quoting a tile job

steve_64

I talked to a car dealership about cleaning their tile yesterday. ive been cleaning the carpet but have never done tile until i did mine in the new house. I have done VCT and some concrete now but thats it.

I got a rough measurement of 5820 sq.ft. the grout is salt stained in a lot of areas and i dont think its ever been cleaned. I saw where they moved a file cabinet and OMG it was so obvious this stuff is filthy.

I forgot to take pictures and am not really sure what the material is. It looks like slate, its a light grey and one solid color, at least where the cabinet was. It has a rough texture also.

I have no idea how to bid this or what product to use. I was planning on just using a carbide brush with the 175 and a mop. I also have a nylon brush that ive used on concrete. I wasnt even thinking about worrying about the grout lines except where they are really bad because there is so much of it and i will be doing most of the work myself.

After reading another post here im thinking i should price it for the grout and sealing it, or should i split it up with the option? I may need to speak to Jim Martin about his grout sealing products and techniques.

I think im going to go back today for more information like material and expectations. I may even see if i can get a price expectation. I have to admit im a bit nervous about this. Im going to get pictures too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Name
cameron demille
I wouldn't recommend your first tile job being on a floor for an existing customer to have a good report with.

With that being said, if it is porcelain or ceramic, there isn't much to it, but you say it is salt stained? Like efflorescence? If that's that case, be careful what you say to them as far as expected results. The more water that is introduced, the more of that stuff will come up to the surface. There are efflorescence removers and pre treatments out there. Vinegar works, but would look a little ghetto if a dealership is hiring you to clean. AquaMix makes a product called EFF-Ex sor something like that. I used it a long time ago and it seemed to work pretty well.

but I would strongly recommend posting pictures or sending them to Mike before you move forward. pictures help us help you.

steve_64

20150701_133618.jpg
20150701_133542.jpg

It looks like this should be an easy job. Im sure ill impress them.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve,

It's a car dealership, they should be thrilled just to have it clean... Ever the nice ones are nasty!
20140601_111907.jpg

The one below is the flipping lunch/break room.... Salesmen are slobs....
20140601_100252.jpg

Put down a product, scrub the tile and grout, rinse it.... Then seal it. They are stupid if they don't seal it, most know it needs to be sealed(easy money).

5k of tile will be a lot of work.

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
With that much of of a soil film you will have to go with an Alkaline cleaner first. I like Stone Pro and Modern Stone, but I don't know if they are in your area.

If you are going to sell them on sealing you should do a second cleaning step with an acid, but now you getting into bigger money.

Honestly on this one I don't know if would offer a sealer at first and I am a big believer in sealers. However sealing the grout wont effect the massive soil film on that tile. Since their routine cleaning system doesn't seem very good, you may want to consider offer a maintenance cleaning schedule to clean regularly, instead of sealing.

Not a difficult job, but a big one. If you have more then one truck run them or at least get a helper to run the scrubber while you extract.

Oh yeah and speed drying will help limit the efflorescence and a mild acid will typically remove it.

steve_64

i got the job and they want it sealed. now i need to find the right sealer.

i got a good degreaser and product for the effervescence from a local supplier.

i will be scrubbing and mopping this job. im sure it will take most of the day next saturday. this will be my biggest single day payday yet.

steve_64

20150802_194616.jpg
20150802_144702.jpg

Jobs done and customer is happy. Took three of us about thirteen hours over the weekend. Ended up using the wand to suck up the goo.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

steve_64

And we talked about a maintenance program. I may even get genny in there to do some monthly cleaning.

Reactions: tmiklethun

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Nice job, Steve. I like Viper Venom and a CRB to scrub, then a second pass with superheated steam if the first didn't get it perfectly satisfactory. I also use a 175 and blue brush but only when the grout is nearly flush with the surface. Most of our tile work is residential and other cleaning is taking place at the same time.
Good luck and congratulations!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom