putting together some tools

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Ok I have Steve's Dvd on the way and I'm going to put together a tool kit and learn this part of the trade. I'm not rich so I don't want to buy anything that's not needed. I've put together a list of things to get can you please tell me if you notice anything glaring that is missing from my list or anything that is on the list but not really needed. I don't need every tool under the sun just starting out (I can add stuff later) but I want to have everything I need to confidently offer the most basic and common repairs.

I'm also wondering if you guys have any preference on the brands or styles of these tools.

I already have a knee kicker, stair tool, carpet awl, rubber mallet, claw hammer.

I need to buy

1. cushion back cutter (any specific one best?)

2. loop pile cutter (any specific one best?)

3. solid and spiked seam roller

4. seam iron and seam tape (If I buy a kool glide do I need a seam iron also? If I need the seam iron also any specific one that is best? or certain features to look for?)

5. glue gun and glue sticks( Is there any reason to buy interlinks for $95 over everyone elses for $20-$30? or anything specific I should look for in a glue gun, my wife says the cadillac glue gun at the craft store is about $25)

6. Tack strip cutter

7. wall trimmer (any specific one best?)

8.syringe

9. seam weight ( do I really have to pay $80 for this? or is there a better way?)

10. seam applicator bottle

11. seam squezzer ( do the $45 spring loaded things work or do I need to spend the $235 on the power one?)

12. cookie cutter ( Or maybe I don't need this if I learn to do proper patches?)

Thanks for your input.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Joey Johnston said:
I already have a knee kicker, stair tool,
carpet awl - get 2 - 1 straight and one bent,imo
rubber mallet, claw hammer.

I need to buy

1. cushion back cutter (any specific one best?)
Yes,
2. loop pile cutter (any specific one best?)
Yes,
3. solid and spiked seam roller
Yes,
4. seam iron and seam tape (If I buy a kool glide do I need a seam iron also? No

5. glue gun and glue sticks( Is there any reason to buy interlinks for $95 over everyone elses for $20-$30? or anything specific I should look for in a glue gun, my wife says the cadillac glue gun at the craft store is about $25) Get the good ones from Steve

6. Tack strip cutter Maybe

7. wall trimmer (any specific one best?)
Yes,
8.syringe Yes - real cheap

9. seam weight ( do I really have to pay $80 for this? or is there a better way?)
Yes,
10. seam applicator bottle Yes,

11. seam squezzer ( do I need to spend the $235 on the power one?)
Yes,

12. cookie cutter ( Or maybe I don't need this if I learn to do proper patches?) No

Thanks for your input.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
You could also use aviation snips in place of tackless cutters . I prefer wiss brand at depot or lowes. A solid seam or a paddle roller is the prefered method of CRI. guidelines. You can use a spike roller with he kool glide do to no heat. I like the orcon glue gun same price with a couple of tips plus it is 100 watts of power. Yes you should have both types. It is easy to melt off regular seam tape from the back , you cant do this with the Kool Glide. You can make a weight out ouf wood 2 x 10 x 16 , Drill a couple holes in the front apply rope through the holes . That will be your handle. add your tool tray for extra weight.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I bought my glue gun from the local carpet tool store for around $25. I also got some different tips too. It is a 100 watt one.
You should get some duck bill scissors too.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
What about a tool box to carry everything in ??

Would the tray from the Crain Rolling tool box be suitable as a weight ?

05-024.jpg

Ooroo :roll:

harryhides

Name
Tony
This tool box by Orcon has wheels/handle is solid and the tray is made to be a seaming weight - works for me.

Tool Box with Wheels and Seaming Tray
Catalog No. 13270

196.jpg

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Thanks for the tips. I do already have duckbill's and carpet shears. My kool glide and tape should be here monday. Steve's dvd should also be here around monday or so. It won't be long before I'm in the carpet repair business. :D

You guys are causing me to notice every little thing in every house that I clean. I cleaned a rental today and I'm telling you every seam and carpet to tile transition had fraying carpet. I can't wait to get started on this.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Good for you Joey speak up . Make sure you can handle the repair and you'll be alright. Listen to me Joey other wise I get Joey bag o donut after you hea me .

Stevea

Joey,

Just a suggestion, Practice on stuff that does not matter. Try to decide what each piece is and how it is put together. Get a bunch of samples of carpet and see what you can and cannot do. John had shown this in many areas and it is invaluable. Harry shows a lot of different types of carpet and this should give us all ideas.

Practice, practice and more practice until it is boring to you and then you will be making some great repairs without a lot of worry and problems because you will know what to expect.

Seams are great to repair; frayed edges along transitions are another item that is always a great repair because there are usually so many of them and they are a fairly simply straight forward repair to do. Bonded inserts are a staple in this business and pulled rows in Berber.

Looking forward to seeing a lot of your work, be sure you take photos and share them. Also, use them to market your business.

SA

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
I like the Crane toolbox better. I also just like Joey said look for whatever I can see. Light area rugs especially wool or orientals. They may need sealing or protector. Repairs . Same as for upholstery cleaning . I hand out quite a few cards to my clients. I have a detailed list of my services on the back of my card.

Darian Brown

If you plan on repairing seems your going to need a regular seeming iron. The kool glide is awesome but you will not be able to get regular seam tape off with it.

Stevea

Darian,

Good point and one often overlooked. Fortunately there are some cheap used ones out there.

I know a lot of people will suggest a steam iron but if you use this on tufted carpet you stand a very good chance of causing de-lamination.

Also, remember to turn down the heat on it, or the backing of tufted carpet with synthetic backing can get distorted.

Thanks Darian for bringing up that point.

SA

Back
Top Bottom