Rebuilding turbo bearing vs new. Anyone successful?

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
cobb sells a rebuild kit for less that 1/2 of new, not sure if it's worth it?

Any one have experience in this ?

Is the longevity the same?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Problem is the wear that is both visible and invisible, as the repair might initially be successful but fail in a matter of month or just some uses.

You can't remove the frequency imprinted on the shaft/ cam and ensure you put it back in the same spot and that is why they fail repeatedly.

That is not to say some will be extremely lucky and rebuild theirs and it last a while but the odds are not in your favor.

I completely rebuilt one for a local guy and it lasted him 4 pretty large jobs but then it went completely out causing damage.

I would buy the whole assembly and be done with it.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Can't pick up a swivel assembly cheaper at a car wash supplier like Dultmeiers?

mmarkovic

Can't pick up a swivel assembly cheaper at a car wash supplier like Dultmeiers?
Jimmy,
Not all spinner tools are compatible with just any swivel. I designed the Turbo-Hybrid using the same foot print and length as the original Turbo (black housing) Only a few changes in the swivel were made for the newer Hybrid Turbo but they wouldn't affect interchangeability. The newer design allowed for lower profile to get under commercial appliances etc. By installing an adapter 90 degree elbow JIC fitting you might be able to get another model swivel but not a different manufacturer as the spraybar won't be compatible at all. Larry Cobb is right about rebuild success.

You see there are three weep holes on the newer swivel that allow water to exit if the seals are damaged or worn. when water starts to get to the barrings eminent failure is next.
failed Swivel.jpg

When the seals fail first then the barrings follow. You just can't open up the barrings, squirt a little grease and go back to work. So if you catch the weep holes as they start to eject water you can then rebuild with a new seal kit. But it won't take long for the barrings to fail if you ignore seepage. The way to check is turn over the tool, hold the spraybar to keep from spinning then study the center hub to see if water is oozing from around the mounting nuts. I just lost my seal this week (as it started dragging and running slower, then the barrings finally gave out today after many hundreds of hours of daily use in hard AZ water.

There are several other things that cause early failure to the seals and then barrings. Metering chemicals will cause premature aging. Try to never lift and then bang downward the tool while it is spinning. The seals are two highly polished ceramic surfaces that are lubricated by water while running and sudden slams could cause a crack in one or both seals. In areas where freeze potential could destroy the seals overnight if water is left within the swivel. expansion of frozen water could easily crack these two precision seals.

Most users don't check for the weeping of water. They just keep on working and making money without a thought about it. And this inventor was no different. I always have a back up so there is no down time or lost efficiency. It's called the cost of doing business. HP hoses don't last forever either and we've always got more than two or three on the truck.

Oh yes in case you do notice the weeping from the holes in the side of your swivel and want to rebuild. It's not that hard if you have instruction and the tools. (bench vise, metric allen wrench, open end wrench, medium set lock tight and rebuild kit) Without guidance you'll get frustrated or screw up the whole assembly. I'll be posting details if anyone is interested or PM me.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I took my last one apart but never bothered to fix it. It didn't have ceramic bearings just regular ones. I still have it. Post the directions, I'm curious if it's any different than I would do.

Reactions: dealtimeman

todg

Name
Michael Marcus
Its just better to buy a new swivel...$160-$180...Made in another country...If your buying for a lot cheaper, you bought the wrong swivel...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom