Regular synthetic or Royal Purple on my new Isuzu?

Mikey P

Administrator
I ran Royal Purple in my UD and went 15 K every change..

I think I'll baby the AT and stick with 10K intervals now that I found a joint that can do it in under an hour..

in your opinion is the extra coin worth it on the synthetic ($100 for 12 quarts)

Last edited:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
well there are 2 trains of thought...ok maybe more...but 2 main thoughts...

no synthetic till x amount of mileage...as you need to allow your rings to set in....

or

no need for syn, if your are keeping up on it anyway...

oh but wait....does your new rig have an hr meter for the motor??? because even at 10k, how many hrs more is that on it??

forgot about the pto part....so maybe stick with syn on like the 3rd change....

or ask the oil guy:lol:

Mikey P

Administrator
How are you going to letter it?

can you stay on topic please..

Im thinking of re wrapping both at the same time...

Shall we have a contest here?

20130912_103820_zps6fe52910.jpg

Total_Rookie

Name
Joseph Torrez
I'm thinking amsoil would make a great sponsor. We carpet cleaners take pride in our fleets performing their best. ;)

Becker

Name
Becker
15k miles. Plus those hrs?

Dang. I just run plain old Synthetic in my cars trucks and vans. 4-5k is when I change.

I don't own a van powered machine.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ahhh there that was what i was wondering to....

yea kick it back to 10....

whats funny is on my cummins, we do it at 5k and the fuel filter at 10....

why on that big one are they going longer???

Name
George Valliant
I'm in the process of switching my entire 6 vehicle fleet over to Amzoil.

It's about half the price of Royal Purple and i think they invented synthetic oil for NASA or something like that about 100 years ago.

amsoil-dealer-opportunities.jpg

they even sell the Full Ash European Full Synthetic motor oil the manufacturer recommends for my Mercedes Sprinters.

A few of the harley mechanics i spoke with swear by it too.

if you decide to buy some from their website us my Authorized Preferred Customer # 5198502 as a referral source and i get a free pint of diesel fuel additive or something cool like that. :rockon:

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
IMHO - Synthetic and Dino oils as purchased are the same viscosity with very similar properties and do the same job.

The advantage of synthetic oil is that the viscosity does not brake down as quickly as Dino oil. This allows you longer intervals between oil changes.

Contaminates and particulates are introduced to your engines oil merely by use. So if you change your Synthetic oil at a 15,000 mile interval, it has 5 x the suspended contaminates (dirty black oil) as one who changes the dino oil at 3000 mile intervals.

I can not stand seeing my oil dirty, I run dino oil and change it more often.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Like the hundreds of brands of protectant that are Teflon, I suspect that the difference between brands of full-synthetic oil is mostly marketing.

If you're using full-synthetic there are no engine killing pollutants in the oil and no additives are needed to protect the engine from those pollutants, so no additives to burn away and allow the oil to kill the engine. Full synthetic oil never needs changing. The only thing you need to do is filter the combustion byproducts out by changing your oil filters. Use good ones.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
can you stay on topic please..

Im thinking of re wrapping both at the same time...

Shall we have a contest here?

20130912_103820_zps6fe52910.jpg
Sorry I have trouble staying on topic. :icon_redface:
It's not my fault it's like cable TV even 30-seconds or so a message scrolls across my brain that distracts me... "Hot Naked Women" and I after that I completely lose my train of thought.

J/K................................................ it's actually closer to every 15-seconds. :winky:

I wazzz just wondering what you were going to do, but yes start another thread explaining your plan for the new and the old trucks. Are doing the new to match the old. Both with a new design or one old one new?
Inquiring minds want to know! :p

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Like the hundreds of brands of protectant that are Teflon, I suspect that the difference between brands of full-synthetic oil is mostly marketing.

If you're using full-synthetic there are no engine killing pollutants in the oil and no additives are needed to protect the engine from those pollutants, so no additives to burn away and allow the oil to kill the engine. Full synthetic oil never needs changing. The only thing you need to do is filter the combustion byproducts out by changing your oil filters. Use good ones.

How long have y'all been doing that?

No failures?

rhyde

Name
rhyde

There is a high micron filter system that is supposed to filter out all the impurities so you can drive for extended periods of time
How do you think that's going to work with your new truck warranty if something happens ?

I run a blend 1/3 synthetic 2/3 Valvoline

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
I think Royal Purple is worth the extra. I have a friend who is in whole sale oil delivery and he told me there are two synthetics head and shoulders above the rest. Royal Purple and another one I cant remember.

Ive noticed significant exhaust noise reduction since running RP.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by The Great OzLike the hundreds of brands of protectant that are Teflon, I suspect that the difference between brands of full-synthetic oil is mostly marketing.

How long have y'all been doing that?

No failures?

No failures.

Long haul truckers are now running the same Mobil 1 synthetic oil for 300,000 miles with only filtration. I'm not comfortable with never changing the oil, so we change it annually. We do use a remote filter mount so we can use a larger filter than the stock peanut-sized ones and we change those monthly.

Thanks for bringing the thread back. I didn't realize there were questions I hadn't answered.

PS: We've been doing this since the mid-nineties.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Bryan;

Are you still having the oil tested at regular intervals ?

I like Valvoline Synthetic after break-in (15K should be fine).

I like Valvoline Racing oil for conventional oil, because it still contains a full package of additives (zinc + others).

Regular motor oil has cut back on additives to spare catalytic convertors.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom