Q for Steve Toburen and the rest of you god fearing cleaners

Mikey P

Administrator
Do you without a doubt in your heart believe that the brand of carpet protector your company applies works as claimed by the manufacture?

No ifs ands or buts here Thumpers...

Would you sell it to your mothers?

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I am a Bridgepoint Maxim user and I would absolutely sell it to my mother (at a discount of course).

I reapply it to our highly traveled LR every time I clean it. This LR gets a good dose of popsicle drippings, drink spills, red dye, animal accidents and every other kind of spill and have never had a stain that wouldn't easily come out. Most spots come right out with prespray and cleaning. I did have to use some Red relief on the popsicle though.

Cleaning is sooooo much easier when the carpet has been protected.

Which reminds me, I need to kick up my sales in 2010.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
I have used Scotchgard for 32 yrs. The carpet that I have cleaned and protected over the years has retained its appearance better than the carpet that I just clean. I don't charge my Mother. :wink:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Jim Williams said:
I am a Bridgepoint Maxim user and I would absolutely sell it to my mother (at a discount of course).

I reapply it to our highly traveled LR every time I clean it. This LR gets a good dose of popsicle drippings, drink spills, red dye, animal accidents and every other kind of spill and have never had a stain that wouldn't easily come out. Most spots come right out with prespray and cleaning. I did have to use some Red relief on the popsicle though.

Cleaning is sooooo much easier when the carpet has been protected.

Which reminds me, I need to kick up my sales in 2010.

totally agree..........

Name
Lee Stockwell
Being an "unbeliever" is one of the biggest barriers to selling any product.

For carpet protector this must be overcome by proving it to yourself, and then finding a way to duplicate this proof to your customer.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Yes but as Lee states you must believe in the product. I think all of the major brands work when applied as directed on a carpet that has been thoroughly cleaned.

Name
Lee Stockwell
No sane cleaner feels comfortable spraying five gallons of product onto 1000 sf of freshly cleaned carpet.

Thus corners get cut, and the rest is history.

Jeff

Name
Jeff Sybert
I agree.

I have a 5 day a week commercial account that I've done the carpets for the past 8 years and always apply Scotchgard. Lots of traffic and it looks great. The other night mopping the hard surfaces I spilled a little mop water on the carpet, it beaded up perfectly. Threw a towel on it a minute later and no wet spot.

Mud tracked in is easily vacuumed up with no spot left behind. I know it works, but I don't push it on everyone. I do make it an option though and usually 90% the customer says; " While we're cleaning it anyway go ahead and protect it".

It works and no... I don't charge my mother either.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
I believe ... IF you "do it right". Most don't. And then there is the sizable percentage of industry pond scum that charge for Scotchgard and apply "Aquagard". I am especially intrigued by the "cleaners" (I use the term loosely) who mix the Scotchgard in with their cleaning solution. May their wands clog up forever.

Steve "Island Boy" Toburen
http://www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS Mom never paid. (I've still got her listed in Accounts Receivables.)

BTW, "doing it right" is why we advocate charging more for the product and the service. Properly applied, you are spending approximately .04 per foot. So applying Toburen's "Robin Hood Law of Up-selling" which states that "I can make better use of their disposable income than my customer can" means that I should charge at least .20 per foot. Of course, at this price I am also going to include a 12 month "Spot and Spill Warranty" at no extra charge which is going to turn them into a huge Cheerleader. Download how to set up the Protector Warranty here: http://www.strategiesforsuccess.com/226 ... home-front

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Jeff said:
I agree.

I have a 5 day a week commercial account that I've done the carpets for the past 8 years and always apply Scotchgard. Lots of traffic and it looks great. The other night mopping the hard surfaces I spilled a little mop water on the carpet, it beaded up perfectly. Threw a towel on it a minute later and no wet spot.

Mud tracked in is easily vacuumed up with no spot left behind. I know it works, but I don't push it on everyone. I do make it an option though and usually 90% the customer says; " While we're cleaning it anyway go ahead and protect it".

I'd be more interested in your findings if you left a fair sized section in the most traveled areas unprotected .
Like leaving a couple 5x 5 ft sections of well traveled corridor or lobby unprotected
Then see of you can tell any difference a month or two latter.

I've said this before, the greatest advantage of protectant is to our profits
It's probably THE most over sold product we have..especially on olefin carpet

It's not as bad though as scaring folks with HUGE magnified pics of creepy looking arachnids in an effort to part Mrs Phiff with her dollars to rid her of the EEEEVVVVIIILLLL menace of dustmites ....that she's never had an allergy to.....

at least protectants do have some "minimal" benefits for a short while.
More so on fabric than carpet though

..L.T.A.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
No. It not worth it. I have NEVER applied protector to any wall to wall carpet and I don't reccomend it to my customers. Many of them go 2 to 3 years between cleanings.

I do reccomend it on some upholstery.

Don't even reply to this until you go and ask your local Shaw and Mohawk reps what how much of their residential carpet warranty is VOID with the application of any kind of protector. You will be very surprised.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Most protectors work. Period.

Most carpet cleaners who supposedly apply them do not. Period.

I've tested most of the products that are out there (and a few that aren't around anymore) on every type of carpet, rug, and upholstery fabric. Not on new carpet and fabric, but on old, abused, beat up stuff.

The biggest variable is the carpet cleaner, not the product.

I due respect Bill: If anyone is made aware of specific warranty requirements when it comes to cleaning product as well as protector use, it makes sense to work within those guidelines.

It shows that you're informed and doing your best to work within the requirements that have been laid out by the manufacturer. Such diligence will impress your client and build a closer relationship with that client, who is the ultimate arbiter of the quality of your work.

My associates at the various carpet manufacturers claims departments confess that they can't afford to police and enforce most cleaning agent related care requirements. There biggest problems are with carpet that is "maintained" by large janitorial contractors or in house cleaning staff.

Most of you are cleaning relatively small commericial jobs and (in their perspective) microscopically small residential carpet installations that aren't worth the money to test and inspect.

So clean carpet with good products that are designed for that purpose and won't damage fibers or dyes. And apply protector when it makes sense for all parties involved, and do it right.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
meAt said:
Jeff said:
I agree.

I'd be more interested in your findings if you left a fair sized section in the most traveled areas unprotected .
Like leaving a couple 5x 5 ft sections of well traveled corridor or lobby unprotected
Then see of you can tell any difference a month or two latter.

I've said this before, the greatest advantage of protectant is to our profits
It's probably THE most over sold product we have..especially on olefin carpet

It's not as bad though as scaring folks with HUGE magnified pics of creepy looking arachnids in an effort to part Mrs Phiff with her dollars to rid her of the EEEEVVVVIIILLLL menace of dustmites ....that she's never had an allergy to.....

at least protectants do have some "minimal" benefits for a short while.
More so on fabric than carpet though

..L.T.A.

I agree with you Larry, I have tested Dupont Teflon, And applied it very heavily on a couple of area carpets. Than the next day I tested it, I noticed very little difference in the surface tension. I don't really think its worth the money for carpets, It works better on furniture. But some people like it I don't really push it much.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
BTW, any of you who work with a decent flooring store, ask them if you can sit in on their PK meetings. You learn a lot. I was surprised how technical these reps get.

Jim, on residential carpets, could you estimate what percentage of protector is applied properly?

I would bet that it is in the single digits.

Also, from a health point of view, have you ever heard that pet and little one must not have any direct contact with the carpet for 36 hours after the application of a fluorocarbon protector? (Full cure time)?

Jim Thomas teaches that in his classes, but I can't remember if he had a reliable source to back it up. Any truth in that?

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
My biggest problem is.......... Are we applying enough with the pump up sprayer.

I have a few cases of magic wands magic spell that I need to use up. Anyone use it that likes it? I'll probably switch to maxim

Name
Lee Stockwell
I measure out how much should be used to cover a given footage, and keep spraying until it's gone. First cover everything, then double back on traffic areas.

RIP IT

Name
Chris
YES they work.
I used to clean the carpets in a very busy electrical sales office EVERY MONTH for $100. ( 1992 )
After 6 months of regular cleaning I told the owner that protector would give him a longer break between cleans and applied some for $100 on top of the cleaning price.
9 months later they needed a clean and came up cleaner and easier than ever.

I like Maxim and 3M.
I apply them through my Hydroforce.

Jeff

Name
Jeff Sybert
Meat

It's funny I did just that the first year I took care of this account. The operations manager looked at the results at month 3 and told me to protect all 18,000 sq ft the next time.

I really think each guy should test his stuff and be able to stand behind it. If you think it's crap, guess what you won't use it right. You'll just mist some water down juice on the carpet because, 'they ain't goin' to know the difference'.

When I educate the customer and they ask me what I think I will be honest with them. Many times I will tell them, 'for you circumstances it's a waste of money' and many times they will say, 'go ahead and do it'. I NEVER misled anyone and NEVER over promise a product. Why? Because they are MY customers and I want them to stay that way.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
I have yet to find one I like and will recommend to my clients for wool rugs.

Biggest issue being that we've had a harder time removing certain stains we normally can remove (i.e. red wine) from rugs that have been "protected."

The old Scotchguard also yellowed some rugs that came through our plant - besides the "yep it causes cancer" scare which freaked many of my clients out.

I know wool is another beast than synthetic - my carpeting in my home is protected. Not my rugs though.

Curious if any of you have found a different experience with wool and your protectors...

Happy new year by the way...
Lisa

Not trying to get off subject but there is no way I would ever spray Teflon or similar on my carpeting in my house. Even when I cleaned my carpet I thought long and hard about the chems being put down. It is one thing to put citrus solv or butyl in a customer's carpet but not mine. I didn't even want to run my normal prespray. I just misted some neutral shampoo, scrubed with a green stripe bonnet, and rinsed with plain water.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Jeff said:
Meat

It's funny I did just that the first year I took care of this account. The operations manager looked at the results at month 3 and told me to protect all 18,000 sq ft the next time.

I really think each guy should test his stuff and be able to stand behind it. If you think it's crap, guess what you won't use it right. You'll just mist some water down juice on the carpet because, 'they ain't goin' to know the difference'.

When I educate the customer and they ask me what I think I will be honest with them. Many times I will tell them, 'for you circumstances it's a waste of money' and many times they will say, 'go ahead and do it'. I NEVER misled anyone and NEVER over promise a product. Why? Because they are MY customers and I want them to stay that way.

Thanks Jeff, that's a beautiful thing.
lemmie ask, I know you said the ops mngr looked, but could YOU tell the difference ?

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
danielc said:
Not trying to get off subject but there is no way I would ever spray Teflon or similar on my carpeting in my house. Even when I cleaned my carpet I thought long and hard about the chems being put down. It is one thing to put citrus solv or butyl in a customer's carpet but not mine. I didn't even want to run my normal prespray. I just misted some neutral shampoo, scrubed with a green stripe bonnet, and rinsed with plain water.

now that's an interesting one.
you're in chems all day and I'm ASSuming using them responsibly, but you fear using them in your own home??

..L.T.A.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I agree with you Larry, I have tested Dupont Teflon, And applied it very heavily on a couple of area carpets. Than the next day I tested it, I noticed very little difference in the surface tension. I don't really think its worth the money for carpets, It works better on furniture. But some people like it I don't really push it much.

Its easier to see a change in surface tension (beading) on flatwoven upholstery fabric than on tufted carpet. When I do my tests, I look for long term soil retardancy when compared to untreated fabric or carpet that I expose to the same amount of traffic and spills.

I've been underwhelmed by the amount of true protection a conventional water based fluorochemical provides to natural fiber upholstery fabrics. Solvent based protectors and some of the new generation water based products made for upholstery work better.

I have yet to find one I like and will recommend to my clients for wool rugs.
I find too many variables in the dyeing processes and prior care to true oriental rugs to feel comfortable either Lisa. Too many strange things are done to rugs before we ever see them. My tests are always inconclusive, as every handmade rug is a unique product, and its difficult to make true side by side tests.

Jim, on residential carpets, could you estimate what percentage of protector is applied properly?

I would bet that it is in the single digits.

I would agree Bill.

Jeff

Name
Jeff Sybert
Meat without a doubt! The difference for me was being in there everyday for Janitorial Services. The carpet just cleaned up better after vacuuming and stayed cleaner longer.

As far as not putting the chems down in my own house as custy's is crazy. If I won't use something myself I'm NOT going to use them in their homes. Besides the only one that is really going to be affected is the guy laying them down. They better be tame enough to handle safely day in and day out. Ever hear of TLV?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom