PTO help!? What is this?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
View attachment 4282

The system is leaking what seems to be antifreeze. The blue arrow shows where there is hose clamps joining metal to hose. I pointed this out to my boy down in KC last week. He added a hose clamp and said it should be all set.

THIS is why I get frustrated. It's 3 hours to KC. I pointed this out to the mechanic and here I am back home and noticing there is a leak from above (red arrow).

Do you guys know what this could be? How hard to fix? Should I be this frustrated right now or am I over reacting?

A truckmount designed to be fixed by the owner really appeals to me.

Thanks guys.

The Clean Machine

Chris A

Name
Chris
Is that the heat exchanger? Maybe some old freeze damage finally rearing its head? Either way not something that should just happen

Chris A

Name
Chris
Looks like an easy spot to get er welded, but I'm not a welder

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Thats the HX if its leaking anti freeze.

Is it stainless?

Find ya a local welder guy, drain, fix, refill.

Dang dude.

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
What's the most probable thing?

That metal piece just cracked a little or there was a bigger freeze issue? If it did freeze, how would I know?

Everything is working great...am I overthinking it? I pretty much do that with everything.

The Clean Machine

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
If that hose carries antifreeze, how would it have frozen?

The Clean Machine

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I guess it could be as simple as that hose clamp on the top side is cutting through.

Where can I get these hoses locally or online? (Tractor supply?) They are Goodyear. Maybe I will just replace the hose.

Thanks for the help.

The Clean Machine

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Yup, could be the tube or could (hopefully) be just the hose leaking on the topside. Most likely the hose to tube connection up on top. clean up the tube as best you can, and see if you can see where the antifreeze is coming out (wiping with a paper towel sometimes helps to see where it's coming from.

Could be just tightening the topside hose clamp or adding a second one will stop the leak.

At worst it's just a tubing pass-thru that's leaking, probably not the HX.

Reactions: Russ T.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
My pto hose would do that. Take off top hose clamp, loosen the other clamp slide hose up. Cut off some of the hose. Get ready to replace your hose. wrap the hose with a rag to see If leaks from hose or from the hx.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I don't see the need for the connection. A larger sleeved hole and 1 piece of hose makes more sense to me. I hate all these little things that are supposed to help but really are more trouble than they are worth.

gene

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Russ, did you get it fixed?

Not yet. Thanks for checking in. My wife is out of town with my boys and I've been manning the phones and doing the cleaning (still pretty slow). It's a very slow leak so I've been waiting for a nice day to try to deal with it.

The Clean Machine

Reactions: dgardner

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Your talkin to yourself again buddy : )

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I told you...Mel and the boys are gone. I'm going nuts here, watching the Cyclones play UConn!

The Clean Machine

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
How far back ya tippin that bottle buddy : )

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
2 beers and I'm about to call it a night. ISU lost in a good game.

The Clean Machine

Name
Shawn Forsythe
That fitting is a thru-hull plate . Even a worst-case scenario is gonna be easy and relatively inexpensive. Your greatest cost is just the downtime. Be ecstatic its nothing serious.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
View attachment 4282

The system is leaking what seems to be antifreeze. The blue arrow shows where there is hose clamps joining metal to hose. I pointed this out to my boy down in KC last week. He added a hose clamp and said it should be all set.

THIS is why I get frustrated. It's 3 hours to KC. I pointed this out to the mechanic and here I am back home and noticing there is a leak from above (red arrow).

Do you guys know what this could be? How hard to fix? Should I be this frustrated right now or am I over reacting?

A truckmount designed to be fixed by the owner really appeals to me.

Thanks guys.

The Clean Machine

That looks like the supply and return antifreeze from the radiator to the heat exchanger .. no, it should never freeze .. Im thinking either slight corrosion pinhole .. (if you think its coming from where the arrow is pointing) .. did that elbow somehow get banged up on something to cause a slight kink producing a pinhole ??

A simple fix would be to unscrew those 2 screw bolts and remove the elbow and plate assembly and replace it with another elbow .. clamp each hose end to the end of each elbow .. take the elbow youve removed and see if its repairable or order another if you want ..

The reason for the elbow it to prevent the hose from kinking and rubbing on metal causing damage .. the plate from the plate and elbow combination screws down to keep the elbow from rattling .. once youve done it, youre gonna kick yourself for stressin .. its an easy fix ..

P.S. wait til coolant is cool .. depressurize the system by unscrewing the cap .. be prepared for an antifreeze spill .. the minute you pull off the hose, it'll probably want to gush out .. so quick pull off and quick reconnect to new elbow .. maybe youll wanna use a cork for each end .. itll give you time to slip hose over one end and tighten while the other end waits for a connection .. goggles and mouth cover would be good .. antifreeze tastes pretty sweet but it'll kill ya ..

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
BTW .. the plate and elbow do not look connected .. maybe you have a pin leak from the elbow rubbing back n forth on the plate .. look for abrasions like a saw mark from a hack saw ..

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
A wine cork works well to plug the hole when you pull it apart. Just taper the cork to fit the hole. I realize the reason they use the elbows but I always oversize the hole and sleeve it with a grommet or another hose. Most people over tighten hose clamps and they eventually leak. My fuel lines are currently one piece through the floor sleeved with a larger rubber hose. They will never leak. I like to keep any lines solid when I can. Just my preference.

Gene

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
The more I look at this set up, I see several unnecessary connections. I've added another hose clamp on the top side and will be watching it. I really appreciate the help.

The Clean Machine

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom