Prochem Everest Upgrade...

Jimbo

So I have another Prochem to Hot Rod...a Prochem Everest HP...it had 3k hours on it when I got it...runs really well...but most know I like to push the edge if I can.

I want a little more heat...so I just spent the day changing the Everest over to an electrical fan setup.

I used an electic fan on my 800A Prochem...it worked really well at helping the unit heat up quickly, because it would not be on when the unit is cool...also, when you are cleaning...and grabbing the heat from the heat exchangers...you did not have a mechanical fan constantly coolling the radiator and coolant.

Also...I believe there is a small HP savings by running an electric fan...all the better for having extra OOMPH for cleaning!

I acquired the parts over the last month or so...mostly from Summit Racing.

I used a 15" Low profile electric fan...I think it is 1500 or 1550 CFM...gotta use the skinniest fan they have...clearance is an issue. The original mechanical fan was removed...along with the long bolts and the machine spacer between the fan and the water pump...shorter bolts...6mm by about about 5/8 along with lockwashers weere used for that.

I mounted the electric fan solidly to the frame in back of the radiator.

I needed a port for a 3/8" temperature sensor on the fan control unit...so I used an older thermostat housing off a Prochem 405...the vertical housing has a port on the left side that the temperature sensor screws right in.

The original thermostat in the Nissan A15 is a 182 degree F unit...I used a new Stant 185 degree thermostat. The controller I picked out is a relay that is controlled by the temperature sensor...it turns the fan ON at 205 degrees...and off at 180 degrees.

I decided that there is a heat issue with the Everest unit packing too much heat into the van...on an 80 degree day it would be over 120 inside the van...with windows and doors open...so I am using a fan that is reversable...right now I have it set up as a pusher fan...to help exhaust the heat out of the van.

Next up...Kunkle or Bayco vacuum relief valve!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom