Red Clay removal

americlean

We have that wonderful "Red Virginia Clay" here and it can be a pain to get out of carpets.

I did a job yesterday with a large stain where the dog laid all the time on the olefin carpet. It came up 75% but I could not get all the orange out. I asume it was the combination of the clay with the oils in the dogs coat that set the stain.

Any thoughts on how to combat this?

Thanks Guys...

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
John;

Red clay can be difficult.

You need a good suspending builder. I would use a powder with a good polyphosphate builder.

Larry Cobb

Greg Loe

olefin and oil? White carpet? now yellow carpet. You might can get it better using different products but it probably will always have a yellow tint.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I agree with Larry. You need a crystalviolate suspension builder with a polyphospate blocking agent.

Hope this helps as much as Larrys did.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
When I lived in South Carolina they had locals who would eat that red clay.

But thats just another reason why they didn't evolve from chucking spears.

Rex Tyus

LMAO! @ the Admiral. I was thinking the same thing.

Larry this is Mikey's Board. If you have a solution in stock you can say so. LOL.

I have never cleaned in Virginia. But, AL, GA, and FL all have red clay. Any good hot(as in ph) prespray followed with an acid rinse has always served me well.

Noidios

Name
Russ Zinck
I have this same problem in my own home in SC. Lots of landscaping and lots of dirty clay tracked in OVER and OVER. I prespray with Grand Slam, then use 500psi with a very slow wet stroke and 3 dry passes and it's gone.

Noidios

Name
Russ Zinck
ODIN said:
In SC do they also call it Virgina red clay

T

It wasn't that funny of a joke the first time Odin, but if you must know, I had my entire yard trucked in from VA, so even if I am in SC, I am actually tracking in VA red clay.

TimP

Grits and boiled peanuts are nasty!!! I'm probably one of the few that live in the south and wont touch the mess.

Name
Lee Stockwell
To follow conventional wisdom that rust remover wouldn't actually remove the clay pigments....it would just make them "invisible" or transparent.

:-)
Lee

PS Let me know how this experiment works out.

PPS Don't do it.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
welp, I ain't the smartest CCer on this thread...

and our clay up here is just plain ole brown clay

BUT..clay is dirt ain't it?

no one mentioned a good thorough vaccing first before you emulsify the clay and make a nice soupy mud slurry?????

..L.T.A.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Only on the bulletin board.

Ours down here cleans out pretty well with normal cleaning agents.

The only "trick" is you need to lower your water temperature.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Pre-vacuum is important on clay.

Use a prespray with ingredients designed to work on very small particles. These can be removed by lubrication and suspension and/or raw materials that counteract the electric forces at work between small particles and the carpet fibers.

For a specific prespray - Traffic Slam. For spots Filter Out. If color still remains, you can try Jeff's idea of rust remover.

Scott Warrington

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
A couple of things, olefin LOVES oil and as mentioned above can leave a yellowish mark.

Olefin is derived from the petroleum industry and so oil BONDS to it like the baby poo to the blanket.

A good test on a small area with a VDS wiped over it will soon let you know if it can be improved. Or even a good degreaser mixed into a hot solution and scrubbed well and rinsed...? Test first so that you're not wasting your time.

As to the red clay, I know some of the guys in Aussie where they have red dirt are getting great results using ... wait for it... Releasit DS as a prespray in a HWE situation.

I'd go back and do a small test with Releasit DS at normal or slightly higher dilution ratio and scrub well then flush well at high flow but low pressure and see how it goes.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom