Really Dirty Carpet

Walt

dirtycarpet1.jpg

dirtycarpet3.jpg

dirtycarpet2.jpg

Snapped these pics with my phone.

I guess they left a little residue on the carpet. They were very surprised. So was I. Wish I had had the camera or at least a little better lighting.

Jeff

Name
Jeff Sybert
Not to sound negative or anything but...with the pictures it looks to me that you just laid the nap down. I did a carpet about like that yesterday and if I left the nap down it was almost white but when I groomed it back up it was it's nice poop brown color. Just my two cents. But I would have loved to see a wand stroke going the other way, then there would be no doubts.

But no matter I am sure you cleaned it well! :D

joe harper

Name
joe harper
The carpet gets soiled evenly .....because of the chemical residue left behind....

NO OFFENCE ....Peter but this is a former Chem-Dry custy...The residue was terrible.. :oops:

HARPERPIC449.jpg

HARPERPIC445.jpg

HARPERPIC447.jpg

Torn

Name
Chris Thomas
HARPER said:
The carpet gets soiled evenly .....because of the chemical residue left behind....

NO OFFENCE ....Peter but this is a former Chem-Dry custy...The residue was terrible.. :oops:

HARPERPIC449.jpg

HARPERPIC445.jpg

HARPERPIC447.jpg

So what chemicals did you use?

Thanks

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
goomes said:
Hmmmm....... I have never seen such evenly distributed soling ........

What Harper said

"The carpet gets soiled evenly .....because of the chemical residue left behind."

with caveat.....it doesn't "have" to be a chem residue left from cleaning.

It can also be from environmental elements .
Like smoking, cooking, etc

From my experience, berbers that aren't cleaned often (but otherwise don't look soiled) generally show the most dramatic contrast

..L.T.A.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Chris,
NO Prespray...It was FULL OF CHEM.... :shock:
230 Degree Water....&....Prochem "all fiber rince"....metered at 3GPH...

The carpet was very "Stickey"...It had just been cleaned the month before.. :roll:
"oh ya" and LOTS of Chemspect Defomer....

Larry,
Good "EYE"... :wink:
Custy was a heavy smoker..."God Bless Her"

R

rotovacguy

HARPER said:
Chris,

The carpet was very "Stickey"...It had just been cleaned the month before.. :roll:

Larry,

Nice work, guys!

Hey Harper, that Chemspec defoamer works pretty good, eh? I bought a 50 lb tub of it (dry crystal) from Jon Don, and am very impressed with it, especially on jobs like the ones shown!!

I can't remember who told me on here, maybe it was Larry Cobb, but said the liquid defoamers are STRONGER then the crystals. I have to strongly disagree, at least after having used them both, I will NOT go back to the liquid stuff. Maybe my dilution ratio was off, idk, all I do know is foam up is a thing of the past since I switched to the dry crystal stuff. Plus I find the crystals easier to snort up the hoses to clear them out, too.

Is that what you use is the Chemspec dry crystal? Or do you use the Chemspec liquid?

Oh, and just how much defoam did you go through on that place?? :p

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Telly,

CRYSTAL'S only...Never had good luck at all with...."Liquid"...defoamers....

We just take a handful....Let it be sucked through the vac. hose...

On really BAD jobs like this one...We will put a handul in the "sock" of the in-line filter. :idea:

This will help de-foam...before getting to the waste tank .... :wink:

Torn

Name
Chris Thomas
HARPER said:
Chris,

Larry,

Thanks Joe. Nice work.

Walt

Jeff said:
Not to sound negative or anything but...with the pictures it looks to me that you just laid the nap down. I did a carpet about like that yesterday and if I left the nap down it was almost white but when I groomed it back up it was it's nice poop brown color. Just my two cents. But I would have loved to see a wand stroke going the other way, then there would be no doubts.

But no matter I am sure you cleaned it well! :D

I groomed it when I was done and it looked white. I would have taken a picture but they were standing there. I didn't want to embarrass them.

Harper nailed it. It's residue left by the last cleaner. I don't know who did it last. I suspect they did. That coupled with the dog makes us look like heros.

That all said. It was mostly a case of rinsing out what the other guy left behind. Not particularly difficult. I presprayed with Planet Guard (and a touch of citrus solve). Presrubbed with CRB and rinsed like mad.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Chem-Hack leaves an Elmer's Glue-like residue.

Heavy candle-burning will leave evenly-distributed soot.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
CleanEvolve said:
I love those kind of jobs.

me too.
cause it's super easy to be a hero in the custy's eyes

(not to take anything away from Walt or Joe's pics)
They look great, guys

just that those type of cleaning scenarios are cake.
Mrs Phiff's eyes pop out of head in amazement as you've just become the "greatest CCer in the world" to her and she'll tell all her friends

..L.T.A.

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
I'd agree with Jeff...looks like it's the way the nap is laying...because the "dirty" section doesn't look so dirty...

As far as your pics Harper...great job...but i will remind you and everyone else here...Chem-Dry's are not created equal. There are still CD's out there using (ONLY) the spray and buff method...which is probably the method used on the carpets you cleaned...because if I came to that home and used a CTS-450 TM with Powerhead (same if not better than your RX-20)..i know i'd get the same results. But I've seen a CD hack use a TM and fly through the job and it looked like sh$t...with only 120PSI, you have to take your time. On average...4-5 rooms take me 2 hours. I get amazing results and would put the CTS/Powerhead up against any other system out there. Over the years we've heard the CD bashing...the great Vortex/Aerotech fued...porty vs. TM and so on...the fact is: a quality technician who cares about his work/custy can do just as good w/ a porty/wand as joe blow with super heat/rx...just takes longer...it all comes down to the guy/gal doing the cleaning...do they care? Do they know what they're doing? Are they rushing?

I will be the first to say it...there are hacks in every franchise...my CD has taken work from other CD's...so you're not hurting my feelings by pointing out that a CD did sh#tty work..it happens...but don't lump us all into that catagory due to a few fukups...

Just realize that we didn't get where we are because most techs sucked...it's the other way around. :D

tim

Im sure there are good franchises and bad ones but the big limitation is you have to use their equipment and chemicals. Some are probably good, some are crap. No chemical supplier has the best chemical in every category. The equipment is good, hydramaster and rx20 (basically) but limited to 150 psi and their chemicals means that someone with better chems and higher flow will outclean you. They dont have a business model to give the best clean. It is to give a good, low moisture clean at an attractive price to the general consumer. I think the good franchises provide that. What I hate about the even soiling is you have to move all the furniture because you can see where you dont clean. Had a former chemdry acct that was the exact same way.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
rotovacguy said:
Hey Harper, that Chemspec defoamer works pretty good, eh? I bought a 50 lb tub of it (dry crystal) from Jon Don, and am very impressed with it, especially on jobs like the ones shown!!

I can't remember who told me on here, maybe it was Larry Cobb, but said the liquid defoamers are STRONGER then the crystals. I have to strongly disagree, at least after having used them both, I will NOT go back to the liquid stuff. Maybe my dilution ratio was off, idk, all I do know is foam up is a thing of the past since I switched to the dry crystal stuff. Plus I find the crystals easier to snort up the hoses to clear them out, too.

Is that what you use is the Chemspec dry crystal? Or do you use the Chemspec liquid?

We sell the Chemspec powder defoamer ...

but a good liquid defoamer is stronger.

The ones you are getting MUST be watered down.

Larry

Name
Nate W.
Larry Cobb said:
rotovacguy said:

We sell the Chemspec powder defoamer ...

but a good liquid defoamer is stronger.

The ones you are getting MUST be watered down.

Larry

A well formulated liquid defoamer is stronger..... Know where I could get some? I was looking forward to meeting you, but didn't run accross you Mr. Cobb. Maybe another time. :wink:

Btw Walt, very nice job! :D

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Walt...Very nice job!!!...That looks like a "TI WAND".?

What ever it is set-up perfect....No streaking or jet distortion...Bad set-up
would show every flaw on the type of soiling..."looks great"

Peter,

You are correct...Operator failure is the #1 cause of poor results...

Larry Cobb,

I can agree with you that a liquid de-foamer can be better..."For porty users"
The problem that I have with the liquids are...the shelf life...They stink as the age..
We run APO's...& very rarely use any de-foamer..I have never found any de-foamer
more consistant than Chemspec Crystal Defoamer..

PS

Larry, many years ago...We would apply powdered de-foamer to a urine stain...

It would lighten or remove the stain..What chemical contributes to this result.???

Do they contain a acid or oxidizing chemical.????

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I totally agree with the residue comments

not to slam the franchise companies but when I ask the customer who cleaned it last and they mention the franchise companies I generally just vacuum well and rinse like mad

results are always great

looks great Walt

I like Joe's idea of putting the defoamer in a mesh bag. The only problem with that is I don't have one. Almost all of the jobs I have had where soap was a problem was from the customer trying to clean their own carpet. Most have small Bissel type machines and add way too much solution. Even the carpets that are soapy from other cleaners really don't kill the suction like Bissel shampoo. If I am on a job where the suction is off from foam, I take powdered defoamer and just sprinkle it around on the carpet that way it is constantly defoaming from the wand to the tank.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Dan,

If you don't use a in-line filter...
You can put a cup of defoamer in pair of ladies stockings...
Then you can put it in the filter basket of the dump tank..."serves the same purpose"

I would be careful sprinkling directly on the carpet..."It can pull color"..

I have tried to find out what ingrediant can cause this...But to no avail..

Maybe Shawn F. can chime in ???

It states on the Jug..."DO NOT apply directly to carpet..."

PS..Pre-Bag 3 or 4 stockings...&... store in the jar...This will save you time..when you
run into this problem.. :idea:

HARPER said:
Dan,

Then you can put it in the filter basket of the dump tank..."serves the same purpose"

PS..Pre-Bag 3 or 4 stockings...&... store in the jar...This will save you time..when you

I keep three in-line filters on my truck with stainless mesh filters. On jobs with vac loss problems from soap in the carpet I am not really woried about the tank as much as I am about foam building up in the vac hose. I really don't see any way to prevent that than to have the defoamer going through the hose. Thoughts?

Another option would be to just keep a trigger srayer on hand and spray some in the vac line every so often along with the sock trick.

Name
Nate W.
danielc said:
HARPER said:
Dan,

I keep three in-line filters on my truck with stainless mesh filters. On jobs with vac loss problems from soap in the carpet I am not really woried about the tank as much as I am about foam building up in the vac hose. I really don't see any way to prevent that than to have the defoamer going through the hose. Thoughts?

I believe this has been debated before. Bridgepoint has a defoamer that you can spray on the carpet. I read some where that it can alter the pre spray. I'll try and find the link.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom