Replace a Fuel Pump on a Kohler 25?

Jerry

Supportive Member
Has anyone ever replaced a fuel pump on a Kohler 25?
Last job of the day my TM shuts down partway through cleaning. It was full of oil, gas OK no fuses broke. It will turn over but not start. I finish with my OP, and pick a new fuel filter on my way home. I change it out, and there is no fuel getting to the engine, not a drop in the filter. I cranked several times, no go.
Does this sound like a fuel pump? Do they go out, just like that? The machine has 1025 hours on it. Anything I am missing? Where is the fuel pump located? PITA to change out?
Of course I'm slammed all weekend! DOH!
Thanks for any help!
Jerry

Becker

Name
Becker
fuel pump should be located on the frame rail under the van.. 15 mins and you are done.

Check the connections at the pump.

a pump might last 50 hours or 5000.

Look for the pump were the tap at the tank starts, follow the hose to the TM. It will be located between the tank and the machine.

Jerry

Supportive Member
Really,
Here I have been looking all over the engine of the TM!, I will check that out!Thanks! I'm such an idiot!
Jerry

Becker

Name
Becker
I think a new pump will set ya back about $25.00.. it has been awhile since I had to replace mine. I might be on the 5000 hr pump now.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
follow the black fuel line where you installed the fuel filter.
It will take you to the pump.
No biggie to change, unless it's in a gawd awful spot to get to.
When you turn the key on, you should be able to hear it run.

If not, check for lose or broken wires first, before you spend a $30 dollar bill at NAPA for an electric fuel pump.
(which is just a generic 12vt elec fuel pump.
It will probably be in a bubble pack hanging on a shelf.
(that's where they're at at my local NAPA

..L.T.A

Jerry

Supportive Member
OK, guys, I just went out and checked undernieth the van. The fuel line is tapped into the vans gas tank. It goes up to a metal connection through the floor. and then it goes directly to the filter/ engine. Could it be a pump inside the gas tank, I hope not. I will probably have to call the installer tommarow to find out where the hell it is!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
PS, i was having vapor lock problems from heat and replaced the pump.
The next long hot day, she started acting up again.

I had to relocate the fuel pump to a new location.
That cured the issue.
That may not be your troubles.
Just giving you a heads up in case she starts giving probs shortly after you install a new pump.

They don't squirt a heck of a lot of pressure either.
4 psi is it

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
no square or round little box with a red, black and green wire on it?
(about the size of an in-line fuel filter)

If not, I give up

..L.T.A.

Jerry

Supportive Member
I went back out, and the only thing I could remotely see is a little round box like thing mounted to the carb and it has a little red wire attached to it. If that is it, it is going to be a pain in the ass to change.
Thanks guys for all your help.

Becker

Name
Becker
Maybe they never put a fuel pump on your machine. I had that happen with my 1st TM..

The pump will be about the 1.5"x3 inches. hose going in, hose coming out. 2 wires.

It will be on the outside of the tank.

Becker

Name
Becker
This is what you are looking for.

fac.jpg

Attachments

• fac.jpg
    fac.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 259

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Do you really need one. How about putting in a simple squeeze bulb (the same as for your outboard motor) just to prime it for starting.

roro

Rick W

most of the kohlers I've seen have a mechanical fuel pump it is located on the left side on the top of the motor under a square cap where you put your oil in. If that is where your fuel line runs into just remove the four bolts and the cap lifts right off. I've changed mine three times.

Rick

marko

www.kohlerengines.com
You can download manual in pdf version.
Thats a hell of good idea using a setup using a inline sqeeze bulb as found on boats with outboard motors. thnx........

Jerry

Supportive Member
Hey Rick,
The fuel line does go into a small box right where the oil gets filled.I will check that out this morning and get it changed, Thanks!
Jerry

G

Jerry , I am guessing you have an acs machine . If you do the fuel pump is most likely square . Located on the blue rail by the fuel filter . when purchasing a new one get a fuel pump universal psi 1 to 4 pounds. Do not get the one 5 to 9 pounds. Aslo check your wiring , or see if the feul hose got caught under something. if it is not an acs , still use the same advice.
ps fuel pump are now around 40.00

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
While you are at it, check your fuel lines for cracks. Thought my fuel pump was going out a few weeks ago. Replaced the fuel line from the engine to the pump and all is well. Fuel line had cracks in it and stalling the machine.

Jerry

Supportive Member
Thanks to all who replied. I found out today that this fuel pump is hard to find locally. I had to order it from a distributor out of Minneapolis, and have it overnighted, should be here tomarrow. I also found out that the only way i comes is with it mounted with the valve cover and all. Four bolts and it should be good to go. I will probably get a spare to keep on the truck so I don't have to use my portable as a back up again( that sucks!) Anyway $78.00 part and $25.00 shipping I should be up and running.
Thanks again all...
Jerry

Name
Lee Stockwell
arghhhh!!! they sold you the wrong pump!!

The valve cover mounted Kohler pump is fine for power equipment, but wimpy for pulling gas up from the van's fuel tank instead of pushing from below like most TM's need. It will perform poorly with long fuel lines and vapor-lock prone hot weather conditions.

I promise just about every AutoZone, Advance Auto, Oreilly's, NAPA, Pep Boys, or local parts supplier has the pump pictured earlier in this thread....for about $40.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Lee...

AutoZone doesn't carry that Facet pump... or one that looks like it.

Advance Auto parts carries a P.O.S. made by, "Mr. Gasket", that has a failure rate of about 33.3%, based upon personal experience.

PepBoys doesn't carry it... at least not the one near me. (I'm not a big Pep Boys fan, anyway...)

NAPA carries it... for $40 to $50, depending upon what store you're in that day, it seems. (Some stores charge more for the lower PSI version, for some reason...) It's made by Facet, but it's black resin... not metallic.

Luckily, I haven't found the need to use any external fuel pump in going on 2 or more years now (I forgot how long ago at the moment...). The Kohler one does fine, if you use 5/16" fuel hose and hose barbs... at least at the lengths I set it up for, which is about 7 feet total, as close as I can educated guesstimate here at the computer.

Becker

Name
Becker
Get a pump Like I showed you in the pic..

As I recall if the van is fuel injected you need an electric fuel pump.

I had a Kohler 25hp.. The goofy guys installed it without a fuel pump. That lasted about a week.

Name
Lee Stockwell
We bought two for the EZ's almost six years ago at AutoZone, and one for a spare.

One went bad after 3 years, and the other two are still working on the 405's.

AZ may have "chinafied" their lineup since then??

G

Jerry , your machine may have suffered vapor lock. You really need a electric pump. Duane has had good success with out an external pump on the Kohlers, I did not. I did have good success on the brigs though.

GOOD LUCK

Jerry

Supportive Member
Thanks guys,
One time last summer I did have a problem with vapor lock.It way hot and very humid. I let it cool and removed the engine covers and it started right up. I ran the rest of the summer that way. I have not, in the past, run into any fuel delivery problems. I will look into adding a electric pump maybe as a back up? Thanks again for your help
Jerry

Becker

Name
Becker
Here is the deal.

1. if the van is FI. you need a electric pump.
2. if where the hose taps the fuel tank to the carb is more than 3-4 feet you need a electric fuel pump.

Plain and simple. You more than likely need low pressure 12v fuel pump.

Unless you run off a boat can or similar.

Back
Top Bottom