FB7777

Took this rug in , cleaned it ... laid flat to dry and this happens

What would you try first?

C89E0647-B843-404B-A057-8041487368CD.jpeg

• Angry
Reactions: Nomad74
F

FB7777

Is there A Thread here that explains the blocking procedure?

This rug is 8.5 x 11.5

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Would you clean again and then block while wet?
It's not all rippled, just the edge binding that was likely NOT pre-shrunk.

You can take a jiffy steamer, flip it over on itself and smooth out the ripples. You can also wet it and as mentioned tack it down to plywood
so it dries flat.

I believe the bigger issue will be if it wants to go back to rippled on it's own in days, weeks, months. Unless the rug owners understand it was a defect to begin with, it could end up being your rug. Or at least an annoying reservice.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Is there A Thread here that explains the blocking procedure?

This rug is 8.5 x 11.5
Not sure this is going to be easy to block, as the center of the rug needs to grow enough to get the edges flat, while not putting more stress on those edges. If there is someone in the area that has some experience with blocking, it might be worth letting them handle it.

Name
Jeff T
Not sure this is going to be easy to block, as the center of the rug needs to grow enough to get the edges flat, while not putting more stress on those edges. If there is someone in the area that has some experience with blocking, it might be worth letting them handle it.
This.
Blocking involves a large, very structured wood surface, ALOT of stainless nails,(think finishing nails), and a way to elevate the centre of the rug, (think A-frame tent...).
And some skill; Actually ALOT of skill..
Go with Brian’s suggestion...
Could be wrong, but it looks like a tufted rug. The backing dried at a different rate than the face fibre, and would be next to impossible to fix 100% without creating more damage...

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I've hand stretched some rugs, someone equal size/strength holding opposite edge and pulling, and working around the rug several times

but thats been on traditional hand knotted

*like these dudes

Last edited:
Reactions: Sierra Clean Care
F

FB7777

Boston? It would be worth your time to meet the folks at BonTon in Watertown. Great people, great resource.
I talked to Buzz this afternoon. Sent him the picture and waiting for his response

would love to drop it off to him and have him correct the issue

Reactions: Willy P
Name
Doug B
What would you try first?
Not on that floor, but the first thing I would try is to get it wet all the way through for about a foot all the way around. Let it soak in. Then extract toward the edge, not along it. See if it relaxes. You can always try something more complex if that doesn't work.

If you don't find a solution, you can provide them with some complimentary rug grippers.

Reactions: FB7777
Name
Jeff T
I would bet in a few weeks it will settle down. I had a very similar situation
It looks like that one ripple is from them hanging it to dry.
On a 2 to 4”bar...
HAS to be 6 to 8” perforated...speed dry using multiple forced air, use wood spring clamps, and control humidity in the drying area...
Post vac/brush, fringe work, make sure client is HAPPY....

AdamDumphy

Name
Adam Dumphy
What I've done a few months ago when I had a rug ripple on me over night while drying was recleaning it, laying it face down and running boards over the backing and placing weights and other heavy objects to get it to lay flat once again. But the rug I had ripple on me had a 2 inch wide leather siding all the way around the rug and from talking to other rug cleaners what they think happened was environment temp change for the rug. Since customer had heated floors in their home and my shop in winter stays at best 50 degrees. But I've known others to do the same thing I did with other rugs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom