Prochem performer plus

carpetjim

Today while cleaning prochem perform plus shut down every 8 minutes. Started right back up, and worked for 8 minutes more, and so on.
Oil level fine. High pressure was fine . Float in tank works fine. Water in radiator fine.
Any ideas from the pros out there?

Thanks

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
It just seems like if it was clogged or fowled as you say it would not start right up again no problem. My experience with carburetors tells me it would be tough to start. Or do I have that wrong?
Pm lee Stockwell. He has lots of experience with those machines.

Mikey P

Administrator
It just seems like if it was clogged or fowled as you say it would not start right up again no problem. My experience with carburetors tells me it would be tough to start. Or do I have that wrong?
Carburetors can **** up your fueling throughout the entire delivery, not just on startup, especially as they get hot

Reactions: carpetjim

FredC

Village Idiot
more likely a fuel pump issue.......or a bad safety switch (provided it isn't overheating and fluids are correct).....or a coil

Reactions: SamIam

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Does your machine have a low pressure shutoff sensor on the water pump? If it does, unplug both the low and high pressure shutoffs and connect them. If it doesn't shut down, that'll tell you the sensor is starting to fail

carpetjim

Pm lee Stockwell. He has lots of experience with those machines.

Does your machine have a low pressure shutoff sensor on the water pump? If it does, unplug both the low and high pressure shutoffs and connect them. If it doesn't shut down, that'll tell you the sensor is starting to fail
Hi, Thanks for idea. I know it has a low-pressure sensor, so when the pressure is not enough, (say i forget to turn water source on, after about 1 minute of spraying pre spray machine shuts off) I dont think it has a high pressure sensor, unless its connected to low pressure sensor. I know it did not shut of because of low pressure though. The idea of it starting to fail is a good one and will check.

Cheers

Reactions: Cleanworks

carpetjim

@Newman did you ever figure out why yours was shutting down?
I ran it at home, simulating carpet cleaning, meaning putting engine under workload stress. Ran it for 35 minutes no problem. Checked everything I could think of. I guess I'm just going to have to use it on a job to see if it happens again. The only bad thing is when it happens it just adds a lot of extra time to job. I only do a job a day, so its really no big deal. Cheers.

FredC

Village Idiot
I ran it at home, simulating carpet cleaning, meaning putting engine under workload stress. Ran it for 35 minutes no problem. Checked everything I could think of. I guess I'm just going to have to use it on a job to see if it happens again. The only bad thing is when it happens it just adds a lot of extra time to job. I only do a job a day, so its really no big deal. Cheers.
did this happen over several jobs or just your last one?

Particularly steep driveway?
maybe some debris in fuel system?

carpetjim

did this happen over several jobs or just your last one?

Particularly steep driveway?
maybe some debris in fuel system?
Hi , thanks for response. I did a job Tuesday everything was fine. Wednesday did the job, parked flat and it happened. I kinda felt weird about water supply, but that should not matter, as machine makes it’s own pressure.
Funny you mention parking on slope. I learned that when I park on to much of a slope the high pressure pump low pressure kicks in and shuts machine off. I have always wondered if other performer plus owners have this situation.

Cheers

Reactions: FredC

FredC

Village Idiot
What do you mean weird about the water supply? While the machine makes it's own pressure it needs proper supply flow to do so. Otherwise it can outrun the supply*/cavitate/low water cutoff.

water box may fill to normal by the time you check

probably not the issue but possible I guess

*buildup/filters might make issue more likely to happen

carpetjim

more likely a fuel pump issue.......or a bad safety switch (provided it isn't overheating and fluids are correct).....or a coil
Hi, thanks for response. Fuel pump and fuel filter are fine.
What do you mean about bad safety switch?

Cheers
What do you mean weird about the water supply? While the machine makes it's own pressure it needs proper supply flow to do so. Otherwise it can outrun the supply*/cavitate/low water cutoff.

water box may fill to normal by the time you check

probably not the issue but possible I guess

*buildup/filters might make issue more likely to happen
i was at a subdivision I’ve been to before in Folsom, built 2003, with one of those water restricters on the spigot, of course it sounds weird, but I just had this felling before my machine shut off the supply something wasn’t right, after my third shut down I took hose off and checked water, it was coming out ok, and I have cleaned in this subdivision no problem. So thought it was fine.
I do carry a water pressure gage. I should have checked it.

That is a very possibility of what happened about out running the supply, as I was never a truck to see pressure when it happened.

Thanks

Reactions: Cleanworks

FredC

Village Idiot
I do carry a water pressure gage. I should have checked it.

Thanks
The pressure, provided there isn't a reducer, might appear fine. It's the flow/gpm that matter. Flow restrictors of 1.5gpm are common (?) and could potentially be outran by the TM in operation depending on tool flow rate/pressure.

ChartFlow (1).jpg

Last edited:

carpetjim

The pressure, provided there isn't a reducer, might appear fine. It's the flow/gpm that matter. Flow restrictors of 1.5gpm are common (?) and could potentially be outran by the TM in operation depending on tool flow rate/pressure.

View attachment 117661
At this time , I think this is what happened.
I will know when I do my next job. Off for a week due to heat.
Thanks for the information.
Cheers

carpetjim

Fuel pump needs to be UNDER the van, cooler, and PUSHES more effectively than it pulls, especially in hot weather.
Thanks for reply and information. I have a boat gas tank 2 plus gallon. mounted in back of van with pump and filter 4 feet away. (i dont use van gas tank for machine) I have cleaned on way hotter days over the years without any situation occurring with regards to fuel pump. I am off for a week cause of heat, at least I hope, and look forward to doing a job to see if it was the water source causing the problem.

Cheers

carpetjim

Today while cleaning prochem perform plus shut down every 8 minutes. Started right back up, and worked for 8 minutes more, and so on.
Oil level fine. High pressure was fine . Float in tank works fine. Water in radiator fine.
Any ideas from the pros out there?

Thanks

carpetjim

I did do a job today, 100 degrees outside. We are going through heat wave here for next 7 days.
Performer started up and ran like a champ. (knock on wood) no problems whatsoever.
I believe the problem was low pressure source, and my Devastator wand applies lots of water, more then my other $500 wands. I’m guessing my fill tank went down faster then it could fill up therefore low pressure and then shut off of machine.
Knowing your machine is so important, and I try to master my machine, but still run into situations I need help and opinions.
Thanks for all the replies, it was solved here on Mikey’s Board!

Cheers

steve_64

If it starts acting up again replace the coil. They can get intermittent before they go completely out. Sitting for a period of time gives them more life. Something about them cracking internally and the oils leaking causing the issues. When hot the oil flows easier through the Crack causing it to short out.
Vehicle angle could make a difference depending on where the Crack is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom