Protector on Upholstery

Have You REALLY tested your upholstery protector?

• Yes, after cleaning several different fabrics of varying soil level

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heck No, I KNOW it works cuz some smart guy told me it works

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
OK guys

After reading the thread about protector on Microfiber upholstery, I have to ask:

How many of you have ever tested your protector on fabric you've cleaned?

Not on new upholstery fabric...

Not on tissue....

Not on new furniture....

But on something you cleaned. Better yet, on a few different types of fabrics....that were dirty and that you had work to get clean.

If you have, post your results. If you haven't, 'fess up in the poll.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Jim i'm a bit anal about trying and testing things. i pick up discards and clean them but have only tested protectors on a few. i like the results from the water based cleaner better. one thing that i have found looking clean is not really clean. the old white towel test reveals some dirt which seems to impede protection. I've gotten better because of it. I still can't get micro clean where some dirt doesn't come off on the towel.

gene

Mikey P

Administrator
I was asked by a local high end furniture retailer to come buy and do a demo for them.

At the time they were referring us a bit to go out and seal furniture after the sale.

I applied some well formulated product and never heard from them again.. :shock:

either they saw how easy it was or it didn't work.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I took a bunch of furniture off the side of the street during our trash heavy pick-up days, ranging of all different fabric types from microfiber olefin and nylon, to pure nylon with piling, to cotton/synthetic blends. They were from college students and ranged from light to heavy soiling(alcohol, soda, food, grease, urine, and "protein stains".

I tested a solvent based protector(Maxim Fine Fabric), and a water based(Betco CFP)

I did two sets of tests, applying directly after they were cleaned, and then applying to the piece that was dry, or very close to it.

The water based protector didn't perform well on heavier spoiled pieces when it was applied directly after cleaning, but did significantly perform better on pieces that were dry/nearly dry.

The solvent based actually acted the same, but did perform better than the water based on all scenarios.

I found that the pieces that were blends actually accepted the protector better than the synthetic fabrics.

The pieces I picked up I restored and protected, and donated to a church that we cleaned for, they have "dorms" for rent as well as then deliver the furniture to needy families. The ones that were solvent protected I recommend they kept them, and I gave them a 50% discount to clean them in the future just so I could see how well they reacted. They placed a few of the water based protected ones in the dorms, and I got to clean those as well.

All in all Maxim won in my findings. I suspect the protectors performed poorly when the fabric was still damp because the fabric can only absorb so much. The ones where protector was applied directly after cleaning also soiled quicker as well. I suspect the protector left a sticky residue, I had to do some extra work the second time cleaning them. I'm going to assume the soiling was bonded to the sticky residue.

I cleaned with an internal jet tool @ 300 PSI. With Bridgepoint's fabric shampoo, boost-all, buff-all, and de-liminate. I love de-liminate and it works wonders and goes a long way. A great deodorizer, and a great little booster too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom