Q about Ammoniated uph pre spray

Mikey P

Administrator
Clean ed heavily sOILed thin fabric wing back today. I doubt there was any natural fiber involved.

Use some Encap/shampoo and water rinse first then went over the still greasy looking areas with some Hel Gel (de'limo based gel) and a horse hair and rinse and still looked dingy.

I had some straight ammonia sitting near by so I misted and rubbed with a cotton towel and low and behold..POW!

Towel turned seriously brown, towel after towel after towel after towel...

I nearly passed out from the fumes but damn did that work good.
Followed up with a heavy rinse to neutralize and de-stench.

I've never used the Ammoniated upholstery presprays before and am wondering what percentage the ammonia is and what else is in the mix?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Mikey;

We use ammonia in our Upholstery Prespray

Kleen-Rite & Murray Cramer pioneered the use of ammonia for upholstery, to take advantage of the self-neutralizing pH.

Murray wouldn't have liked your statement:
I doubt there was any natural fiber involved.
It, along with some other synergistic ingredients, does add some cleaning "punch" to the formulation.

Larry

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Esteam's ********* uph ps is loaded with ammonia, cleans out the lungs too. Works great with a white towel to see if there is any dirt left.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Murray Cremer was my first "official" industry teacher. I remember the slogan for his school back then: "What a difference a day makes!" (1981)

That was so true. Have used a lot of ammonia since then. I remember buying a case of their super concentrated stuff, opening a jug to smell what it was,....and nearly dying!!!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I've been for and against ammoniated presprays over the years, and I'm "for" them now.

A few of the reasons I'm in favor of them today:

1. You get a good shot of alkalinity that self neutralizes nearly as quickly as you can extract it. A traffic lane cleaner may have the same pH, but its so highly buffered that if you don't get it rinsed and neutralized really fast, you're asking for trouble some day. And traffic lane cleaners tend to penetrate rapidly through the fabric.

2. It cuts hair and body oil quickly. WAY back in ancient history,when we had a Servicemaster franchise, we had a product called "Hair Oil Spotter". It was, of course, ammoniated, and back in those days of shampoo only cleaning, it was the best way to cut body oil, since we didn't have heat from a HWE machine,glycol ether, or d-limonene.

I hated the smell, and did for many years. But today I'd argue that the smell of ammonia is less offensive (to you and your customer) than the smell of d-limonene and glycol ether, and it doesn't linger nearly as long.

3. From a color safety perspective, the ammoniated products may pull color, but the d-limonene products cause rapid penetration to the back of the fabric, and with high heat seem to cause just as many color bleeding issues. Both need tested and used with care.

After a long time in the "orangey - foamy" world of presprays, I'm back to ammoniated prespray for synthetics and durable natural fibers.

Note to Dan Mabesone: Precautions other than fumes? Dyefastness. Back in the days of "either ammoniated prespray or dry clean", we dry cleaned a lot more (before most MB members were born...)

I use a non ammoniated, neutral preconditioner on natural fiber fabrics and avoid ammonia anywhere I suspect there will be dyefastness issues. I'm currently experimenting with acidic preconditioners to eliminate the need of an acid rinse to stabilize dyes, but that's another topic.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Its not the size of my head, its how long I've been around.

"You Know You're Older than Dirt If:"

...You remember picking up area rugs off of hardwood floor, and the people were poor..

...You remember a world before hot water extraction...

...You remember when Racine Industries (Host) was friends with the CRI...

...You knew the fathers of industry pioneers...some of whom themselves are retiring..

...You remember when traffic lane cleaner was invented...

I'd go on Danny, but this is getting to be depressing.

I'm not that smart, I just remember a lot and have had the time to try stuff out.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Like Lee & Bob I was a Murray Cremer disciple, I spent a couple of decades using Kleenrites ammoniated prespray. I would preheat it in a bucket and get it as hot as I could, using a drop in heater.

When heated it could produce amazing results, I loved the stuff!

Unfortunately if used on all fabric's it could also cause you some problems (browning, bleeding, color run, indicator dye) that other non ammoniated products would not.

I switched products when I quit being the upholstery cleaner, a trade off of results for safer cleaning.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
One benefit that Jim missed is the ability of ammonia to drive away pests. When you're cleaning 50 office chairs nothing works better to remove the janitorial staff from your back.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
LOL at Bryan.

Confession time: Back in the late 70's, one of our guys in our cleaning division didn't put tabs under furniture after cleaning, and we had dark mahogany stains on the carpet to deal with.

The man who was my father's partner at the time examined the carpet, and found that only the very tips of the yarns were stained. He knew that the customer wouldn't accept a few snips off the top with scissors, so he set up a portable extractor, poured our ammoniated prespray in a little pan under the unit, and turned it on as he "cleaned" the spots (vacuumed only of course).

The customer fled the room, and before she could returned, he conducted the needed "carpet surgery" and the customer was pleased with the outcome.

Lee wasn't crazy about what his partner did, but it was a "fait accompli" by then.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I LOVE Steam Way's Upholstery Pre-Spray. If I can get people to try it they never go back but getting people to try it after smelling it is the hard part. I'll send you a gallon Mikey.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland

I have been using the Steam Way UPS for many years. One day I was using a general cleaner for a chair, but it wasn't cleaning the heavy soiled areas. I got out the UPS and it cleaned right up.

I usually use a low pH citrus prespray conditioner (Formula O) over all the upholstery, but use the UPS for the tough areas that need more attention. Using it this way is not as smelly and is more econonmical too.

-JB-

Name
JB
ever tried this on heavey hair/body oils on upholstery?

Arm & Hammer baking soda.... like magic, n no stank!
baking-soda.jpg

Name
Lee Stockwell
Yep, I remember. It was their Super-X that I had to stick my big nose into the jug. I cried, gasped, and rolled on the ground slightly stupified while Theresa laughed hysterically.

But I didn't spill it....that stuff was expensive.

Thanks,
Lee

Mikey P

Administrator

toss in a set of Flash cuffs too.

The Hanks must be afraid of failing the MBSOA program :idea:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea I was the only one that handled the dark blue label, I would keep a jugs of the green label and refill it.

I was less worried about their safety, more about waste. That super slim was expensive but better than shipping water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom