PSI wand open vs closed

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Just wondering ifsome of you have taken a pressure reading when trigger is off and on?.

My turbo hybrid reads 1200 before I pull the trigger and no more then 250 when it's going. Looks like it's loosing a bit too much pressure. This is with a water otter hooked up to a garden hose.

What kind of pressure differences do you see?.

Albert

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Albert;

On our TM's we only see about 50 PSI with the 14" wand (500 PSI @ wand).

The Turbo with over 2 GPM is higher @ about 100 PSI drop.

Larry

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Crap, the seals must be bad again. Thanks for the info Larry. Do you have experience with the otter?. I replaced the seals about 4 months back and I don't use it much.

Albert

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
May not be the seals. The otter works on back pressure. Put smaller jets in turbo. will give you less flow. But higher pressure.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Albert, I have a Water Otter as well. But I only get a correct pressure reading when I key the wand. It actually goes up. I don't know much about these things, but does it not depend on the type of unloader you have?

If it's a trapped-pressure type, the reading stays high. If you have a compensating flow type unloader (most common nowadays), the pressure will go way down when the wand is NOT keyed. With my Water Otter (Water Horse) the pressure goes down to less than 200 psi with the wand NOT keyed.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Albert, I have a Water Otter as well. But I only get a correct pressure reading when I key the wand. It actually goes up. I don't know much about these things, but does it not depend on the type of unloader you have?

If it's a trapped-pressure type, the reading stays high. If you have a compensating flow type unloader (most common nowadays), the pressure will go way down when the wand is NOT keyed. With my Water Otter (Water Horse) the pressure goes down to less than 200 psi with the wand NOT keyed.

Not sure what type of unloader I have, it's the one that came with it. Your's does the exact opposite of mine. Humm. I'll take the thing apart tomorrow, maybe there's an obstruction somewhere. My guess though is one of the springs of the plungers/ seals has broken.

thanks,
Albert

John Watson

Check out what Dave said before tearing your pump apart again. What size jets are you running in it?? I know when I use my pressure lin to fill my sprayer I can make the guage got to O with my inline valve 1/2 open while filling my jugs. But I am getting full flow "the diameter of my hose".

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Dave Yoakum said:
May not be the seals. The otter works on back pressure. Put smaller jets in turbo. will give you less flow. But higher pressure.

True, but that pump can handle some serious flow, 3.5 gpm, which is more gpm than some Truck Mounts.

I think you have a busted valve spring.

Mikey P

Administrator
Larry Cobb said:
Albert;

On our TM's we only see about 50 PSI with the 14" wand (500 PSI @ wand).

The Turbo with over 2 GPM is higher @ about 100 PSI drop.

Larry

What size jets Larry?

Sounds like 06 flow.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I got the stupid thing fixed. The seals have springs on them. 2 of the springs were busted. I was told these things wouldn't need a rebuild often. PSI drops only a couple hundred psi now on turbo.

Bill, can you post or pm a model # of your unloader?. Maybe mine is putting too much strain on the pump while idling. The spring on my unloader is not busted.

thanks,
Albert

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Albert Lazo said:
I got the stupid thing fixed. The seals have springs on them. 2 of the springs were busted. I was told these things wouldn't need a rebuild often. PSI drops only a couple hundred psi now on turbo.

Bill, can you post or pm a model # of your unloader?. Maybe mine is putting too much strain on the pump while idling. The spring on my unloader is not busted.

thanks,
Albert

Here is what mine uses:
520 Regulator / Unloader - 2000 PSI - w/knob
[462320K]

The are around $27 dollars. You can buy a rebuild kit as well for a little less.

I just did my springs after more than 1000 hours of use. I did read somewhere that some of those pumps had weaker springs and the replacement kits come with the stronger ones so you should be OK now. That is the pump I use everyday and I have found it to be a real workhorse.

erick herdt

your pressure goes down, while the other guy's goes up...

try switching the hoses around.

:mrgreen:

Just kidding around, of course.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom