Question about Psi on portables

NJ104

Name
Juan
I have a ninja 500 that I actually like using but seven years later the psi would drop from 500 psi to 300 psi when I pull the trigger. I checked the intake filter and checked lines to see if there is anything blocked which there are non. It used to drop to maybe 50 psi at the most so 450psi. I have the same wand with the same size spray tips. I was about to take apart the pumptec 207 pump to replace the gaskets and piston but before all that what is a normal psi drop for a portable.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
the manual is available here: https://monsterfloorequipmentparts.com/century_400_parts_manuals.htm. I don't know which model you have.
check the trouble shooting page. Maybe start with lubricating the pressure regulator. also how old are your jets? they can wear our and the hole get enlarged cause more water to flow-- which would drop your pressure. These two simple fixes should done 1 before you dig too deep intothe machine.
good luck

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I have a ninja 500 that I actually like using but seven years later the psi would drop from 500 psi to 300 psi when I pull the trigger. I checked the intake filter and checked lines to see if there is anything blocked which there are non. It used to drop to maybe 50 psi at the most so 450psi. I have the same wand with the same size spray tips. I was about to take apart the pumptec 207 pump to replace the gaskets and piston but before all that what is a normal psi drop for a portable.
It all depends on the flow rate of your wand. However if you were experiencing a 50 psi drop when new, either your jets are worn and flowing more cleaning solution than normal, common with brass jets, or your pump is beginning to fail. Could be that your cam is wearing. I would replace your jets first with the same size stainless steel jets and if you are still having a problem then look to rebuilding the pump.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
One more vote for worn spray jets. They need to be replaced after 3 to 6 months depending upon how much use they get and how hard the water is.

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
And if you work with a porty (carpet & upholstery) and do not clean tile, 300 psi is plenty, as recovering what you put in is the issue.

Consider it a message from the universe :winky:
300 is ok but 450-500 psi cleans better. 2-13.8 amp vac motors provides plenty of suction. I seem to recover 90-95% most of the time.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I suppose I expected the usual circular firing squad, but straight answers to a porty question?
I have slipped dimensions.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ok you wish is my command.

Seven years of use? Certainly you've made a profit by now. Why not do your clients and yourself a favor and buy something more professional. Get a starter TM, be more productive and deliver better results.

One can only bite one's tongue for so long. 😉

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
300 is ok but 450-500 psi cleans better. 2-13.8 amp vac motors provides plenty of suction. I seem to recover 90-95% most of the time.
That, in the US, (not 210/240) will require 3 circuits or really max out the 20 amp circuit.
A whole new circus, which most are not willing or able to do.

And I very much doubt the 90-95% recovery, particularly at 500 psi. Unless you're doing a quick 2" wet pass on the pull only, followed by 12 dry passes.

Which, you being Canadian and all, I wouldn't rule out.

You must be the Werner of the short wet/dry pass extravaganza :winky:

Reactions: roro

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
That, in the US, (not 210/240) will require 3 circuits or really max out the 20 amp circuit.
A whole new circus, which most are not willing or able to do.

And I very much doubt the 90-95% recovery, particularly at 500 psi. Unless you're doing a quick 2" wet pass on the pull only, followed by 12 dry passes.

Which, you being Canadian and all, I wouldn't rule out.

You must be the Werner of the short wet/dry pass extravaganza :winky:
Actually, my 13.8 amp vac motors only take 12 amps once they're running. My 5.5 amp pump and motor only takes 2.74 amps once it's running. So I'm good on 2 15 amp circuits. 3 if I am using a heater. I measure the buckets in and out and I seem to recover most of the water I use. I clean as though I am using a truck mount. One wet pass and one dry pass on moderately soiled carpet.

NJ104

Name
Juan
I got a update I recheck ome of my wamds and seems that someone that changed the t-jet switched from a 11001 to a 110015. Ordered a new set. But that had me wondering when I saw so many different angles one was 110 another was 80 and another 60. So now I am wanting to bring the jets closer to the floor which would have to put a different angle. So is there a formula that I can use to see what best angle works with what distance from t-jet to floor. ??

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I am wanting to bring the jets closer to the floor which would have to put a different angle

no clue what the widest angle made is...110 is the widest I've seen .
anything wider I've seen was the floodjet type

but if going lower to the carpet, you'll need a wider angle depending how low
I'd stay with 110 first...at least you'll know those are wide enough in stock wand config
and "might" be wide enough still if only lowering an inch or less

..L.T.A.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Getting the jets closer to the carpet usually means having more than 2. You will notice that the lowest profile wands have 4-6 jets usually. Most porty's can't handle that unless you have at least a 1/2hp motor powering your pump.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom