Quick question for you guys.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
A lot of it comes down to the relationship and level of trust within the relationship between yourself and the adjuster.

I have a number of adjuster that will even send me on others claims to advise if the carpet is salvagable or not. Usually I'll be able to tell them right off if I can, (yes or no) what likely results (75%, 90% 100% or whatever) if I can and how much. ($$$$ fixed or variable depending on job specifics)

But this didn't happen straight off, it's something that has built with trust and work done, and when I see one that I can't do, I'll often request the damaged piece in a large square of carpet for testing.

I had one today. took me 5 minutes onsite, did it while I was driving by and called the adjuster and gave him a quote on the spot. He called back within 20 minutes and gave me the go ahead. The clients have full replacement cover. $300.00 +tax for a job that will take me 20-30 minutes to do, followed up with a clean of the lounge dining rooms.
Inspection and consultation $45.00
Repair work $135.00
Cleaning. $120.00

But if he had declined the job, I'd have not charged him a cent because I get a steady flow of these from him.

The main thing that helped change this was learning the art of re tufting/re burling :wink: the number of times a row is accidentally pulled during an uplift or during drying stages and needs re sewing is amazing. (yes I've had to do the odd one for nothing too, when it was caused by us :oops: ) If I can save the other contractor's butt, and the adjuster can see what I've done, that really impresses them and they automatically give you a bit more credibility and remember you the next time they have a similar situation.

John

Stevea

Steve,

John, as usual, gave great advice, I really have nothing to add to what he said.

Having said that, I have noticed more and more insurance people, coming to repair classes for the sole purpose of finding out what can and cannot be repaired instead of replaced. One of the big items that has come up quite a bit is if delamination can be repaired. Of course it can be done fairly easily.

I had one recently tell me that is why so many in the insurance industry are getting certified, in many restoration areas, so they will intelligently know what can and what cannot be done.

I would think this would be a great source for one to market to and build up a relationship, as John explained so well.

With the cost of everything today and the obvious slowing down of revenue, I would imagine insurance will start to demand repair in many cases that were just routinely replaced.

SA

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom