removing color sealer on black grout

Welshmalc

Name
Malcolm
Just did test on large condo interior entrance, underneath dirt ,beige sealer, wearing away but not easy to remove. My question could I add another sealer,similar color or will I need to persevere in trying to remove old sealer . Underneath sealer grout black. ?

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
I would clean aggressively to see what sealer breaks down. Then seal over it. Removing all the weak sealer will keep that from peeling. The sealer that stood up to the cleaning probably wont peal.

Disclaim the heck out of it. Without knowing the brand of the original color sealer you can't be certain and new sealer will bond to it. The color of the old sealer to the new sealer may not match ect.

I have done them this way and got decent results, but I set the expectation correctly.

I am interested to see what others think.

Reactions: Welshmalc

todg

Name
Michael Marcus
Pirahana makes a "paint dissolver" product that you can carefully put on the grout lines to help dissolve the color sealer...I am sure someone could go grout line by grout line to do it, not me...LOL

If all else fails, scrap the top of the grout with a "perforated" edge tool...(At this point the price would be off the hook from me) LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom