Removing and reinstalling grout

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
I have a client in an older home that was just remodeled. She kept the old slate floor in the foyer and wanted it cleaned and enhanced. When we stripped the finish off it revealed that the grout was extremely blotchy and would need color sealing or need total replacement. We don't color seal or replace grout. I worry about color seal looking too perfect on slate. And I think I want to recommend to her to replace the grout.

I want to know if any of you replace grout or know who I could refer her to, to get it done. I know they make a grout removal tool that is supposed to do a great job without much dust (2 side by side diamond blades that saw it out).

The subfloor seems to be in great shape, no stress cracks or tell tale signs of settling. And she really wants to keep the slate or replace it with same thing.

Mikey P

Administrator
Its a horrible job that no one in their right minds would take.

Grout tools of any sort are going to leave a mark or 40 on the slate..

Name
cameron demille
Removing grout on slate is not a good idea. The slate isn't much harder than the grout, it would be hard to keep the blade from jumping over or going through the edges. Colorsealing would also be a potential issue due to the soft, textured surface of the slate. It would be very difficult to efficiently move across the floor

GTFO of that house

You are the first real life Chet I have come across since I started reading the Hardy Boys when I was a kid.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Removing grout on slate is not a good idea. The slate isn't much harder than the grout, it would be hard to keep the blade from jumping over or going through the edges. Colorsealing would also be a potential issue due to the soft, textured surface of the slate. It would be very difficult to efficiently move across the floor

GTFO of that house

You are the first real life Chet I have come across since I started reading the Hardy Boys when I was a kid.

Chet Morton! Used to love me some Hardy Boys.

Mikey P

Administrator
Ive had a very frustrating week dealing with clueless homeowners and thier 40 year old rotten grout issues.

Free estimates and cleaning tile fur carpet rates is for the birds.

Those of you just venturing into this service would be well advised to charge as much as the market bear for cleaning and sealing.

The time youll be wasting on estimates and coating stripping severely eats into profits.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
We've built a very successful business in a very competitive market by consulting with our clients and trying to give them the best advice possible. I know some of what I ask is stuff everyone else wants to run away from, but I like challenges especially when I can find a solution that works for them. This original question is not something we would do but I was questioning whether there was a service available to perform this type of service and how successful it can be, not only for this client but for future clients that have the same needs.
This client wants to keep some of the original homes charm, while she can afford to rip everything out and install new, she would rather come up with a solution that saves her original slate but gives the grout a more uniform natural look.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
I've seen it done on a job where I turned down removing and regrouting a slate patio but landed the travertine clean part of the project. They hired a tile guy that was working on it the same day I was there cleaning. He had a Makita 9227c with some type of metal saw attached and a Grout Getter, he was going to town, making major dust all over the place, didn't matter since he was outside though. Alpha has some kind of grout remover that has a bag attached to collect dust I saw years ago.

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
I looked on line and found some tools that look like they would do a great job. Now I just have to find someone that does it and has the tools.

D Rice

Name
Doug Rice
I have used a diamond grit cutter on a Fein Multimaster tool to remove and re do a straight grout line that had been cracked from the floor settling. It worked very good and
I repaired 35 ft of grout in a couple of hours. It was one big long joint crossing the room. I'm sure any multi toool would do a similar job.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom