removing drum fan on air movers???

steve g

Name
steve garrett
does anyone know how to remove the louvered drum on an air mover, I have couple air movers that work fine but need new squirrel fans, these appear to be pressed on, do you have to use some sort of puller

John Watson

When I used to build them at Dri-Eaz, They slid on the shaft and are held in place with an allen head set screw.

Greenie

funny you should post that, I just stripped a DriEaz HP with the 1hp yesterday, a shot of lube on the shaft, loosen the set screw and "tap" the cage off from the OTHER SIDE....don't try and pry or PULL it off the shaft.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
isn't the motor riveted in the drum has to come off first before you can get the motor out right?? what part are you guys wacking on?? also if a motor goes out is there an economical way of rebuilding or replacing the motor??

Greenie

Yes the motor "clamp" is held on by rivets, but you don't need to touch that for a squirrel cage replacement, there is room to access the cage from the motor side, just use a looong punch or rod and lightly "tap" the cage off the lubricated shaft, use gravity to your advantage and place airmover squirrel cage side down and work from top down, not sideways.

Should airmover maint. be under TM repair....lol

steve g

Name
steve garrett
you guys are full of it on a little tapping removing it, I had a drieaz the one with the bone on the top for a handle and cord wrap on the back, this one had a plastic drum that had a few leauvers missing and caused a heavy vibration. I tried tapping all sorts of stuff, I used a ball joint pickel fork to stick down and contact the drum from the motor side to no avail, I ended up using a sawsall and cut the plastic spokes out of the drum, got it out of there and then the whole motor, now with the motor out I used all manner of beating, at this point I was so pissed I was ready to F something up, its a wonder I didn't beat the shaft out of it, NOTHING would budge it, finally I busted off all the plastic around the metal part that fit to the shaft, then I took a sawsall and cut this metal part lengthwise to relieve some pressure, even with a split down it, I still had to use a big ass hammer to get it off, infact it would not slide back on without some sort of press, good hell. I don't think drieaz wants these to be able to be fixed, I am surprised the shaft thrust bearings are not f'd up, on chance of finding a new motor for these??

Greenie

plastic drum?

holy hell man....I would have thrown it off a cliff by now.

Now you got all the dudes that care about servicing their equip. thinking about some Preventative maint, cause a little shaft grease and an air compressor blow out once in awhile probably would have made this thread non-existent.

btw: I'm not full of it personally, at least not this week, that is exactly how I did the last one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom