Removing tile paint from grout

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So I got a call today to do a estimate for a hotel. Wood looking tile. Has been color sealed and painted a different color. The grout is supposed to be brown but I could only find black underneath. Even after putting acid on it.

Is there any way to remove color seal with out stain solve. A few thousand sf. They want to correct what the last owners form India did. Paint the grout so it looks clean for inspection.

Is this one big can of worms?

Thank You

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
No kind of floor stripper will work. This is in a hotel lobby. 2000 sf. I'm going to need a 55 gallon drum.
What would you charge to remove per sf?

Tubmaster

Name
Gary Reed
Is the grout the only thing wrong with the floor? I cant tell if your saying the whole floor has been painted or not. If it's just the wrong color, just re-color it. If there is a tile paint over the color seal, test some kleen strip liquid (sander, de-glosser) on grout only. Neutralize then see if Color Clad will bond. Test to be sure it doesn't have a reaction to the surrounding tile. Worth a shot verses the alternatives....>$10 a quart

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
just the grout is colored. Has color seal on all of it and then they painted some of the grout to pass inspection. New owner wants it all gone and cleaned. Not sure if it's possible.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
If acetone doesn't work then apply Jasco paint stripper on the groutlines with a paintbrush, let dwell for over 10 minutes, scrub, wipe with rags then rinse residue with Afterwash or acetone. Let customer know that painte stripper is strong smelling, make sure you ventilate entire area, wear a respirator and gloves. If they don't agree, then walk.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I had this exact scenario happen at a friends house with just a kitchen and I gave up on it. Tried everything suggested above and nothing was making it budge. I'm sure there must be some answer for it but we washed our hands of it and it sounds like you might want to do the same

Mikey P

Administrator
I'd rather eat led paint than work with Jasco.

Soy Gel stripper should do the job, albeit slower.

Slop it down thick and come back in 12 hours and slurp it up with a shop vac then a truckmount/spinner tool.

Charge a small fortune.

You may need to do it twice.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Its a hotel lobby so I can't have stuff down for 12 hours. I think I'm going to have to test cleaning with the tm. I played with stain solve and it took some of it off. Have to go back and play. I'm wondering if any one else has even given them a bid. He was looking for 3 estimates

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
Yeah that's the dilemma with stripping either deal with fumes or long waiting like Mike said with the Soy Gel, Soy Gel smells as well, just not as bad as MEK

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom