Raised my Vacuum Hose reel,

John Watson

10 inches. My thanks to our buddy's down under for their sharing with us how the squeeze 10 lbs of stuff in their 5 lb vans. I now can store my repair and re-installation tools, plus other stuff under the reel to free up another 2 feet down the center of the rear of my stretched van. What was wasted space above the reel will come in handy. I ain't figured out how to send pictures yet so I will email my smart short buddy down under to see if he would do the honors.. Heck, I might be able to carry the Cimex all the time now.

kpip

raising your vac reel

interesting about you raising your vac reel, how did you do it? did you do it yourself? i desperately need that wasted space too i would love to see some pics of it you can email me if you want

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Cool beans, John.

I've considered hanging the hose reel from the roof ever since I saw pics of someone's set up like that.
"Think" it may have been one of Duane Oxley's set ups.

Anyway, that would free some precious floor space, as well

..L.T.A.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
DSCN0418.jpg

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I was just thinking that an inverted hose would probably eliminate the hose falling over the side when its very full. I have a 200' high profile and with 200' of 2' hose it sometimes won't all stay on.

John Watson

I sent the photo's to the Short one down below, If he ain't croaked I'm sure he will post when he can.

I was also intrigued with Duane's set up, but his is a narrow profiled reel just like I sold Roxy. I wouldn't have gained that much hanging mine upside down.

My reel is a little different than most, It has only 1 side leg, It has an electric gear driven motor, The frame is 1 1/4 steel sq tubing and as the welder found out today the actual reel is aluminum. (He went to add some Blk 1/4x1/2x1/2 Angle to stiffen the hose stays up. No stickem puckey would work) The Base of my unit is like a T. Hopefully you will be able to see all that is needed in the pictures

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
One foot in the box, but life goes on ;-)

Photo too small.

Will re-size & post to-night.

Becker

Name
Becker
Slick set up Duane Oxley! If I recall that is a mini van right?

I'm not sure I have 10 inches above my hose reel. In fact I think I only have 3-4 inches.

Of course I only have a standard Ford Van.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Bugger, work can wait, the HUNTER beckons ;-)

JohnWatson1.jpg

JohnWatson2.jpg

JohnWatson3.jpg

JohnWatson4.jpg

JohnWatson5.jpg

JohnWatson6.jpg

Cheers mate,

Photo's are blurry, I can re-size back to the original small one if you like.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
John...

The main advantage of hanging a hose reel isn't the clearance underneath (though that is a plus). It's being able to slide the reel sideways, so that the frame is positioned over the wheel well on one side, which effectively makes it even narrower by about 2 to 3". That, plus the frame on the opposite side isn't touching the floor, giving you increased floorspace that way as well.

Duane

steve g

Name
steve garrett
SDU I am sorry bud but that van needs a major cleaning :shock: I have to admit I am with the vortex guys in saying a well organized and clean looking unit in the customers eyes reflects on your work.

duane, I like the idea of suspending the reel from the roof, although with hoses I would imagine that is a couple hundred pounds, most vans roofs don't look sturdy enough to hold that much weight, I see the metal going across the roof, but is that really enough??

KBRENNY

I was shopping at lowes one saturday and found a washing machine storage cabinet that goes under the washing machine for storage and it was on clearance from 199 to 79 measured it and it was the same footprint as my reel so I got it and mounted it under my reel then my reel to it. The manufacturer says it will hold an imbalanced washing machine full of clothes and water while it is running without a problem so I figured it could hold a hose reel and hoses. I know it is not the same as elevating or hanging inverted but gave me some valuable storage space and worked great. There are pics of it in the 1000 words area under pics of my new truck, near the end.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Steve:

I've done several vans with a hanging hose reel. None have fallen or warped, etc.

Basically, I used 1.5" x 1.5" angle iron, 1/4" thick to make the hangers. That makes them very rigid. On each end of the hanger, there are 2 holes, to allow for 2 bolts. The holes are drilled as far as possible from each other, while still allowing mounting... typically 1.5" or so.

The hangers are attached to the channel that is located at the area where the ceiling and the wall join. The through- bolts are reinforced from the back with fender washers. And since there are 2 ends to each hanger, with 2 holes on each, 8 bolts are used.

Hope this helps...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom