Repair on copper heat exchanger coil?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I just picked up a used WM Rebel. The only issue it has was one heat exchanger shells was rusted out. WM sent me a new outer shell. I tested the coil and it held 1000 psi with no leaks. I took the EH to the wielder down the street and told him what I needed. I told him not to cut too deep because the coil was just under the shell. Guess what? The SOB calls and said he cut into the coil. A new HE is $1350. Can I expect any kind of soldering to hold for long? Any other repair options? I can’t buy a new one right now.

C

Chris Sheldon

I would have the Welder fix it or pay for a replacement. When I do damage to a customers equipment, I take care of it immediately.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I’ve have been pissed off about this all day. The wielder said he was going to take it to his plumber friend to take a look at and see if it could be soldered. Should I get it back from him or let his plumber friend mess around with it? I don’t want to go through all this trouble and have the thing leak after a few weeks.

Foock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just called the guy and he soldered with Rosin rod? Then he gave it to one of my competitors to pressure test.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
So, I end up calling the other cleaner who has my HE and tell him I want it back and not to give it to the hack wielder. I want to make sure the core is good before its all wielded back and have lost all confidence in the wielder. I have no idea why he gave it to the other cleaner to test when I’m right down the street. The cleaner calls wielder, wielder calls me, we argue. Short story is I now have to pay $100.00 to get my parts back since I “Got all pissy about it”. Sometimes there no winning, just degrees of losing. I guess I’ll pay the man and take it somewhere else to be wielded.

C

Chris Sheldon

Yeah, I don't know if I would trust the plumber to solder it up because they don't generally deal with the types of pressures that truckmounts generate.

It sucks that you have to pay that POS welder for the priveledge of breaking your stuff. Next time look for a Fabrication Shop instead of just a Welding Shop; they tend to be more meticulous and professional.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
talk to experienced guys (that know about the soldering) about whether it will hold up.
It might take the pressure but only for so long. Make sure its done right. Last thing you want is to be half way through a job and water pouring out of your truck

gasaxe

have a lawyer wright him a nice little letter suggesting he purchase a NEW coil and return the shell and coil to you in a given time frame or will see him in court.

gasaxe

if you are in a bind i might can help you out with a heat exchanger. I have a couple laying around. I wouldnt let this guy screw you over. He is hopeing you will just go away.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Brian,

Thanks for the offer of help. I appreciate the way guys on the from go out of their way to help someone they have never meet just because they have been in the same situation at one point. The Rebel will be a back up, so there is no urgency yet. My wife took it upon herself to go talk to the guy, which provoked another argument between me and him today. The latest terms are to get my parts back are: $50.00 for his time and a signed waver of labiality. I think the guy honestly feel like I was trying to set him up. He says anyone would have cut into that coil and I am just trying to get something for nothing. This guy is a hack with no since of customer service. I should sue the SOB but, Monday I will see him pay him whatever he feels is far sign whatever and kill him with kindness. The guy is my neighbor and he was trying to help even though he is a dumb hack. He claims the repair he made with brass will hold better then silver. I’ll get it back and go on. Dealing with ignorant SOBs gets my blood pressure up and someone is going to get hurt if the drama drags on.

minuteman

If he cut it at the top of the coils you can stretch it out to make your connections you may louse a few coils but its a quick & easy fix.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
That dumb SOB cut 1/3 of the coils, then trying to fix it he sand blasted to see what the factory used to solder the connections. He saw the brass fitting and used brass solder not silver. I paid the guy $100.00 and took it somewhere else to have the shell welded on. I might just have to buy a new one. The machine has 2 heat exchangers so I plan on setting it up so I can quickly bypass that one if it blows out on a job.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
The repair shop said it's done. It will be another two weeks before I have time to get it installed and go through the rest of the machine. I have $425.00 in that HE. I hope it works.

minuteman

Glad to see you got it fixed, hope it works out for U. Not such a bad price 1/3 of a new one.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Well, I went to pick it up and they overlooked a hole on one side and where it was spot welded for 20" or so. They called said that was fixed sent a friend to pick it up. Whent to paint it and the missed about 3" where the shell meets one side. I slapped some JB weld on that. Do you think JB Weld will hold, its rated up to 500 F? I now have about $650 in the thing. I wish I would have send it it Jhons custom HE.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom