Resty's

CleanEvo

Just got in from doing a restaurant... midnight and I got a big day tomorrow. How many of you are still doing restaurants?

Don't get me wrong, work is work and money is money... but I'm starting to hate these late night or early morning jobs. The way things have been going this year I don't really need them anymore, but I'm always thinking the slow times may come again.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
why dont you sub them out to a local that is slow and that way if it ever gets slow for you you just start cleaning them again for yourself.

RickL

I got a couple highend one's I do (a country club and event place) but they pay real well .
I know what you mean though the hours are a drag. Mine are as flexable as they can be though and never quibble about anything. So it's nice to count on them every couple months.

Farenheit251

I'll decide this winter if I can cut back on restaurants. As much as they are a pain now I can still remember days in Jan & Feb where I didnt have a single job.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Build up better commercial accounts and then dump the bad ones as you go along.

Walrus said:
Build up better commercial accounts and then dump the bad ones as you go along.

I completley agree. Well you could just go up on your price and if they decline then just move on.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
CleanEvolve said:
Just got in from doing a restaurant... I got a big day tomorrow. How many of you are still doing restaurants? ... I'm starting to hate these late night or early morning jobs.
I feel your pain, Aris. I loved cleaning carpets and I was fine with putting a 12 hour day in on the wand. BUT I HATED and DESPISED coming home, taking a shower, eating supper with the family and kicking back with the knowledge hanging over me that at 10:00 PM I would have to get back into a truck and head out into the cold night to clean a lousy restaurant or two.

So I finally got sick enough of it that we built our regular contract commercial work up enough so that we could form a route out of it. We had a commercial crew of two guys that worked a 40 hour week, starting at 5:00 PM Wednesday and Thursday plus all day on Saturday and Sunday- all of it commercial work with a few "had to be done on the weekend" residential jobs thrown in to the mix. Another big advantage of this arrangement was it gave me a crew that usually could swing back and do the initial extraction on a water loss without having to go to the hassle and expense of calling out my on-call technician for the week. (We paid triple time with a three hour minimum after midnight for a call-out.)

It is a great feeling to pop a cold one after a hard day's work knowing that your crew will break the $1,000.00 mark this night while you will be home sleeping like a baby. Plus pushing a scrub wand at 2:00 AM in some grease pit of a restaurant is probably not the highest and best use of the owner of the business since he will be trashed the next day.

Steve
http://www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS Now to get to the Critical Mass of a regular commercial route takes a lot of work too. But it is an investment that can pay off over the long term. We were still cleaning some of the first contracts I signed up when I sold the business 16 years later. Plus the fact that your business actually has written contracts will make it much more appealing to a potential buyer. For a step by step guide to how we built the route in my company go here for a free "no-spam" download:

http://www.strategiesforsuccess.com/755 ... commercial

Remember that you don't need to have enough work for a 40 hour week to start the "regular route" concept and get yourself out of night work. Once you have enough work for one night a week there are a lot of people that will cheerfully do this for extra part time work- especially since you should be grossing enough that you can pay quite well. Or you can go the sub-contract route mentioned above but your profit will be smaller and your control of how the jobs are done will be less.

CleanEvo

Steve Toburen said:
CleanEvolve said:
Just got in from doing a restaurant... I got a big day tomorrow. How many of you are still doing restaurants? ... I'm starting to hate these late night or early morning jobs.
I feel your pain, Aris. I loved cleaning carpets and I was fine with putting a 12 hour day in on the wand. BUT I HATED and DESPISED coming home, taking a shower, eating supper with the family and kicking back with the knowledge hanging over me that at 10:00 PM I would have to get back into a truck and head out into the cold night to clean a lousy restaurant or two.

You nailed it Steve!

Thanks for the suggestion, that is a good idea. Right now I'm having a hard enough time finding one guy that would be good enough to send out on his own. I need to find that first to get the time to build up accounts like you are suggesting.

Back
Top Bottom