Rinse PH

mdash29

What PH do you guys use for general cleaning on your pre-spray and Rinse.

Michael

depends what the prespray is, when using the 02 spray rinse with 02rinse ph of 9, when using higher ph prespray, rinse with an acid ph of 2.5-3 like all fiber rinse or fabset from bridgepoint, the key is to leave the carpet in a slightly neutreul state.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
most all residential I pre spray with either a 9.5 for lighter soil or a 11 with a citrus booster for the nastys. I almost always use an acid rinse unless it is a restraunt , or it is totaly trashed then I use cti pro powder emulsifier

Greenie

O2 rinse is a pH of 7, no need for any other "acid" rinses if you ask me. It's probably Judson's most successful product judging by sales and repeat buyers. no mixing, 16 oz in a 5 gal headpack, meter at 3 gph.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Greenie said:
O2 rinse is a pH of 7, no need for any other "acid" rinses if you ask me. It's probably Judson's most successful product judging by sales and repeat buyers. no mixing, 16 oz in a 5 gal headpack, meter at 3 gph.

Really I thought it was 1 quart to 5 gallon and meter at 2-4gph... perhaps I've been doing it wrong the whole time.

Zee

Greenie

Les used to have a lower gph set of instructions, basically you used twice as much in the headpack (32oz) and metered at a low low setting (2 gph), but these Dwyer meters jsut seem to draw more consitantly in the mid-range, so he changed to half as much metered higher for a more uniform draw.

most of the stuff out there has the old instructions, it's new.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Thanks Greenie.

I noticed that too that it is more consistent at higher gph settings.

Zee

Name
Shawn Forsythe
There are two reasons to use a "true rinse" product.

1) pH correction
2) surfactant residue removal

Since this thread focuses only on the former, one has to consider what kind of pH correction is needed.

Most of the time, for simple restorative cleaning, you are simple wanting to leave the fiber in a favorable pH range, as opposed to an undesired pH range that your prespray might be. This being the case, you are best off simply choosing a rinse product with that desired end state pH. If your goal is neutral, then choosing a neutral rinse product is just fine.

However, if you have a situation where there has been taken place a reaction on the carpet due to high alkalinity, then an acidic product might be required to reverse or improve the situation. This being the case, perhaps a slightly buffered acidic rinse would be preferred. But in all cases, you ought not select any rinse product you intend to use as a final step be one that would be a pH outside what would be favorable to the fiber if left remaining. This precludes the logic that one would use an acid with a pH as far from neutral as the undesired beginning state of the carpet is alkaline past neutral. In other words, it's not a simple task of arithmetic to decide what pH rinse to use. Simply select one with the desired end state pH and thoroughly flush. In those cases where you need an acid for correction, simply try for one that will have a compatible end state pH, and you're done.

Greenie

Now Shawn is gonna make me put a splash of acedic acid in the Judd rinse to see what i get for a final pH.

mdash29

How many actually measure with a PH meter after they are done cleaning or during? Just curious.

Michael

Name
Shawn Forsythe
mdash29 said:
How many actually measure with a PH meter after they are done cleaning or during? Just curious.

Michael

Good question. It is also one that had to be discussed in the current revising of the S-100 standard. The answer is not many, and the consensus is that the standard of care should not require it - for routine cleaning. It is also behind very reasoning that if one selects a rinse that has a pH in the target range for the final state of the carpet fiber, that thorough rinsing with such product should leave the fiber within a reasonable state, without the need to monitor the carpet fiber pH. However, there are a couple of other factors that must hold true for this to be considered a safe assumption.

First, all the chemicals being used should fall within specifications outlined by the manufacturers of the carpets. The manufacturers themselves try to simplify matters by putting things in the hands of entities like the CRI (seal of approval) and Woolsafe to provide for a means without involving too much headache for those making decisions on what to use. If the product has no third party certification, then it is up to the chemical manufacturer to offer reasonable instruction on the use of their products such that you can use them and maintain the integrity of the carpet/fiber.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom