Question for guys with truck-mounts?

Billy

Name
BH
Why do you buy truck-mounts with no dealer service network available such as Butler or Aero Tech. When you know when you buy theses two in particular they don't have the service network that HydraMaster, Prochem, Blueline etc have.

I ask this because while considering what new truck we wanted to purchase having a service network was brought up many times by distributors & some cleaners. I didn't put as much importance on this as some do considering past experience. Just so that there is no misunderstanding I am not saying my local distributors are not good. I just can't usually wait until they have time so I buy the parts & fix it my self. So with me I need good phone support & good parts distribution more than local service.

Please don't tell me parts are available faster from a distributor because I waited almost a month to get a new pump for my truck last year. I also didn't get all that was needed for the retro fit so had to buy the remainder from an out of town distributor. If I hadn't had a Water Otter to use I would have lost so much work. I have talked with many Butler or Aero Tech owners they all said parts practically come over night. I consider this to be an advantage to buying from a manufacturer like Butler or Aero Tech. They have good phone support & try very hard to keep parts in stock. I know even these two could have issues.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I think you answered you own question.

If I had the business to justify an Aerotec, or if I were in the market for a new TM and Butler was a consideration, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase either. Not based on support issues, anyway.

Personally, I have never had any issues with my distributor. I have had prompt parts and chemical deliveries over the course of my 19 years in business. However, I have had occasion over the years to come into contact with a few suppliers that gave me "the willies," and I have heard the horror stories from others.

Make a note that I have long claimed that those distributors who make a habit of posting on these boards are the ones you have to often look out for. My personal experience is that those who don't are a better cut.

Billy

Name
BH
Marty said:
I think you answered you own question.

Yes Marty I did answer my own question first but what I want to know is how everyone else would answer this just curious.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Marty are you saying that those suppliers who lurk on these boards just for a measly crumb for a sale are the scumbags of this industry?

And are they the same ones who "Blow up" their products so that they appear to be "Miracle" products so the dumb ass carpet cleaners will buy them?

hogjowl

Idiot™
All I am saying is that we have a disproportionate amount of crummy suppliers who post here in relation to the population in general.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
If you can't fix nothing then buy from and get service from a local distributor. I bought a machine I could work on and have at times, nothing major. Where I use to live I was 1.5 hrs away from a distributor who worked on my old machine, sold it and got a simple unit I could work on and fix. I think a company like butler or aerotech who can overnight a part to you and talk you thru a repair over the phone is fine. If you can change out the part. Call the guys that work on their big trucks and talk to them, thats your best bet. PTo can be worked on by most decent mechanics as a backup to your abilities to fix it or make the drive to Utah.
Buy it, Buy it, Buy it!!!! :)

Mister Sir

P.s. wishing I had enough biz to buy one but knowing its not necessary for my biz. Everyone stands at the door of decision someday. best wishes in your decision.

Matt King

I've never once owned a machine that had a local distributor. For the most part I've run Steam Genies and my PowerClean. If you buy a simple machine I don't think it's That important to have local support. Unless you can't turn a wrench or change your own oil. I know alot of guys can't so I guess they are the exception. A couple things to keep in mind here. Many manufacturers will insist warranty work be done at a certified distributor. You want to keep your warranty, you gotta take it in. Also, in many cases the warranty work cannot be done by you. Even if you could fix it yourself. A pto is slightly different. Just the fact that they don't vibrate and have a less complicated heating system will keep them out of the shop in most cases. A clutch replacement or engine work can be done at any local auto shop so that helps. Butler and Aerotech are doing this every day so it must be working...

Mikey P

Administrator
Although I've done it (Butler and a V) I would love to have a local shop where the techs know my machine, stock parts and can do the big stuff that I am not comfortable doing.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I don't have a local distributor either, but if I did, I'd probably even take my unit in for oil changes, if it would speed things up for me.

I'm all about spending my time cleaning. I'm not making any money if I'm at the shop turning wrenches.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
Mikey P said:
Although I've done it (Butler and a V) I would love to have a local shop where the techs know my machine, stock parts and can do the big stuff that I am not comfortable doing.

the only problem is that most of the time the guy working on your unit is no better than you. where i used to work in md it was a joke watching the guy work on customers equipment. he would strip a bolt and say "oh well" or see something doing something it shouldn't do and not fix it, just wait for it to break. the time frame is also a joke, you need it asap and he is screwing around because it is not his unit that is down. i say go with something easy to work on that wont break to begin with. i am not looking forward to replacing my drive shaft when the time comes but can tell you with butler on speaker phone that it will get done and done the right way and fast..
dave

Mikey P

Administrator
I remember going into a bicycle shop once to have my head set adjusted...
It was a fancy shmancy seal unit that took two special wrenches the would not scratch the anodized finish. .

Damn guy said no problem and came out with a ******* Pipe Wrench.

I told him you got to be joking..

He wasn't.

Greenie

If you are better with a wand than a wrench then consider a machine that your local Dist WANTS to sell.

If your local has nimrods for mechanics, then go PTO and take your knocks as they come.

The big trucks are simple enough I wouldn't be intimidated as long as you took the time to UNDERSTAND the system, and the logical flow pattern. Most of your work can be done by a pressure was repair facility and a diesel truck facility, you won't need to visit a local supplier.

Now....that said, the guys who buy truck mounted units and think they don't need to learn what a 13mm socket is, baffle me.
You learned about fabrics, you learned about chemistry, You will learn to work on your machine.

If nothing more than to fix the little nickle and dime things that take 10 mins. and keep you away from big repair bills. Heck just checking all the systems everyday will keep you out of deep water, as most don't.

Frank E

I'm no mechanic but from what I have heard the mechanic at the local distributor isn't either LOL.. I went with Butler and have not regretted it so far, their customer support is second to none and the unit is very easy to work on , everything is hooked up with quick connects...

GRHeacock

As I see it, I say go with the simplest machine.

The more complicated bells and whistles, the more possibility of problems.

And forget certain proprietary parts, that break inside something else that gets damaged trying to remove the proprietary part and you have to replace that too- and cost twice as much and takes twice as long because they have to get the part from Hong Kong, or somewhere far away.

Simplest is best, in my humble opinion.

Gary

blaisesdaddy

Go with a Butler. They're extremely reliable. If something should go south on your machine, you've got a complete schematic hanging from the ceiling at the side door... and the customer support is the best in the industry. So long as you do the slightest bit of required maintenance, you will not worry about service issues for a long time.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I have to agree with Gary. His years in this business, on the working end of a wand, counts for a lot, in my book. Simple is usually better.

However, I also hear you can't go wrong with Butler.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
As Greenie said- decide what you want to do and let that guide you. We have had incredible service from Butler and do all maintenance and repairs in house. Parts are received overnight if needed from Butler and many are avail from local plumbing supply stores etc. You can also have a little kit of the nickle/dime plumbing parts and braided lines you can field fix.

I am sure that many local distributors are also excellent, specifically JonDon, Pemberton's etc.

Ken
Ps Marty must have sniffed too much pig shit today, he is really ranting on the distributors. I do not personally know many of the vendors who post here, but Jim Pemberton is about as classy and willing to help, without a caveat, as they come.

G

I bought a Butler, although they don't have a network of distributors for maintenance. Why? First I already knew about Butler's super service, not only before the sale, but after the sale. Next, I knew that I wanted a PTO. I looked at a few other PTO's too, but none were as professionally decked out as the Butler.

I then took a tour of the Butler facility in Ludlow, MA. Everyone at Butler was fantastic and the facility is first class!

As far as maintenance on the Bulter. To change the oil you drive thru Jiffy Lube. To change the blower oil you simply release a little valve and recover the oil and fill it back up. To drain the pump oil you do the same. No wrenches, no screwdrivers, no mess. Literally takes minutes to do.

To flush the blower it takes minutes. Again no wrenches, and no screw drivers.

No matter what TM you buy...I'd say tour the facility and get to know the people before you plop down your money!

I do wish that Butler had a larger hose reel though.

I surely don't regret buying a Butler! I'll buy another one too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom