Removing paint from paver flooring?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I have an estimate Monday to refinish “Mexican Pavers”flooring that has apparently been painted with 2-3 coats of acrylic paint. I hope to be able to test a couple stripper solutionson a small section and maybe see what the hard surface and high heat willdo. I have no misconceptions about thisbeing an easy job. The customer soundedmotivated to get something done and has ruled out replacement. Has anyone ever taken on a job likethis? Any suggestions other than to bidhigh?

Name
cameron demille
I do these. I hate them. I hate my life when I do them.

Methylene Chloride is what I normally use, Jasco Paint Stripper from HD. Or Aquamix Sealer and Coating remover.

It's a horrible job, I wouldn't recommend doing your first one alone. Have someone with experience help you.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I doubt there is anyone local that has done this type of jobbefore. Paver tiles is not a commonfloor covering in the Midwest.
What kind of machine, pad/ brush are you using foragitation? Will Methylene chloride VOCkill my customer?

Name
cameron demille
Methylene chloride is no joke. You have to wear latex (thick) gloves, not neoprene or anything else. You can't breathe it, you need a full face, cartridge respirator. It will strip within a minute, it dries out fast too. It depends on what's down there it doesnt work the same on everything.

What I do is coat one tile, wait a minute, wipe the tile with a towel (white teri cloth), then throw the towel away. Every single tile is done this way, this is why these jobs suck.
You have to be careful with pavers, scrubbing them can damage them. They are compressed clay. You must re-seal afterwards too.

Pictures would help.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
getting it out of the grout sucks as well...AfterWash by Kleen Rite helps to remove additional residue after the meth...Cameron is spot on when stressing the respirator and gloves...that stuff is no joke when it comes to your health and skin

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I will try to post pictures Monday after the estimate. How much Methylene Chloride would it take to strip 400 Sq. Ft?

Name
cameron demille
I will try to post pictures Monday after the estimate. How much Methylene Chloride would it take to strip 400 Sq. Ft?

I would honestly start with a sample. Charge for the sample. This way you can try a few different things to know exactly what you need to do so you don't lose time or money trying to figure it out.

The MC I use is Jasco paint stripper from Home Depot. It's expensive and will add up. You need to charge accordingly.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
It ended up being 12" terracotta tile with a factory baked on ceramic? The original finish wasscratched and pealing so the customer painstakingly painted every tile whichalso began to scratch after a couple of years. I tested different solvents for a while and quickly found there was noway of removing the factory “finish” Sorry, no pic forgot the memory card for the camera. SORRY LADY, NO THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom