Removing Residues from Hardwood

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
What methods are any of you using to removing residues from paste wax, Mop N Glo, Orange Glo, Murphy's Oil Soap, etc?

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Jim, I have resorted to using VCT stripper, doing three applications. Then the (water based) finish still fisheyed in spots, so I let it dry and cut it back with acetone.

Any recurring fisheyes I hand scrubbed with fine screen paper, then wiped with acetone, spot coated and it all sort of blended in the subsequent coat. I have no idea if this was all the way to do thigs, but used what I had on the van and got lucky.

Doug Rice

Supportive Member
I also strip it with a commercial floor stripper, nothing else will touch it. One of the experts on here had an explanation about how the polymer links in commercial finish work and an explanation of Orange Glow etc. are a much different type of product. Tell the customer you can't guarantee anything but the floors I've worked on came out OK. Charge out the ying-yang as it's nasty work in a residential setting.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Dangerous place to blindly charge in without knowing:

1. What KIND of wood?

2. What KIND of construction?

3. What original/added FINISH?

I've got a scheduled project with 5k' of engineered distressed hickory fused hardwood, with UV cured metal linked urethane coating. Exotic, beautiful floor!

However, someone used Mop-n-glo or such on it.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton
Name
Lee Stockwell
Job was a 2hr drive from me so I found a box with spare planks and asked to take one for research, as well as contacting Armstrong.

This lodge sits in the middle of 5500 wooded acres, unique for KY.

It's not a job to screw up.

Name
Scott Turknett
IMG_4057.JPG

Hydroforce HD wood floor cleaner, crb, extract w/ gekko

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom