pto hrs.

bill luke

is there a formula to convert hrs. of van running while cleaning,say with a butler,to mileage on the van? i wonder how many hrs. are normal or alot for a butler truckmount,if this can be figured; obviously a well maintained vehicle and machine has to be considered. thanks

Matt King

I really don't think so. Mileage on a vehicle encompasses so many different things. Transmission wear,wheel bearing wear,front end,suspension,brakes etc.. None of which are in use while the vans sitting there a little over idle. On the new GM vans the computer counts the revolutions the crankshaft makes and determines when it's time to change your oil regardless of how many miles you drove. This is a nice feature for pto users. No doubt a pto of any industry adds wear to the motor but calculating and converting that wear into mileage isn't really practical. At least In my opinion.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
On the HM it was 30 miles per running hour

I really don't remember where I dug up that info but I do know it was confirmed by a few places.

I recommend having you van serviced every 1500 mile instead of the normal 3000.....oil is cheap break downs are not.

Name
Lee Stockwell
On a van-powered unit some of the extra wear is often understated.

The transmission does "rack up hours" in that the torque converter, input shaft and front pump still run and circulate hot fluid even when running in park or neutral. These hours are often more grueling than cruising miles due to the buildup of heat and lack of ventilation.

Likewise the power steering pump, fuel pump, alternator etc..etc...

35 mph is a more realistic approximation.

Thanks,
Lee

Matt King

Lee's right there. I was thinking clutch packs and gears in my head. The TC is still spinning and pumping fluid. I suppose a small cooler w/an electric fan might help but what a hassle...

When I talked to Vladamir at Aero Tech my working speed is 1400 rpm on my 777 Venture Vortex. He said I should figure every hour as forty miles on my transmission and motor.

He said the most important thing to consider was that the fan was working on my transmission cooler. They're not to cheep to replace.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
is there a formula to convert hrs. of van running while cleaning,say with a butler,to mileage on the van? i wonder how many hrs. are normal or a lot for a butler truckmount,if this can be figured; obviously a well maintained vehicle and machine has to be considered. thanks

Call Butler and give them the year and model number. These figures change over the years.

I would guess the Butler would be similar to the HydraMaster and Cleanco PTO units in their longevity; 100,000 miles and 10,000 hours is not the end of their useful life.

Farenheit251

I had 2 pto's. 98 chevy w/ Butler and 99 CHevy w/ white magic pro 1200. Both 350 v8 engines and both engines went bad last year with over 200,000 miles and lots of machine hours. I've got a lot of faith in the longevity of todays engines. I did have a friend who bought a half ton chevy with a different engine and it was a total lemon. Thats the one thing that really scares me about pto's. Brian E

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom