pto/ slide in questions

Islandguy

Name
bob keenan
I ask this sincerely, why is it a waste of money? I saw Mark's videos and it appeared to be doing a great job. Is it possible to get similar results with a regular wand? I have to say, the price tag on the zipper is not budget friendly.
Not user friendly and slow . If you want something other than a good wand than the rotovac is the way to go.

• Dislike
Reactions: hogjowl

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
The 570 cost me 40k last year with large recovery tank. It heats up to 270. I run mine on medium heat (220) during the winter and on low heat (195) from spring til fall.
270?!?!??!! WOW!!! I doubt I'll ever need that much heat, but that's amazing heat!!

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
I did a CDS for 25 years and slide ins for about 15. I like a slide in better. If you’re mechanically inclined, you can transfer either machine when the time comes. If you’re not, I would buy a CDS.
Thank you so much for sharing. I work on my car all the time so it looks like it'll be a slide in. Plus, this while dealership giving push back on service under warranty is a major turn off.

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
You'll be waiting for several months or longer if you upgrade to a V-8 in a GMC
You are 100% correct. In fact, if I can get it in months, I'd consider myself lucky. There is a V6 available, and even those are hard to find. I'm just thinking if I'm carrying water, plus it's a slide-in, and then add all the hoses and accessories... Just don't want to stress the v6

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Rotovac is extremely slow. Especially on commercial carpet. I have the 360i and 360xl. I'd rather use the Zipper. Rotovac with brush head is great for trashed residential.
So what I'm kind of thinking is the best of both worlds is a Rotovac for residential and Zipper for commercial? That would be quite expensive though

hogjowl

Idiot™
Is that because it's slow? Or is there more to it?
Rotovac is slow
Zipper is faster than wanding in commercial
Rotovac is more suited for trashed residential
You’ll eventually end up with a good wand, a Rotovac and a Zipper plus a VLM machine for commercial.
You’ll buy the wand first, of course. You’ll probably buy a vlm tool next (because Mikey has to make money) but that’ll be a mistake unless you’re targeting commercial. Just remember, all of us cleaned with a wand alone for years. What we evolved into depended on what our target market was … residential or commercial.
But like I said, you’ll end up with all the tools if your focus is on quality work and high end pricing. If you’re just going to be another low price, high volume cleaner, then just stick with a good wand.

FredC

Village Idiot
images.jpg

• Haha

hogjowl

Idiot™
If I’m going to add a step to the cleaning process, it’ll be one that has enhanced rinsing capabilities as well as scrubbing ability. And, it won’t corn row cut pile carpets like a CRB does.
Rotovac.

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Ok, after further research, a couple of questions:

1.) I'm looking at the spec sheet for the 570 and I don't see a pump clutch listed on here. I thought it had one?

2.) Getting a v8 on the 3500 cargo van is next to impossible. How much strain would it be for a V6? Planning on carrying 120 gallon water, hoses, reels, wand, and obviously the slide-in. Will it be asking too much of a v6?

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

1.) I'm looking at the spec sheet for the 570 and I don't see a pump clutch listed on here. I thought it had one?

2.) Getting a v8 on the 3500 cargo van is next to impossible. How much strain would it be for a V6? Planning on carrying 120 gallon water, hoses, reels, wand, and obviously the slide-in. Will it be asking too much of a v6?
Drop the water tank and you'll be fine. I know the oldies in this conversation will harass me for saying that, but you'll realize that you'll hook up to the customer's water on nearly every job and very few will require you to provide your own water, UNLESS you live in a severely cold area with dangerous freezing temps. Only then will you need to carry water on almost every job. And on big jobs, a 100gallon water tank isn't enough to do the whole job anyway.

Less weight, longer life in the van's transmission. I have 2 setups. One has a water tank and the other does not. I haven't needed to bring my own water on the second setup yet

Pros on not carrying a big water tank:
Less strain on the van's drivetrain and brakes
More space in the van for other things and space to be able to work on your machine

Cons:
For severely cold temps
A tank would be needed for the unprepared customer who is too cheap to turn on their water at their empty rental that doesn't pay $squat$ in between tenants (you don't want those kind of customers anyway)

Last edited:
Reactions: alexcarpets

hogjowl

Idiot™
Drop the water tank and you'll be fine. I know the oldies in this conversation will harass me for saying that, but you'll realize that you'll hook up to the customer's water on nearly every job and very few will require you to provide your own water, UNLESS you live in a severely cold area with dangerous freezing temps. Only then will you need to carry water on almost every job. And on big jobs, a 100gallon water tank isn't enough to do the whole job anyway.

Less weight, longer life in the van's transmission. I have 2 setups. One has a water tank and the other does not. I haven't needed to bring my own water on the second setup yet

More space in the van for other things and space to be able to work on your machine

Cons:
For severely cold temps
A tank would be needed for the unprepared customer who is too cheap to turn on their water at their empty rental that doesn't pay $squat$ in between tenants (you don't want those kind of customers anyway)
I don’t understand how it is that you give so much bad advice on this bulletin board.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: BIG WOOD and FredC

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
If you’re questioning buying a PTO unit, then it’s obvious to me that you can’t afford one. So, don’t let your friend talk you into bankruptcy.
Yes..as Marty knows all too well you can pour perfume on a pig till the cows come home and you'll still has a pig.....!

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
You are 100% correct. In fact, if I can get it in months, I'd consider myself lucky. There is a V6 available, and even those are hard to find. I'm just thinking if I'm carrying water, plus it's a slide-in, and then add all the hoses and accessories... Just don't want to stress the v6
I got a 19 Transit 250 with the 3.7 V6 and it has more power than my E250 with the 4.6 V8

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox

I have the 100+ gallon water tank and same size recovery tank and my van does fine.
Yes, it has a pump clutch

alexcarpets

Name
Alex

Cons:
For severely cold temps
A tank would be needed for the unprepared customer who is too cheap to turn on their water at their empty rental that doesn't pay $squat$ in between tenants (you don't want those kind of customers anywa

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom