Professional Carpet Protector Testing Implemented on Mikeys Board

Mikey P

Administrator
A recent conversation started by Jim Pemberton on MB got me thinking..

If cleaners could see scientific proof that Teflon or Scotchgard type fabric protectors really work, would they sell more of it?

So I contacted Interlink whom I figured had the means to do proper laboratory testing and who also manufacture one of the more popular products on MB. I also contacted Larry Cobb who definitely has the most poplar protector, to see what we could come up with..

Both agreed to participate and Larry agreed to the guidelines suggested by Interlink.

read more here

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
No Marty it is real testing in a controlled envirement, but I will say, I believe interlink set the parameters of the test so very surprised to see that Larry would agree to a test that he has no control over.

Most manufacturers would not put themselves in that situation without complete confidence of superiority in their product.

That is probably why none of the other manufactures of protector are in this lab testing. Sad really.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I think the test will show that protector is a real benefit for the consumer as well as a profit maker for the carpet cleaner. I feel sure Maxim will perform well. I think Larry's product will do also do well. As Mikey's article states the real test is to show that protector works and encourage more cleaners to offer this service.

Name
BradFenstermaker
How about possibly including if Berber and CGD is worth it or ethical to upsell protector too.

I know its a debate between each cleaners opinion. But getting down to REAL value to customer???

Thanks

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Most manufacturers would not put themselves in that situation without complete confidence of superiority in their product.

That's why, Larry kicks ass. Very nice place/people to do biz with.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
How about possibly including if Berber and CGD is worth it or ethical to upsell protector too.

Yes! Test some cgd, have people walk on it for a month, find out how much protector is still on the fibers. IMO, protector doesn't do much for cgd, I see it as a film over the fibers that after walking on gets scrapped off. I'd love to be scientifically proven incorrect!

As Mikey's article states the real test is to show that protector works and encourage more cleaners to offer this service.

I agree, just prove it works. I'll figure out which one to buy.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
The main objective of this testing is to prove the effectiveness of fluorochemical protection on carpet fibers to carpet cleaners . . .

This has good profit potential for carpet cleaners out in the field . . .

I was shocked to see that many cleaners only sold significant amounts on hard surfaces . . .

Professional Testing Lab is scheduled to do the dry soil testing since it is a more difficult test to run . . .

Water-repellency and oil-repellency can be shown at the Experience event in Florida . . .

There is an excellent article on fluorochemical protection and how it makes carpet fiber last longer in the IICRC Journal . . .

http://mikeysboard.com/forum/index....article-on-carpet-fibers.273189/#post-4285887

http://www.iicrc.org/TheJournal/

Larry

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
So who has the authority over the applied amounts of protector to each piece of carpet?

Just so we don't end up with carpets that were bathed in protector and act like a restaurant towel\napkin that doesn't absorb anything....

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Finding out if protector works to reduce resoiling compared to untreated carpet is easy, but takes time. Showing which protector beads water is also easy, but doesn't prove anything beyond the ability to bead water (or oil).

According to DuPont, the product that is most resistant to stain is the poorest at beading water, so the best product would be some compromise of stain resistance and beading, which makes the protocol for testing a little more difficult.

Rating the 'best' would be very tough.
Since almost everyone is using the same fluoropolymer only in different concentrations and using different carriers, you'd have to be able to quantify the before and after feel of the carpet. Otherwise I would guarantee my boat top sealer would win.

See why Tony never published?

Reactions: J Scott W
Back
Top Bottom