Procyon?

Lint Basket

Name
Scott Mckay
I used procyon for a couple of years, years ago. I found Soapfree from masterblend to have a bit more punch. Not a lot of degrease action, I always had to add something on heavier soiled carpet. Then realized even lighter soiled carpet deserved to be degreased and stopped using the stuff all together (Procyon/Soapfree).

Name
Andy McFadden
I like procyon, but you need to carry something hard core for a back up for the times Procyon wont cut the mustard.

Although it has surprised me at times and cleaned some real filth holes extremely well. You just never know for sure how its going to work, sometimes amazing other times it's nothing.

Scott, I'm curious,, how do you feel stain resist compares to procyon, and master blend soap free?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I used it recently on a repeat house where the wife couldn't tolerate scents in the chems. Procyon didn't bother her. Cleaned up well, but wasn't real dirty.

I am not Johnny on (an)other board(s). I do not post on another cc board.

Last edited:

hogjowl

Idiot™
I used it for years. Never hurt my brass. (Balls or quick connects)

Like the rest above, it worked great and poorly. Never knew which it was going to be.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
We sell a TON of it literally a ton of product every month. The guys that use it love and have no desire to change and I don't even try to change them. Nearly all of the procyon users are very loyal to the product

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
It is a good product, you can use as a rinsing detergent or as a pr-spray.

I use as a detergent rinse and pre spray with RedLine (or whatever traffic lane cleaner you like) when needed. Works well for me. And water rinse in my opinion does not work as well as a mild detergent rinse.
I like the fact that it has a lot of certifications (helps in marketing). Soap Free works good too, no certification and has much more chemical odor.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamIam
Name
Shawn Forsythe
I'ts loaded or mostly STPP which is very corrosive to brass.

Not mostly, more like 100% in their base formulation.

The product is logically compared to flour as part of a loaf of bread.
Much in the same fashion that most powdered emulsifiers in this industry are composed with a large percentage of STPP. Those other formulations simply contain a variety of other compounds to increase performance (i.e. surfactants, other builders, co-solvents, corrosion inhibitors :winky:, etc).

Most users of Procyon find they have to add a mish-mash of other additives to achieve satisfactory cleaning. even the use of a good prespray is far better than can be achieved with STPP alone. Really the genius of Procyon is in the marketing.

Why do some cleaners like it? For the same reason Zerorez appeals to Mrs. Pifffelton.

Lint Basket

Name
Scott Mckay
I like procyon, but you need to carry something hard core for a back up for the times Procyon wont cut the mustard.

Although it has surprised me at times and cleaned some real filth holes extremely well. You just never know for sure how its going to work, sometimes amazing other times it's nothing.

Scott, I'm curious,, how do you feel stain resist compares to procyon, and master blend soap free?

Andy, I don't use stain resist powder on a daily basis. It is what I use on wool or high end clients whose carpet is not dirty. I have ran out of powermax a time or two and it has gotten me thru the day or so. It seems to rinse real nice (I only rinse with water) and it can clean better then Procyon.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Not mostly, more like 100% in their base formulation.

The product is logically compared to flour as part of a loaf of bread.
Much in the same fashion that most powdered emulsifiers in this industry are composed with a large percentage of STPP. Those other formulations simply contain a variety of other compounds to increase performance (i.e. surfactants, other builders, co-solvents, corrosion inhibitors :winky:, etc).

Most users of Procyon find they have to add a mish-mash of other additives to achieve satisfactory cleaning. even the use of a good prespray is far better than can be achieved with STPP alone. Really the genius of Procyon is in the marketing.
Why do some cleaners like it? For the same reason Zerorez appeals to Mrs. Pifffelton.

Regardless of Mr. Forsythe fumbling attempts at humor. Ignore.
I like it because it cleans carpets that are not trashed, pretty well . The clients like it a lot too.
Will it clean as well as say, Dry Slurry (or any other more "rounded" cleaner, meaning solvents, builders etc.)? no. So, like always, it depends on what kind of clients you have and how trashed their carpets are.
Does not need much addition of anything. Pretty much if combined with a good traffic lane cleaner it will most likely clean just as good Mr. F.'s products. If you're looking for a one pass clean most carpets (very trashed included yet one pass) you'll need a heavier duty cleaner.

Don't have no Mrs Piffelton as a client. And I ain't much of a Mr. Piffelton myself, either. Just somebody that cleans with it every day.

Last edited:

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
At one time years ago, I used it both for prespray, and as a rinse agent. It has always worked well for me, and was very cost-effective before whats-his-name doubled the price and added distributors through out the country.

I still use it as my main rinse agent, with Flex as my prespray, Grease Ersaser, S&G, .......

hogjowl

Idiot™
My experience with the product was that it was amazing on "normal" tracked it dirt. I can't count the times I've presprayed it on a heavily soiled traffic lane, put my sprayer down, picked up my wand, turned back around to find the soil had disappeared.

However, I always had to keep a second product handy to get the grease up at the kitchen doorway.

Reactions: rwcarpet

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Thanks Wikipedia:

Food applications

STPP is a preservative for seafood, meats, poultry, and animal feeds.[SUP][5][/SUP] It is common in food production as E number E451. In foods, STPP is used as an emulsifier and to retain moisture. Many governments regulate the quantities allowed in foods, as it can substantially increase the sale weight of seafood in particular.

I guess if its safe to eat it should be safe for Mrs Piff's carpets. The part where it mentions government regulation sounds yummy!

Had a jug of it sitting on the shelf for the last year. Used yesterday for the first time, mixed up the hydroforce before going out. First job was a 6 year old light colored loop style, current home owner (1 year) has a big dog that runs around on the carpet, fairly soiled into the master bedroom. My expectations were low but pleasantly surprised with the results.

Last edited:

Scott Rampage

Name
Scott Rampage
Water rinse works better because if you use a detergent then you are leaving soap behind witch causes quicker resoiling.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Water rinse works better because if you use a detergent then you are leaving soap behind witch causes quicker resoiling.

If properly diluted it does not. And I have tested it in what I do in my business and my home for years.
Yet a detergent rinse picks up soil and pre-spary a lot better. Less call backs and stays cleaner longer.

Last edited:

Willy P

Name
Willy P

Hmmmmm - This was cleaned with NO prespray and 5 ounces of SS rinse to 15 gallons in a porty.350 psi (I took those pic's to tick off Lee - a spray and clear water dude.) Now envision the added ability of that cleaning punch WITH a good prespray and agitation and a good rinse solution. Now think about your recovery rate. How much detergent is left in the carpet? a very minr amount and if it;s a powder.... Red herring?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Hmmmmm - This was cleaned with NO prespray and 5 ounces of SS rinse to 15 gallons in a porty.350 psi (I took those pic's to tick off Lee Stockwell- a spray and clear water dude.) Now envision the added ability of that cleaning punch WITH a good prespray and agitation and a good rinse solution. Now think about your recovery rate. How much detergent is left in the carpet? a very minr amount and if it;s a powder.... Red herring?

Ooops - Forgot the pic

NO PRESPRAY JUST DETERGENT IN MY FRESH WATER

DSCF0046.jpg

DSCF0043.jpg

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I find when I pre spray and fresh water rinse or detergent rinse or acid rinse, my resoil at my own home 5 people living here with 2 dogs is about the same I have to clean 2 to 3 time a year.

Had a competitor getting .49 cents a foot doing fresh water rinse with rx20 claiming zero res, One of my customers tried him out paid more then double what I charged for the same area, and her sheriff husband walking he same path with his boots managed to resoil the carpet just as fast as when I clean it.

Needless to say I retained a customer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: Lint Basket
Name
Lee Stockwell
Sooo- How much dirt are you leaving behind by NOT using detergent in your rinse?

Granted the detergents in your "rinse" were better than your prespray from the pictures.

I started doing clear rinse after a Monsanto engineer told us their preferences.

Willy, after you finally get it clean how much chemical is left behind?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Granted the detergents in your "rinse" were better than your prespray from the pictures.

I started doing clear rinse after a Monsanto engineer told us their preferences.

The carpet had no prespray on it all. It was bone dry.

A realistic recovery rate of 75 - 85% depending on the fiber, a powdered product that comes of with vacuming - not much. But look at the difference in the carpet. Hard to deny that- again just water with detergent, 300 psi - BUT- when used in conjunction with an effective prespray the end result has to be improved soil removal. I like arguing with ya Lee (especially when I'm right) Reminds of the old red board days.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Maybe another question to ask is how much soils and other pollutants are left behind in the carpet because no cleaning agents were in the rinse water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom