Removing and reinstalling vinyl base trim

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I have an empty apt. with a level loop carpet over pad that needs to be restretched. It has been installed up to the drywall and then the flexible vinyl base trim is glued to the wall. It sets on top of the carpet. I will need to remove quite a bit of it in order to pull up the carpet , stretch, install and cut off excess. Any tips on how to remove the trim without tearing up the walls? Will I be able to reuse the trim?

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
If you can pry it out of the cove base you should be fine. I could take a hand fork or awl and pry . .Stretch it up cut it down .Use a awl to get under the lip.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Harry, Are saying to leave the base trim in place? I could probably pry the carpet up, but the trim is very tight to the carpet. Reinstalling the would be a problem and I don't see how I could use my trimmer with it in place.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Shane can you cut free hand . Use the lip of the base as your guide. Cut aprox 3/16 to a quarter more take the awl under the rubber lip and the carpet should fall right under . Did it many times to avoid what you are speaking about.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom