PTO vs slide in fuel comparison

Mikey P

Administrator
I know I guy up in Minneapolis who is running I drew master CDS units . They average 3.10 gallons per hour while cleaning. They want to switch over to the Titan 575 which they believe will get them one and a 1/2 gallons per hour while cleaning.
They are concerned about running a slide in during their harsh winters but currently run their ptos with the side doors open anyways. What are your thoughts?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They have options. Cut porkholes for hoses. Roll drivers & passengers windows down enough to get fresh air. They can also do a roof vent if needed.

I think running won't be the issue. It will be the time between each job. Can you keep the van sufficiently warm for tools and brass while traveling?

Name
Brad Gouveia
Not every day is harsh just a few here and there... I was up there about 2-3 hours away from Mark years ago and did this most the time they should be able to mostly close the door with a crack for the hoses, on the very harsh days they may have to run the van to keep the stuff from freezing in the back, not sure how much heat a slide in puts off, I have only worked with CDS.

Just my thoughts.

When I was working in cold weather I was more worried about pressure hose freezing up when setting up and tearing down than anything else, that and tools can not be left by the door.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I won't work when the temp gets 10 degrees. And no wind.

But I had a slide in for years and to me it is more freeze prone than a PTO.
I had a couple HX freeze that were right inside the double doors.
At least the PTO heat exchangers will keep the truck toasty for awhile after it's shut off.
No so much any slide in. Simpler is better when it comes to finicky electronic gizmos on slide ins.
The gas isn't that much of a problem cost wise.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I know I guy up in Minneapolis who is running I drew master CDS units . They average 3.10 gallons per hour while cleaning. They want to switch over to the Titan 575 which they believe will get them one and a 1/2 gallons per hour while cleaning.
They are concerned about running a slide in during their harsh winters but currently run their ptos with the side doors open anyways. What are your thoughts?
3.1 GPh seems excessive. Makes me wonder what kind of engine they have in their vans. My little astrovan with the cds is nowhere that. My last full size Chevy with a 350 and cds was between 1.5-2. they should check again. Fill the tank up, run the unit for an hour, fill again. Have to make sure you fill up exactly to the max. Going with a slide in, they will have to make sure the exhaust is routed outside the van and directed away. Most slide ins will stay hot enough after being shut off to prevent freezing. Installing a rear heater in either unit would be a good idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Our observed fuel use is between 1.5 and 1.8 GPH running 6 liter engines. (The Titan is rated at 1.5 GPH)

Your Minnesota friend is reporting fuel use that's double the typical CDS burn rate, so I'd be interested in knowing what's causing this. He won't save any money if he can't pinpoint where the fuel "leakage" is happening.

Running a CDS with the door open? With a side door step porkhole he can close the door, keep the van warm and have a quiet unit... And keep the truck locked while running.

steve_64

Running a 56 blower I'm close to the 3 gallon an hour range.

Fuel consumption goes up with more lock down.

Reactions: Jimmy L

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Just crack the windows open to supply air to the kubota on the Titan. Run the exhaust through the floor as normal. Hope in the door like the cds setup, and a live solution hose reel. I doubt it’d freeze

I think there’s a problem with the fuel consumption also. 3.1gpm is rediculous.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I have my machine installed so I can close the left side door in the winter and leave the other one open. In the winter I leave the engine running all the time and keep the back doors closed. The inside of the van stays plenty warm.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
The Butlers are getting 1.5 - 2 gallons per hour running the Motors and unit at wide open 1750 rpm.

Their units I think spin the Motors faster.

Don't think they will switch direct drive brands at this time because they switch out old units to newer vans in house... But Hagopian has in house mechanics and good sell off program after 6 years.

He should maybe talk to them

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Yeah those older CDS units ran at 2500 rpms.

Matt living in Georgia is the not the same as living in Minnesota

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom