Question for sMarty..

Mikey P

Administrator
You can toss this right back at me but I'm really curious as to why you are not running crews yet.

You know it's the way to riches in your chosen field. You know you could find plenty of Bammers that would work for a decent commission. You know you are clever and savvy enough to figure out how to market to the multi truck type client. You know you have been offered a free pass to SFS.

So, why not?

The Preacher

he's scared one of his employees would have a BIG hed and try to start a cleaners BBS and tawk trash about a #3 blower!!!

PS is yore house getting foreclosed and you thinking about moving to Bama???

hogjowl

Idiot™
I jumped into this business back in 88 with both oars in the water. Almost overnight I was running three crews, doing insurance restoration work and diversified cleaning work. Made good money, wasn't on the truck, secretary, office, etc., etc. Life was hell. So, I consciously down sized with the vow to never grow beyond my comfort zone again.

I didn't foresee having an Island Boy experience 19 years later.

Now that I have been Toburen bit, I am starting to want to grow again, and plan a little better for my retirement. You know ... having something to sell. My problem is, over the years, my business model has become one that is totally the opposite of what works in the world of multi-truck cleaning firms. I am an ICS cleaner.

So, I have to figure out how to change my business model from where I am now, to more of what Ken Snow does, without losing my current client base. You see, unless I am totally off base with my assessment, you really can't BE a successful, profitable, multi-truck company ... focusing solely on carpet cleaning, and the few concentric diversification's available to the CC. I will avoid insurance restoration work like the plague. So, the question is, how do you drop your level of service, while maintaining your current client base? Or, will I have to sacrifice them for them for the common good?

The Preacher

i'd like to have a Ken Snow model type biz also with 3-4 trucks. I think Curtis Pennington runs a similar deal with 3-4 trucks, i know he also charges more for certain services.

harryhides

Name
Tony
admiralclean said:
So, I have to figure out how to change where I am now, to more of what Ken Snow does.

Hearing Marty sing at a Karioke bar would give me nightmares.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Marty,

Remind me what the population is of your market area. (People, not pigs.)

Does anyone other than me find it a somewhat bewildering experience when Mr. Sutley posts a lengthy, intelligently written and non-sarcastic message? Very nicely done, mind you, but somewhat of a Twilight Zone feeling?

BTW, don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Marty. Many of our SFS members followed exactly your course in business. They jumped in to this industry without any real business experience or training, grew quickly and were out of control, were miserable and retreated back to a solo owner/operator business. (Which basically is a well paid job with a lot of freedom.)

A number of years go by and these solo operators start looking down the road and see retirement looming. So with some years of experience and wisdom behind them they start searching for some solid concepts, systems and procedures to let them grow again but in a controlled and sane way.

Without getting too mushy what is that old Chinese saying? "When the pupil is ready the teacher (or the seminar) will appear?"

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS Actually, Marty, it would be quite the experience to have both you and Mikey in the same SFS class in October at our Philadelphia location ... Hmmm, on second thought, Marty may I recommend September for you in Chicago? And yes, SFS can be FREE. And you know how ... :)

Fon Johnson

OK, something is out of whack with the universe.. Marty comes here and makes a sensible, coherent, intelligent, LONG post of substance. THEN Steve makes a post with only one PS that is shorter than his post. Is jupiter aligned with mars or what? :shock:

I think I'm in a parallel universe. I'm scared, somebody hold me! :?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
So, I have to figure out how to change my business model from where I am now, to more of what Ken Snow does, without losing my current client base. You see, unless I am totally off base with my assessment, you really can't BE a successful, profitable, multi-truck company ... focusing solely on carpet cleaning, and the few concentric diversification's available to the CC. I will avoid insurance restoration work like the plague. So, the question is, how do you drop your level of service, while maintaining your current client base? Or, will I have to sacrifice them for them for the common good?

I know the common misconception among owner/operators is that quality and employees don't go together, but that's a justification to stay within their comfort zone. Working on your own with no employees can work out great, but there are plenty of multi-truck/high end companies that you just don't know about since they aren't mass advertising.

You run a successful, long-term business with plenty of repeat customers, so the foundation is there. The system you develop to maintain a high level of service with employees doing the physical work is where your focus needs to be.

It sounds like this is your time to become a manager, a business owner, and give up being your own employee. Your former experience with employees should not keep you from expanding, it should prepare you well for doing things better this time.

Start by letting go of totally off base assessments. :)

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Marty just give up your business and work for Jon Don so YOU to can come on here and tell us BDCC what to do?

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Well said, Bryan. I couldn't say it better myself so I won't try.

Steve

PS Being from the DR and all I'm not used to this new technology and all. I'm on I-5 going from Portland to Seattle for three days of R and R after three grueling days with John Watson, et al! Sioux is driving. That's right- this newfangled mobile broadband card lets me be connected 24-7 (at least while I am in the States) Sioux says it may be the end of our marriage.

hogjowl

Idiot™
admiralclean said:
You see, unless I am totally off base with my assessment, you really can't BE a successful, profitable, multi-truck company ... focusing solely on carpet cleaning, and the few concentric diversification's available to the CC.

I came in this afternoon and reviewed my post and this sentence did not make sense, or express a complete thought. What I wanted to convey was that I feel it is not practical to try and run such a business while at the same time following ICS/BB professed cleaning practices.

Fon Johnson

I believe that with tight management and getting the right crew hired, you can run a multi-truck company capable of doing quality work. As for how much you can squeeze out of people, that depends on what your market will bear. What you can get out of your clients will depend on where you are. There will always be those that are willing to pay for quality, but just how much they will pay, and how many there are that are willing to pay top dollar will vary according to where you are. I think that the median salaries and home values where Howard is are going to be different from those in a lot of other areas..

Mikey P

Administrator
If he doesn't, I will.

I love Ken but I can not for the life of me see how his system can produce high quality results on location.

Fon Johnson

No, Marty. I'm not saying that Ken's company does not do quality work. You know what I mean.. I am referring to quality as in what an anal owner operator does. Ken operates a company that relies on systems to be in and out quick. The "traditional ICS cleaner" goes above and beyond in extra steps and "dog and pony show". The whole point of this is not about just high end cleaning, but the clientele. I think that Ken's company is more akin to SS as to pricing etc. I also think that if we are honest with ourselves, most of us will have to admit that a good cleaner with quality equipment, tools, and chemicals can produce carpet that looks as good as the guy who goes through 57 "steps" to get there.

It is not just the look of the carpet after cleaning that people pay for. They pay for the experience of the butt kissing multi-stepper. :lol:

McDonalds sells a LOT of coffee. Star Bucks sells a LOT of coffee. Many people say that McDonalds coffee is as good as that sold at Star Bucks. Why are they both successful? Is McDonalds going under because they sell their coffee for less money? Is the McDonalds coffee several dollars inferior to Star Bucks? I have heard a LOT of people say that McDonalds coffee is just as good. Of course you will get those who will say that it is NOT nearly as good too.. How much of this is based on atmospehere? There have been blind taste tests where many people chose cheaper coffee over the Star Bucks. The same blind taste test was done for "designer" vodka and cheap vodka.

On a light to moderately soiled carpet I can make it look as good as Mikey can with his Vortex. The experience might be different, and I believe that is at least part of the whole high end cleaning thing. I don't go overboard with steps, and a dog and pony show. I also have clients that say I do the best work they have ever had, and they would not dream of calling someone else. They also say that I am better than other companies that clean similar to the way I do. Do I have magic juice in my sprayer, or is it something else?

Hire a people person, and teach them to clean carpet. A people person producing clean carpet is what most people want. If you have one but not the other, you may just be in trouble. If they like you, and you get the carpet clean, you pretty much have it nailed. If you are selling the dog and pony show, you have to sell it to those who want it. You will not sell a Ford Focus to someone who wants to buy a BMW. You also will not sell a BMW to someone who just wants (and may only have the money for) a Ford Focus. Both cars will get you where you want to go, so why does anyone spend the extra money for a BMW?

Just like with the cars, you have to target the audience for the service you provide. BMW will not send advertisements to households with an income of $35,000 per year. Ford does mass marketing for the Focus.

I think you can be professional, courteous, clean cut, friendly, likeable, and still wow people without the dog and pony show. There are a lot of people out there who just want a satisfying cup of coffee. There are others who want Star Bucks..

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Marty- Why not team up with the Dept. of Corrections and run crews of inmates to clean your carpets. At least it would get them off the streets. LOL, Get it?

hogjowl

Idiot™
Several reasons. I was young and very impatient. Crew personnel made me crazy. I couldn't understand how people could be so careless. Plus, the stress of being booked solid for the day, and having someone not show up for work got to me. However, in the end, it was the hiring of a true con-man that did me in. This dude could sell ice water to an Eskimo. He was paid on commission, and would leave work every morning with $400 to $600 in work to do and would come in that afternoon with $800 to $1200. (Remember ... this was in the 80"s) What I didn't know was that he was really selling more than just that, he was keeping any cash he got and not reporting it. Long story ... and much more that he did, but in the end, he just about ruined my faith in humanity.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Dear Mr. Sutley,

Some of us would like to help you with your conundrum mentioned above. (Bryan already has.) If I am correct, here is your central question:

"So, the question is, how do you drop your level of service, while maintaining your current client base? Or, will I have to sacrifice them for them for the common good?"

My guess is this is a central issue affecting many of our board members. So it is an excellent question to develop. HOWEVER, I fear the stress of writing all these LENGTHY, intelligent, serious and most importantly introspective posts are causing you major memory loss problems.

I asked above what is the human population of your chosen market area. It was a sincere question because population base will determine the potential for any given type of cleaning operation. So can you help us out here?

Thank you,
Steve

PS There is hope, Marty. Not to wax all sentimental and mushy here but you have already taken the most important step which is admitting that a) you want to change and b) you don't have all the answers and c) you want advice from others.

Someone a lot smarter than I stated thousands of years ago, "In the multitude of counselors there is accomplishment," (Proverbs 15: 22) So how many people live in your market area? While you are at it please share your analysis of the competitive situation, average income and any other pertinent points on your market demographics. (I just love that word. It makes me sound like I know what I am talking about.)

PPS BTW, been there- done that with being victimized by employees. Tragic. And of course the biggest loss had nothing to do with money.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Mikey P said:
If he doesn't, I will.

I love Ken but I can not for the life of me see how his system can produce high quality results on location.
Greetings Mikey, great board.

As a direct competitor of Mr. Snow's company, I can verify that Hagopian does excellent work, from what I have heard from customers that called on them, and from business owners that use their commercial services. Being a one man show I can offer a more personal type of cleaning experience that some people prefer, and since it takes me longer to complete a job than does their two man crews, the perception can be they are getting more for their money, but really this isn't rocket science. If you are using top quality equipment and reliable and experienced carpet cleaners the finished product is going to be essentially the same as done by even the best of owner operators.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Mikey P said:
Cool beans..

But I got to ask, what type of equipment and methods do you use?

I've been a steam cleaner since I started in 1975 always using it as a fresh water rinser of the preconditioning of TLC and rotary scrubbing. As the steam cleaning machines and chemicals improved over the years, I came to rely on the scrubber less and less, but it is always in the truck, (the same Clarke C-15 from 1975 with a well worn 20" brush), and I have no qualms about using it on a heavily soiled traffic lane. My truck mount is currently a White Magic Pro 1200.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom