Removing Carpet Adhesive from Hardwood?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
One of the property managers I work for wants me to refinish the hardwood in a small hallway. I have no idea why anyone would install carpet over hardwood. It’s bad enough filling holes from trackless strips but this had glue down carpet. What should I use to remove the carpet adhesive?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Thanks. Anything I could pick up Locally? I need to do this Monday. I am guessing it needs to be solvent based to not damage the hardwood.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Distance from 66044: 20.73 miles.
Decorative Concrete Supply Inc.
8329 Monticello Rd Ste E
Lenexa, Kansas 66227

Information:
913-422-4443 (Office)
trina@murraydecorative.com
www.murraydecorative.com

Products Available:
Products Available:
Soy Gel Paint Stripper: 1 Gallon, 5 gallon
Bean-e-doo Mastic Remover: 1 Gallon, 5 Gallon

These guys would carry the franmar products and are about 20 miles from you look like.

Otherwise you may give this a try:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... toreFinder

I don't have any previous experience with the homedepot stuff.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Would a floor stripper move the adhesive as well? Combined w/ a white/red pad on a 175?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I’ll take a pic tomorrow and will have a better idea of what kind of adhesive was used. I’m sure there are lots of products that will work but I can’t be saturating the wood with a water based product. If I’m lucky it’s brittle and can be scraped up.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I have never seen double glue down installation on residential carpet before. I talked the customer into letting me install new carpet in the hall. They are renting the house for 6 mos then putting it on the market. That will be February and I’ll have some time to pull the rest of the carpet in the bedrooms and refinish all of it.

101_0690.jpg

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :shock: :shock: I think the word is... icky!! Yeah can't say I've seen very many double glues in residentials or rentals at all.

SFC

I sanded the one that I did. Worked well. I used an OP maching (rented home depot) 25 grit and about 3 peices of it to get the crud off. The followed the NWFA procedures to sand the rest to wood. Scraper and edger to get the lower spot and edges. Test it first. Took about an hour. Wear a mask. It seems to me that chemicals would just make it gooey and sloppy. I would rather change it to dust and vacuum.

TimP

That's not just carpet glue that's pad glue. I think it has more solvents than regular CGD glue. A different animal for sure. Most likely you'll need to sand it. But it don't hurt to try a test area with the miricle remover's above.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom