recovery tank lint basket

most machines have them, mine catches most of the crap, i want one that catches all the crap. i was thinking to incorperate the stainless filter for the inline filter into the tank, right at the cuff. anyone try this?

Bob Foster

It might be a nice way to find a loose diamond but it might last an hour before you had a problem (even with prevacuuming). Not enought surface area to catch debris and not retard vacuum.

R

R W

I line the waste tank filter basket with the "panty" part of stockings. The leg parts go over my SS in tank filters. Makes it a whole lot easier to clean the filters.

I also use the in line vac hose filters.

Rex Tyus

Could someone please tell me what the pupose of filtering recovery water is?

Rex

1-take a look see at the bottom of your tank.

2- take it easy on the pumpout.

Mike Brummett

The primary purpose is protecting your blower.
But it also helps keep the inside of your waste tank clean and can keep crap from gumming up your pump-out system as well.

Keeping the basket clean also keeps crud from clogging up your secondary filters which are those spin on ones usually located at the top of your waste tank.

Keep the basket cleaned often and take those secondary filters off regularyly and hose them out thoroughly and you will get a lot more CFM and lift at the wand where it counts. Carpet dries faster, customer is happy.

NOW, to address the original question. Hosing out the basket can be kind of yucky, but so what?!

If you want to, you can get one of those clear plastic in line filters with the stainless screen inside. Use knee-high hose as a liner inside the screenand just change them often. (Box of 10 pair is about $5- that's 20 total)
You will lose a little suction, but if you want the basket to stay cleaner, this method works very well. You still have to hose out the screen regularly, but it does make the basket accumulate a lot less crud.

I guess if you have techs who are lazy, pulling the filled up knee-hi's out of the in-line filter and pitching them might be a bit easier. There is also the advantage of being able to see that it's full.

MIKE

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I have to filter my waste water to maintain a good status with the Bureau of Environmental Services

I run the pool filter with a nylon in the sock, I threw out the stainless filter

I seem to only have to clean out the lint basket and waste tank every 50 hours

Rex Tyus

My pump out has a screen of it's own. My "secondary" blower filters are positioned in a way crap gets no where near them unless I forget to turn on the pump out. I back flush the tank as needed. I still take the filters off DAILY and clean them.

But now I understand why someone would filter dirty water if they have a recovery tank that requires it. Thanks. It has truly been a mystery to me.

Rex

hogjowl

Idiot™
I noticed that my supplier stopped using the stainless basket filters in their waste tanks when I bought my second TM from them. Using a bag filter turned out to be much better than the basket filter. I recommend to anyone using a basket filter to throw it out and go with a bag filter.

Mikey P

Administrator
Personally,
I love not using any filter other then the blower protector "filter".
Never having to worry if it's clogged up or has a foam build up is great and the extra added suck is wonderful.

Got to love those Vortex waste tanks.

Now if only the would plumb it in 3"

3" would be good.....4'" would be even better! abs "Y" for dual wanding and 4" for single wanding aint gonna hurt any. on a newly buikt tank there would be just one hole, for smoother flowing air! i would stop at 4"....unless the real enthused running 2-2.5" . in which case a 5" would be a good answer

Greenie

The tank connection ain't got nothing on the hose run plumbing, if they would jsut come with 2.5" x 2 you would ahve all you ever needed, as long as you ran 2.5" hose (the most important part).

And remember your blower will run cooler with larger plumbing, so you could actually operate at a high lift setting.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Greenie;

Why would the blower run cooler??

Increasing the plumbing size will slightly increase the CFM.

Increased CFM with the same lift at the blower, will increase the exit temperature at the blower.

There are many air flow restrictions in the vacuum system.

These are the most important in order of importance when actually cleaning:

1. Carpet-Wand Interface -most restriction
2. Long 2" Hoses - substantial
3. Silencers - substantial to moderate
Depends on design path and corrosion effects
4. Heat Exchanger - moderate in good designs
5. Vac Tank & filter - moderate to slight with no baffles
6. Plumbing Fittings- slight

It's all about R & D.

Larry Cobb

Rex Tyus

Increasing the plumbing will provide a lower OPERATING lift at the same shaft rpm's and it will run cooler.
Greenie can debate the other with you. I am just telling what happens in the field.

Respectfully,

Rex

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Here's my solution, cost about 250CDN, the pail is aluminum, the screen is 1/4mm holed stainless. Nothin gets through. Its plumbed with 3" abs and one piece of 3" pvc. The truck is plumbed 3" right to the tank. There is no restriction in airflow until the stuff starts collecting on it, quickly rinsed off and go at it again.

In Victoria we are "required" by the local gov't to filter our recovered water by this size screen before dumping into the septic sewer system, which then goes straight to deep ocean. Gov'ts, go figure!

07-01-26Inspiration59001.jpg

07-01-26Inspiration59002.jpg

07-01-26Inspiration59012.jpg

Attachments

• 07-01-26Inspiration59001.jpg
    07-01-26Inspiration59001.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 07-01-26Inspiration59002.jpg
    07-01-26Inspiration59002.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 07-01-26Inspiration59012.jpg
    07-01-26Inspiration59012.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 172

Greenie

Larry, I'm not one of the smart guys, you'll have to query Forsythe on that one, I just know what I see, and come to my own conclusions, call it greenlogic. :)

About the worst thing you can do for the oil and grease seals of a blower is choke down the plumbing or create back pressure.
ie: bringing a 4" port to 2.5". restriction = heat, heat = premature failure.

A perfect example of this in use is a blower heat exchanger, back pressure = heat, back pressure plus restrictive plumbing is a double whammy, ain't a blower Mfg. in their right mind gonna warranty that.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Greenie;

If that logic was correct, then the Carpet-Wand Interface restriction would damage every TM blower.

It is equivalent to about 3/4" opening.

Larry Cobb

Greenie

Larry, we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

In a system I want full unrestricted airflow starting at the blower and continuinig as far down the line as possible, right to the carpet, then for a nano-second I will exchange airflow for lift and slot velocity and pull that moisture up through the rug and into the wand, then the larger dia. hose will be my friend all the way back to the tank.

Honestly, putting actual Performance aside, I would like to hear from a blower Mfg., their thoughts on taking a blower with a 4" port and reducing it down to 2" or 2.5", and how the warranty would hold up against that criteria?

Actually I think I will try to get their written policy on such a thing come monday, so we don't have to "wonder" any further.

Rex Tyus

Well said Greenie. It never ceases to amaze me how confused so many people are on the lift, CFM topic.

Back
Top Bottom