recommendations for a heat shield

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
the fresh water tank is a little too close to the kohler exhaust. Need to put up a heat shield to deflect the heat from warping the poly tank. Is there a heat shield that i could custom cut 2x2 that could withstand the blazing lava hot exhaust? Like to place next to the tank to keep it cool enough from the exhaust heat.

space is at a premium in the van so moving things around is not an option.

Name
Doug B
Check to make sure your exhaust gasket isn't compromised. My tank is warped and the lid looks like dripped wax on one side due to a blown exhaust gasket. The gasket was replaced, but the area still gets hot.
Your local HD should sell 2x2 ( and other size) metal sheets you could use. Bolt it to something solid with about an inch between the metal sheet and the side of the poly tank.

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
anyone ever attempted to repair a burn hole on the poly tank?
I could drill a hole into it and install a pvc bulk head fitting then screw a cap on and be done with it. The only problem is my arms are about 12” too short from the lid downward to insert the inner bulk head to screw onto the the second part. Any ideas on how to hold and insert the bulk head from inside the tank being 12” shy to hold it with my hands?
Does JiMmy have gorilla long arms or does he just look that way?

The burn hole is about 12”” up from the ground.

6742075B-3601-43C2-984F-4B6CBC676EFF.jpeg 2C1DE8EF-F10B-464B-9582-C889DC8EED9D.jpeg

Last edited:

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
If the tank is thick enough you could try to screw at patch on from the outside. Some stainless sheet metal screws would likely hold. Use a rubber gasket between the tank and patch.

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
got her done...sanded smooth the melted area...smoothed out the hole...so happened to be a 3/4 hole...installed a bulkhead fitting with a cap...tighten her up, DONE. Filled the tank...no leaks.
Ordered heat shield that Carl suggested....will be fitting it on tomorrow.

$3.49 fitting + $37 heat shield vs new tank....$41 fix won.

thanks for all the suggestions. much appreciated.

21D8B598-1F78-4D9C-93C3-2415C0FFA915.jpeg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom