Rippling or wavy gravy

Mikey P

Administrator
Rippling

Wall to wall carpeting can experience ripping or become wavy for a few reasons

1. Improper Installation​

If a carpet is not stretched properly during installation. IICRC Installation Standards call for the installer to utilize a pole or power stretcher whenever possible. This will stretch your carpet from wall to wall. If your installer is only using the knee kicker to install your carpet, it is not going to be stretched enough to meet manufacturers’ specifications.

2. Low Quality or Improper Padding

Low quality padding may save you some money up front, but in the long run, it can cost you. It is a good idea to check the carpet manufacturer's specifications for padding. For example, if you are purchasing a cut pile carpet, you will want padding that is no greater than seven-sixteenths of an inch thick and no less than a six-pound density. Again, check with the manufacturer for the specs for your specific carpet. Selecting the improper padding can void the manufacturer’s warranty and lead to your carpet becoming wrinkled and rippled.

3. Over-wetting​

This can be the result of improper cleaning, flooding or moisture in the subfloor. Over-wetting can be avoided by utilizing a properly trained and IICRC certified technician. Ongoing moisture issues should be look at by a IICRC Certified Flooring Inspector

4. Delamination- (see the IICRC Delamination Information Sheet for further information)

If your carpet has experienced rippling or has gotten wavy after it’s been cleaned, DO NOT TAKE ANY MEASURES TO CORRECT the issue for 48 hours. Improperly installed (loose) carpet will settle down and lay flat again 99% of the time.

The moisture and humidity created during the cleaning process, even Low Moisture methods, will often cause the backing material to swell a bit, causing some rippling. This effect will happen every time you have your carpet cleaned, this and the fact that tightly installed carpeting wears better and lasts longer, it is highly recommended to have your carpet re-stretched by a IICRC Certified Carpet Repairman.

edit suggestions welcomed..

Reactions: Johnny

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Rippling

Wall to wall carpeting can experience ripping or become wavy for a few reasons

1. Improper Installation​

If a carpet is not stretched properly during installation. IICRC Installation Standards call for the installer to utilize a pole or power stretcher whenever possible. This will stretch your carpet from wall to wall. If your installer is only using the knee kicker to install your carpet, it is not going to be stretched enough to meet manufacturers’ specifications.

2. Low Quality or Improper Padding

Low quality padding may save you some money up front, but in the long run, it can cost you. It is a good idea to check the carpet manufacturer's specifications for padding. For example, if you are purchasing a cut pile carpet, you will want padding that is no greater than seven-sixteenths of an inch thick and no less than a six-pound density. Again, check with the manufacturer for the specs for your specific carpet. Selecting the improper padding can void the manufacturer’s warranty and lead to your carpet becoming wrinkled and rippled.

3. Over-wetting​

This can be the result of improper cleaning, flooding or moisture in the subfloor. Over-wetting can be avoided by utilizing a properly trained and IICRC certified technician. Ongoing moisture issues should be look at by a IICRC Certified Flooring Inspector

4. Delamination- (see the IICRC Delamination Information Sheet for further information)

If your carpet has experienced rippling or has gotten wavy after it’s been cleaned, DO NOT TAKE ANY MEASURES TO CORRECT the issue for 48 hours. Improperly installed (loose) carpet will settle down and lay flat again 99% of the time.

The moisture and humidity created during the cleaning process, even Low Moisture methods, will often cause the backing material to swell a bit, causing some rippling. This effect will happen every time you have your carpet cleaned, this and the fact that tightly installed carpeting wears better and lasts longer, it is highly recommended to have your carpet re-stretched by a IICRC Certified Carpet Repairman.

edit suggestions welcomed..

Good information.

Change "utilize" and "utilizing" to "use" and "using". (You welcomed suggestions.)

Reactions: Mikey P

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
If you ever need proofreading done my actual degree is BS in Professional Writing. Email me or FB messenger whatever you want proofed. If you need help with content you’re screwed but grammar and sentence structure, I got you.

Mikey P

Administrator
If you ever need proofreading done my actual degree is BS in Professional Writing. Email me or FB messenger whatever you want proofed. If you need help with content you’re screwed but grammar and sentence structure, I got you.
Lets talk later 775 552 5429

Do you have a gmail addy?

FredC

Village Idiot
I didn't check this particular document but this should be the first step in reviewing anything @Mikey P writes:

than.jpg

Reactions: Desk Jockey

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Don't know whether you dictate these and never proof read but this ain't one of your better attempts.
IMHO Avoid the run-on sentences. That last one is a classic bit of gobbledygook,
plus the ones that don't actually go anywhere like the first one in the Improper Installation.

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
I don’t care if you don’t help him
I try my best to do what I say I’m going to do. We got a lake effect snow storm yesterday. Snow started Monday night and didn’t stop until this morning, we got at least a foot, possibly 18” it’s hard to tell, but I didn’t make it to the office yesterday because taking Cole to the babysitter was out of the question. It will get done, as soon as life stops getting in the way.

162C3583-BCCB-466F-A7D6-32BF94BA60D9.jpeg 80E41028-20AF-4FE8-8CBD-31B122DE4277.jpeg 134958AB-FDD8-4B95-95B4-B3F3EF2BEC59.jpeg 67D560F8-3F1A-4ABF-B63D-8734E80EEA4B.jpeg

Reactions: hogjowl and Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom