pto has got to go.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
My van just went in to the shop again. This time a intake gasket $900 est for now. Two months ago was pto clutch. it seems about evry 3 to 4 months it costs 500 or more. I don't even do three jobs a day. My van has 44k on it and the machine almost 3000hrs and this thing is killing me.

I'm thinking of buying a used TM and let the van motor just drive the van. GM and prochem not a mix.

What would be a good used slide in to look for?

I love the heat and power of my pto but the gas and cost to keep the 5.7 chevy going is too much

Thanks

I need to go and vent another beer now and kill the pain.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I believe in having a "Plan B" no matter what kind of machine you use. We've saved some pretty important accounts by having good backup just minutes away.

A clean used slide in can be had for under $2000 and a clean used van with a new paint job for another $2000.

"Plan B" could pay for itself in one week, and likely will when you least expect it.

Thanks,
Lee

G

Louis Grab a Recoil XPS 500 psi machine with an external booster; throw on a propane heater; get all your work done on t/m; by the time you get it all fixed you will have the ultimate team porty/tm and pto t/m. I have abused my Recoil like crazy man; worry free!!

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
no work, but will start a janitorial account and work the phones to get some work. Single truck op. The van is always needing repair. I can work on a tm but the van is a little out of my leauge. The van does not run a lot compared to the amount in repairs.

Another cleaner In the area has a little slide in and he works twice as much as I do and he has spent may be a $1000 all year on his tm.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I've bought three ProChem Performer 405 units for just a few thousand each, and see similar deals every winter when the newbies are hitting the wall and going belly up.

Institutional users often discard very good machines for silly reasons as well.

Thanks,
Lee

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I'm not a real prochem fan but if it's good deal it's a good deal.

I have never been down for more than two days because I have a great mechanic.

As for the porty with propane. I live in calif, and propane is a pita to deal with here.

The van is a 02 and has a nice wrap on it but the pto is killing the motor fast. My next van will not be a gmc.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
The problem with the pto is you are away from the van and by time you know you have a problem the motor is gone. Does not have a shutdown to save you. I only have 44k of driving miles on the van, the van would have lasted forever if it would of had a slide in.

Greg Loe

I replaced a switch on my Savage unit to day. It was down for...... wait, it wasn't down. Switch went out and I hot wired it together and made the plug the switch for 1 job today. replaced switch in 3 minutes and finished the day. $2.99 for switch.

Chris A

Name
Chris
still doesn't sound lie a reason to switch, have you thought about all the maintenence a second engine is going to require? Clutches are clutches, 2000 hours is usually about all ya get.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
We used a aftermarket gasket that was better, but not the fel pro. I guess I can't complain because I got well over a 100 k out of my gasket. The clutch only lasted about 1300 hrs. I think what kills me is the labor on the van motor is always high and gm parts are not cheap.
I fix every thing myself on my tm but the van motor is a real pita to work on.

Thanks

Spurling

How about mounting a 20-30hp motor between the seats on a custom built frame and converting the direct drive to a slide-in-between ..

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I would have to add heat exchangers too.

Got the van back $936 later and then the map sensor broke, another $100 and no work for two days. It just died here. Coit has done 2 days of large front page ads with 30 to 40% off.
Our high end cleaner that has been in town for 35 years even did a front page post it note with a $50.00 off. I hope this month get better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom