Review of DD12 and Quat-a-lot...Useless.

Had a 800 sqft apt....heavy smell of DOG...no urine.
Carpet is in great shape after cleaning... looks almost new...but smell of dog is terrible.

Used DD12 bio... padded it in with 90 lb pad machine, extracted with Rotovac 360....useless...odor remained.

Used Quat and DD12 together.... about 2 gals of mix per room...padded it in ....light reduction...but odor remained...waste of time and money.

Going back tomorrow and will try Odorcide...if that doesn't work... PM will tear out the carpet.

Anybody got any ideas...I don't get paid for the treatment or carpet cleaning if they have to tear it out.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
DevilThomas said:

Then why are you using urine products? Try this; Vacuum well to get most of the dander then use an encapsulated protein digesting enzyme prespray like Bio-break, or Powermax to break down body oil.

Name
George Valliant
Amen brother!

That freeking shit is useless! Regardless the hype...

I listened to the hype and ended up looking like a total fool.

The only thing that kept me from ripping up the carpet and tossing it was Larry Cobbs Cherry OdorSolve.

He's got a shitload of killer pet odor removal products.

He also carry's his own in house brand of Odorcide at a fraction the cost.

Powermax, PowderBrightner, and Cherry OdorSolve. I always have plenty on hand!

The enzymes in powermax even help to remove urin stain.

Is it any wonder greenie and I don't get along?

Name
George Valliant
Odorcide will knock out the smell but that stuff is over $100 per gallon. Think larry sells it for $30ish.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
If it’s what have on hand, sure. I think Powerburst’s enzymes may be geared more towrds grease then this type of protein. Try boosting it with some citrus solvent. Bio-Break is the best thing I have found for heavy body oil soiling and funky smell. Why cover it with odorcide if you can remove the source?

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
With 8 dogs and 2 cats in the house at the moment, I use Quat-A-Lot all the time, in fact I just ordered a case of gallons JUST FOR MY PERSONAL USE!!

For me, it works wonders on urine odor.

Take care,
Lisa

truckmount girl said:
With 8 dogs and 2 cats in the house at the moment, I use Quat-A-Lot all the time, in fact I just ordered a case of gallons JUST FOR MY PERSONAL USE!!

For me, it works wonders on urine odor.

Take care,
Lisa

I understand Lisa...but this is not Urine odor...its extreme doggie BO...and Quat was useless on it....perhaps Quat works on Urine...but it sure doesn't work in this situation...perhaps they should label it for Urine only!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
DevilThomas said:
Could I use PowerBurst?

I would..probably add plenty sodium perc to the mix too.
but first.... vacuum, VACUUM VACUUM
Ron Werner the hell out of it

Nuke it, then THOROUGH flush/rinse extract.
Leave that POS 360 in the van ..use a wand and give it SLOW THOROUGH flush/rinse back strokes and slow forward and back dry strokes......then pray.... :mrgreen:

any Hydromaster chem dealers near you?
we've had good success with MultiPhase deo for dog dander.

It may not be just dander though.
I was fooled on a condo we did a couple years ago.
I was SURE it was just dog smell...not urine.
It didn't smell like dog urine and there were no stains....just "dog" smell that we couldn't get rid of.

It wasn't til I pulled the carpet back that I see the urine contamination .
We removed the affected pad, saturated both sides of carpet with a watering can of sodium perc, gave a 15-20 minute dwell and extracted both sides

and prayed... :mrgreen:

That fixed it

..L.T.A.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
If there is urine, you have to let the Quat get to all the urine....I mix it up a gallon at a time and flood urine spots with it, let it dwell for at least 15 minutes. I want to wet it all the way down to the subfloor, because that's where the urine pools, especially in older carpet where the pad is worn.

Take care,
Lisa

Name
I'm Rick James
You didnt vacuum it good enough. I use multiphase and bac out with great success. This just sounds like a dander/oil issue.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Source of odor deeper than you cleaned?

Quat-a-Lot and DD12 works for me.

green guy

Scrub a slightly heavy powdered oxidizer as a pre cond Give a 20 dwell time and extract with a 4 that has encap in it. I like Axiom by Prochem. Works every time the carpet will really look bright and restored.

OK..what I have to work with is O2, PowerBurst, a new gallon of Odorcide, Qt of DD12 Bio, Qt of Quat.

So tomorrow...I will vac the hell out of it, spray the Odorcide and then Nuke the carpet with 3 scoops per gal of Powerburst. This is my last chance on this carpet....Larry...are you sure I really have to "pray"...(he shudders)... :lol:

When I intially cleaned the carpet I used Grime Reaper because the carpet wasn't too bad and I wanted to try it for cleaning..it cleaned Ok, carpet looked good.)...had a sample I hadn't tried. In hindsight, I should have nuked it with PowerBurst the first time.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
DevilThomas said:
OK..what I have to work with is O2, PowerBurst, a new gallon of Odorcide, Qt of DD12 Bio, Qt of Quat.

So tomorrow...I will vac the hell out of it, spray the Odorcide and then Nuke the carpet with 3 scoops per gal of Powerburst. This is my last chance on this carpet....Larry...are you sure I really have to "pray"...(he shudders)... :lol:

When I intially cleaned the carpet I used Grime Reaper because the carpet wasn't too bad and I wanted to try it for cleaning..it cleaned Ok, carpet looked good.)...had a sample I hadn't tried. In hindsight, I should have nuked it with PowerBurst the first time.

stop by the grocery store and pick up some OxyClean (main ingredient is sodium perc) to boost with.
add two scoops of Oxy, 2 scoops Powerburst, and 2oz per of 02 pr
2+2+2 pr gal in hot water

and pray..... :lol: :lol:

if it's just dog dander, the thorough vac is essential .
the love potion should take care of oils and odor,

Dribble some Alqua Velva in the down the heating registers....

..L.T.A.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I use big D mint enzymeD works great for urine and wonders in my apartments just spray it don in a pump up. I also fog the units with a different enzyme product. I fog the heck out of the units. about an hour, I get the air ducts good as well. I have lots of stinky apartments. I mean tons

I can guarantee you that carpet is going to smell like dog no matter what you do. I had one like that with a wet dog smell that was flea infested and I did EVERYTHING to it and it still smelled like dog. Your choices are burn it, take it up and wash it, or paint the backing and pad with Killz, clean the carpet and soak it with the strongest odor counteractant you have. I think the last option will work for you. I had one with a horrible urine smell and used killz, hydrmaster ups, and bioenzyme. I went back a couple weeks later and smelled the carpet and there was no smell at all thanks to the Killz.

Also if you use hydramaster ups or similar you will notice you actually pull out a lot more urine if it is present than just cleaning it. I have never tried oricide. Powerburst won't do much for you in this situation nor will O2.

If I had to do the job I would vacuum, pull the carpet up and paint the backing and pad in bad areas with killz, powerstretch, soak with bioenzyme, and use bioenzyme as a rinse with lukewarm water. I guarantee that will work. I used that process on a bad urine job. I went back several weeks later and smelled the carpet. There was not even the slightest odor in the carpet.

You will need to charge accordingly

Name
George Valliant
DevilThomas said:

So tomorrow...I will vac the hell out of it, spray the Odorcide and then Nuke the carpet with 3 scoops per gal of Powerburst.

Its been a while since I used Odorcide but shouldn't that be applied as The Final Step?

I can't remember the directions but at $100/ gallon are you sure you want to wash it away with a HWE?

Carpet Cleaning Fool said:
DevilThomas said:

So tomorrow...I will vac the hell out of it, spray the Odorcide and then Nuke the carpet with 3 scoops per gal of Powerburst.

Its been a while since I used Odorcide but shouldn't that be applied as The Final Step?

I can't remember the directions but at $100/ gallon are you sure you want to wash it away with a HWE?

Odorcide says that it is most effective on a dry carpet...says it works on contact, and to extract excess.
At this point, I've got so much in this carpet ...maybe I will apply before and after...another $25 of product is no big deal...if it works ..I can charge the job and make all invested back and quite a bit more...of course that is only if it works...

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
what's with the "padding it in"?
Spray it on thick, work it in with a grooming brush. Let it sit. Quat-a-lot has gotten rid of many smells for me, not all but many. Most times it didn't work I didn't let it dwell enough.
Hit it with a good dose of 02 and hotsauce, scrub that in, let it dwell, give a thorough rinse.
And of course, before you even think of water, dry extract!!

R

rotovacguy

Thomas, I've used Sporicidin in the past with excellent results, it has yet to let me down. They make the standard disinfectant, and an enzymatic solution, which is what I'd use here. I use the standard when doing duct cleaning sanitizing, and the enzymatic when dealing with nasty carpets. Just give it 10-15 minutes dwell to do it's thing, give plenty of rinse strokes, set up an air mover or two.....should do the trick.

Sporicidin® Enzymatic Cleaner
Description

Sporicidin® Brand Enzymatic Cleaner is a blend of enzymes in a low foaming solution formulated to loosen and remove dried debris, protein, blood and mucin deposits. It effectively cleans both natural and synthetic fibers that have been soiled with organic and inorganic debris. Can be used in ultrasonic units, automatic washers and evacuation systems. This highly effective cleaner and stain remover has a neutral pH and is biodegradable, nonflammable and nontoxic. Ideal for use as a pre-cleaner mold/IAQ remediation/restoration and household use.
Recommended Uses

* Pre-cleaner for mold/IAQ remediation/restoration
* Carpet, fabric and upholstery cleaning
* Pet stain and odor removal
* Ultrasonic cleaning
* Cleans clothing and linens
* Safe for use in automatic washers
* Removes dried blood and protein stains
* Cleans rubber, plastics, stainless steel, vinyl and much more
* Deodorizes as it cleans

Features and Benefits

* Non-staining
* Non-toxic
* Non-flammable
* Mildly alkaline (pH 7.5)
* Low foaming, concentrated formulation
* Special blend containing a cellulose enzyme and a proteinizing enzyme for cleaning and removing material stains and breaking down both organic and inorganic debris
* Contains enzyme preservative for added stability
* Safe for use on rubber, stainless steel, vinyl, plastics, linens, clothing, carpets, fabrics and upholstery
* Reduces the need for manual scrubbing
* Economical highly concentrated formula - 1 ounce makes 1 gallon of cleaning solution

Carpet Cleaning:

Cleans: Sporicidin® Disinfectant Solution contains an effective combination of surfactants which break down and remove soils and stains commonly found in carpets. When used as part of a carpet maintenance program, Sporicidin® helps carpets last longer. Decontaminates: Sporicidin® Disinfectant Solution removes and limits the growth of new organisms. Deodorizes: Sporicidin® Disinfectant Solution kills the organisms that cause odors.

Pre-test for colorfastness by applying Sporicidin® to an inconspicuous area and rubbing with a clean white cloth. If the color changes or transfers to the cloth, a water-based cleaning method should not be used.

Pre-Spray Method: Sporicidin® Disinfectant Solution can be applied to carpets using a pressure sprayer. Wet carpet with Sporicidin® Disinfectant Solution and brush or roll into carpet nap. Allow carpets to remain damp for 10 minutes before extracting. Sporicidin® Disinfectant Solution is pre-mixed and ready to use.

Portable/Truckmount Method: Add Sporicidin® Disinfectant Solution to tank or bottle. Pre-treat heavily soiled or contaminated areas prior to final cleaning and extraction. After extraction, set carpet pile in one direction with carpet rake or brush and raise furniture legs until dry. Air movers may be used to speed the drying process. Sporicidin® Disinfectant Solution is pre-mixed and ready to use.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
DevilThomas said:

With what you have listen to Larry..sort of. Vacuum vacuum vacuum then mix up your powerburst as normal add 2 oz o2 which is just liquid peroxide and citrus solv and add 4 oz of odorcide. Prespray that then agitate. FLUSH the crap out of it. Mix up 8oz of Odorcide in a gallon and spray that then rake in and dry the floor. If that doesn't get rid of the smell I'll send you 1/2 Gallon of Odorcide Free.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
DevilThomas said:
Carpet is in great shape after cleaning... looks almost new...but smell of dog is terrible.

Used DD12 bio... padded it in with 90 lb pad machine, extracted with Rotovac 360....useless...odor remained.

Used Quat and DD12 together.... about 2 gals of mix per room...padded it in ....light reduction...but odor remained...waste of time and money.

Going back tomorrow and will try Odorcide...if that doesn't work... PM will tear out the carpet.

Anybody got any ideas...I don't get paid for the treatment or carpet cleaning if they have to tear it out.

Call Cobb and tell him your problem....he has the best products for situations like this...........and his prices beats most......

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Jim he was asking what he can do with what he has, he wasn't trying to get SOLD anything :?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I understand that and apparently what he has did not work for him so for future problems like this now he..and others..may have a resource that may help.....

DevilThomas said:

Thomas,

What would work with this situation is 4 ounces of O2 prespray and 2 ounces of Quat-A-Lot mixed together. At this dilution ratio, your total parts per million of disinfectant will be over 6,000 ppm. There are a lot of good products that would work, but I have found there is no substitute for pure strength. With just about any chemical, the stronger you make it, the more effective it is. It also decreases the required dwell time. In most cases there are other problems like Larry mentioned. The product just didn’t make contact with the source.

Quaternary ammonia mainly deals with biological odor sources. The sodium borate in the O2 system also deals with biological causes and deals with other sources of odor. Hospitals use quaternary ammonia at 400 parts per million for general cleaning and sanitation. If anyone wants to know what their ppm of any product they are using is, just take the percentage of disinfectant product in the bottle and divide it by how many ounces you dilute it with. You will find that you are using those products at a dilution ratio of around 500 to 600 parts per million. These lower dilution ratios will work as long as they are given enough dwell time and the area stays wet. With an increase in the ppm of disinfectant properties the need for dwell time is almost eliminated.

One last thing I would like to mention is that I think I would spray the mixture of O2 and Quat down heavy with a sprayer, agitate it in with a power scrubber, and give it about 15 minutes before extraction.

Reactions: SM Car

hogjowl

Idiot™
I'll know if this works by the end of today. Last week I had a job that had a really bad doggy odor. No pee, just a wet dog smell. I didn't have any quat-a-lot, so I used DD-12 instead. The odor did not go away and the owner had the padding replaced on my suggestion and sealed the sub-floor and tacking strips. I am going back over there today to hit the carpet again.

I'll see ...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom