeled bait and switch or shady.
I'm mostly commercial, those people get it. But these residential people I've been trying to market to more... theyre just dumb or something.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Charge by the area and tell them that living rooms are 2-3 areas. Let them know that this is an estimate to help them budget the job and tell them you always give a $50 range over the phone.

Reactions: AlienAgent

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I price my residential cleaning by the ft2, but the average American seems to be functionally retarded.
These seem to be the same type that call an auto mechanic and asks over the phone how much to fix the funny noise it makes over 45mph.
How do you guys explain pricing to these people? I mean, this is 3rd grade level math here.
Just give them some ball park prices and let them know you will measure when arrive and adjust the price up or down. 1000 sqft is $350. More is more, less is less. Stairs are extra. Most of my customers don't worry if I'm $50 over it under. Otherwise, you are going to have to go out and estimates.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I do sqft pricing. I don't care if it's easy or hard for the customer. SQFT is the great equalizer. No bullshit. If they can't figure it out or ballpark it in their head, they are free to call a room pricing guy.

I also raised my non commercial pricing to .40 this month. You should see some of the lemon sucking faces I'm forced to look at when quoting.

Mikey P

Administrator
I do sqft pricing. I don't care if it's easy or hard for the customer. SQFT is the great equalizer. No bullshit. If they can't figure it out or ballpark it in their head, they are free to call a room pricing guy.

I also raised my non commercial pricing to .40 this month. You should see some of the lemon sucking faces I'm forced to look at when quoting.

when did you become so surly?

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
when did you become so surly?
It's from dealing with price shoppers day in and day out. I finally realized that my customers get a better quality of cleaning from me than from the guys using just dry slurry and no CRB. So I just don't care anymore about haggling with people. I get plenty of calls from people that tried the cheap guys and were very unhappy.

Last edited:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Shasta county has a population of about 190k with mean income of $51k. If I was down in the bay area or Sacramento I would be priced higher.

• Wow
Reactions: Fat Mike

Mikey P

Administrator
It's from dealing with price shoppers day in and day out. I finally realized that my customers get a better quality of cleaning from me than from the guys using just dry slurry and no CRB. So I just don't care anymore about haggling with people. I get plenty of calls from people that tried the cheap guys and were very unhappy.

I'll say it again You should pay Monique to answer your phones

Your bowel movements will be considerably more pleasureful.

• Haha
Reactions: Nomad74

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
I price by the FT2. My phone estimates usually are within 10%. I estimate on the high end, so when actually measured, my customer has a pleasant moment of truth, rather than the opposite. If I loose a customer over $50 on a phone quote, I still sleep well at night. Will I price match the last guy or the Stanley Steemer quote? - no.

Knowing the overall FT2 of a home helps to determine scale of the rooms in the home. If the customer has no clue if their home is 1000 or 4000 FT2, a quick googling of the address helps. If the home was sold in the last several years, Redfin will also have all of the room dimensions.

If I am not closing the deal, I will always offer the in home quote.

The only place I get lost is guessing basements.

Name
Lee Stockwell
You all make this so hard. I did the sq ft dog and pony show for years. I got very proficient at it and all the measuring tools and techniques.

I ditched all that after spending a day with Steve Smith near Nashville TN and seeing how his multi-truck operation and office operated so smoothly with a modified area pricing model. An important detail is that PRICE is not the main issue of good clients, so don't lead the conversation in that direction. LISTEN for their non-price issues and address them.

more....

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You all make this so hard. I did the sq ft dog and pony show for years. I got very proficient at it and all the measuring tools and techniques.

I ditched all that after spending a day with Steve Smith near Nashville TN and seeing how his multi-truck operation and office operated so smoothly with a modified area pricing model. An important detail is that PRICE is not the main issue of good clients, so don't lead the conversation in that direction. LISTEN for their non-price issues and address them.

more....
Room pricing is fine as long as the customer understands large rooms may be classed as 2 rooms or more. Especially in basements. I do room pricing on empty townhouses. 5 rooms, hall and stairs, $300. If it's a 3 level, additional $50 for the extra staircase.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Everybody worried about BIG rooms, but they are pretty obvious, just put a (2) beside them on the receipt. No drama.

The key to making it all work out is to not give away the SMALL rooms.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
when price isnt an issue anyways they have no problem with you calling a room = to 2-3 areas if its large.

I went back and forth and the sqft pricing over the course of a year just requires so much extra work, if you estimate in person everytime and have someone who can roll around and just do bids all day then definitely worth it.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Is Redding in the hood?
Doug. I’m sitting in the bed of my truck at my church handing out Halloween candy to the neighborhood kids. Does this answer your question?

5A2E0ECD-74CD-4A37-B054-21AFE3BD6A6E.jpeg

Name
Jeff T
I’m not taking the children trick-R-treating....
We are having Korean BBQ, then a scavenger hunt around the yard for the 30 tiny bags of treats, hot tub, then..
MOVIE NIGHT!!!!

Reactions: Nomad74

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich

This is how I feel about it too. I'm at $100 min charge up to the first $100 ft2 and $.35 per ft2 thereafter.
By the time I drive 20 miles one way across the county, I need to pull at least a hundo. But that minimum charge is the deal breaker for these people.
"Oh, you mean you won't come clean my filthy house for less than $100?"
I don't know what these people are thinking.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
This is how I feel about it too. I'm at $100 min charge up to the first $100 ft2 and $.35 per ft2 thereafter.
By the time I drive 20 miles one way across the county, I need to pull at least a hundo. But that minimum charge is the deal breaker for these people.
"Oh, you mean you won't come clean my filthy house for less than $100?"
I don't know what these people are thinking.
Time is what it takes to train your customer base. If $100 is your minimum, just say you're already $25-50 cheaper than the franchises' minimum charge, and they get the owner of the company to come clean, unlike the big box cleaners who are sending out a commission based tech.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom