Removing vinyl from van?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I'll take the wheel any day. It even removes the adhesive residue left behind by the heat gun method. The only thing left to do after is sweep and give it a quick wipe down with any of the things mentioned. Like I said Carb Cleaner worked well for me.

I would recommend using a corded drill as I was going through my 2 (brand new Dewalt) batteries pretty quick.

I stopped by the local sign shop and one guy said it would probably take him 4-5 hours to remove it. Well...it took me about 2 and I had never done it before.

Like in a lot of cases, I'm glad I just dove in and figured it out. I did get hosed on the wheel from O'reilley though. I'll spend $22 on amazon next time.

The Clean Machine

mahlonzehr

So will this : )

th

Haven't tried it but I'll take your word for it. I just did a quick google and Rapid Remover was what the pros claimed worked better than anything else.

So I bought it and it worked. If you're happy, I'm tickled to death...

Reactions: GCCLee

Becker

Name
Becker
I had to remove a bit of lettering today.

Was going to use the heat gun like I have used many times before, however today I was pressure washing off some tree crap happens every spring. Damn trees.
So I thought what the heck, maybe I can pressure wash it off. Sure as shit. Held the jet at an angle so the spray can get under the lettering. Peeled right off. Did like 20 3 inch high letters in no time. Remaining adhesive came quickly off with brake cleaner. Had to hold the jet right at the edge of the lettering, was not even a real high powered pressure washer, some 5hp I bought from costco years ago. Letter was 5 years old.

C&S

Name
Scott
Let the lettering get hot in the sun, then Peel an edge with a fingernail and it will peel right off, goo gone or gum gel takes the adhesive off, then wash. Once washed clay bar it or have it buffed to remove the fade that happens. So it looks all nice and new again. Then use a paint sealer, then wax. Then get your new graphics put on.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Name
I'm Rick James
I would only use a heat gun if its cold outside.. I just removed the lettering from my van and first tried the heat gun and it made things worse by leaving more adhesive under the letters.. made cleaning much harder. Luckily I only did that for two letters and quit.

I just used my campling fish fillet knife to get under one little piece of the lettering and just lifted it off. There was adhesive residue from around the letters.. so.. with it getting close to dark and not wanting to go to walmart because all the pajama people start showing up.. you know the weird crazy ones.. so I just used charcoal lighter fluid and a slow speed buffer, so in all it took me about 1 1/2 hours.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Let the lettering get hot in the sun, then Peel an edge with a fingernail and it will peel right off, goo gone or gum gel takes the adhesive off, then wash. Once washed clay bar it or have it buffed to remove the fade that happens. So it looks all nice and new again. Then use a paint sealer, then wax. Then get your new graphics put on.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Exactly what we did! Here's the new wrap
da4etaqa.jpg

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom