protector sales on polyester and olefin, ethical???

steve g

Name
steve garrett
do you guys still sell protector to your customers that have polyester or olefin carpets, if so how do you justify it, personally I think its unethical. however I am not that big of a protector fan anyways, because I feel that if its something that will actually stain the carpet like cool aid or animal issues, protector will not help you anyways

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
How ethical are olefin and polyester fibers in the first place? lol

I've heard the argument that, while you won't necessarily benefit from the stain-resistant properties of a fluorochemical application, you can still take advantage of the dry soil properties.

Protectors aren't 100%, stuff still gets past it. It does help, though. The problem comes in when it's peddled as stain-proof instead of stain-resistant.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Judging from you original statements, I can't help but draw the conclusion that you shouldn't try selling protectors to people with poly and olefin carpets.

So STFU and let me do so in peace.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi guys:

I'm with Wayne on this.

A fellow inspector said he was going to open a retail store, and call it "Nylon Only". It's sad to think that so many people are not forewarned about the weaknesses of the fibers available. They are only sold on color, and stain resistance.

But in regards to the question: I have seen no evidence that after-market protectors actually bond to Olefin. If there is, please post it. Evidence, not opinions please

Thx,
Dale

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Steve G.;

Fluorochemical protectors work very well on all fibers.

Olefin & polyester badly need an oil repellent.

Solvent-based protectors work well on both of them.

Did any of these fibers get tested @ MikeyFest ??

Larry Cobb

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
There's another "angle" to consider... Dry soils.

Some protectors provide soil release as well. (Some better than others, I hear.) Dry soils are actually more damaging to carpet fibers than a stain is, when you think about it. They degrade the fiber (saying, "fiber degradation" to your customers sounds cool and impressive too... 8) , like sandpaper does wood. And fiber degradation alters the way light reflects / refracts permanently, making it comparatively dull to the surrounding areas.

So, if a protector helps provide better soil release during vacuuming between cleanings, it is worthwhile.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Odin;

Not true at all.

A well-formulated solvent-based fluorochemical will match any topical application by the mills.

Larry

harryhides

Name
Tony
steve g said:
do you guys still sell protector to your customers that have polyester or olefin carpets, if so how do you justify it, personally I think its unethical. however I am not that big of a protector fan anyways, because I feel that if its something that will actually stain the carpet like cool aid or animal issues, protector will not help you anyways

Umm, Kool-Aid and animal issues should not be a problem on Poly or Olefin anyway as they are almost completely water repellent already. However, all fibers are often protected at the Mill for different reasons depending on the type of fiber being treated. At the mill the treatment is usually baked on which is why we can never replicate the mill treatment. However, we can "top up" the original protector with our own treatment.

Steve, why don't you "protect" half a room in your own office or home and then you can make your own decision based on real experience.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Larry Cobb said:
Steve G.;

Fluorochemical protectors work very well on all fibers.

Olefin & polyester badly need an oil repellent.

Solvent-based protectors work well on both of them.

Did any of these fibers get tested @ MikeyFest ??

Larry Cobb

larry keep in mind we know you are a supplier, most suppliers think you can live off protector sales. larry when I do spray protector I normally use your solvent protector mainly because its priced so that I can make some money and still offer a solvent based protector, which I feel is a better product than the water based stuff.

ok so some conclude you get a little oil resistance, others say its about dry soil resistance, but the real question is are these benefits worth what we charge the customer when we use them on poly's and olefins, I say no

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Steve;

I am comparing solvent Ultraseal to the factory topical applications.

If a customer vacuums his carpet on a regular basis and tries to get up spills before they dry on the carpet, then a protector is a good investment.

If not, then they would probably be better off putting that investment toward the next cleaning.

We also need to look at the big picture.

How about the customer that feels the carpet just won't stay clean long enough & decides to change to a hard surface floor ???

Maybe some of those would not change, if the carpet stayed clean longer.

Larry Cobb

rhyde

Name
rhyde
i put the protector in my rinse that way I'm cleaning, steam sanitizing and protecting in one shot ..... :roll:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You're doing the customer a disservice by deciding what they want. The product and application aren't unethical, but depending on what you tell the customer you could be.

Does it help?

I've done what Tony suggests on everything from microfiber upholstery fabric to commercial glue down carpet. Clean, protect part, put back in service, see what it looks like when cleaning is due.

It helps.

Quibble about whether the treatment is as good as mill applied only if you're telling your customer that.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
I always ask if they want a protector . I tell them the reason for the application. I also add that this will also aid in easier cleanup for your next cleaning. Very rarely they say know. Also to answer main topic of post. In a situation where they have dogs . Even when you walk in your home bare feet. These oleophilic materials have a better chance on lasting longer.

Chads

Supportive Member
One good thing about the protector is its like just a extra barrier between the fibers and foot traffic acting like a wax. Anything that can keep the carpet from getting scratched buy foot traffic keeping it shiny longer just like on car keeping it shiny longer. Still think protector is way overpriced just like sealer grout. They should be the cheapest things we buy.

Scott

The Great Oz said:
You're doing the customer a disservice by deciding what they want. The product and application aren't unethical, but depending on what you tell the customer you could be.

That's precisely the reason we sell warranties and not protectant in our company.

Scott

Spurling

Just got my ICS mg today..page 5 from Interlink about Maxim advanced..says, " A word about olefin and polyester carpets:" Olefin and polyester fibers are naturally stain resistant when it comes to dye stains but they will still need protection. That's because olefin and polyester love oily soils and absorb it quite easily. That's why these carpets can develop a yellow cast over time. Olefin and polyester are easily damaged by dry soils and scratch the fibers which create permanent appearance loss. Maxim advanced is designed to adhere to olefin and polyester and will provide extremely high levels of protection against oily and dry soils.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom